BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Plugging help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Plugging help Reply with quote

My mate has jus got a just got a screw threw his new BT 020. I suggested plugging it, but he seems to think its illegal and comes with a risk of high speed blowouts..... is he right about it being illegal. And what speeds would cause a high speed blowout? ? ? ?

The screw wasnt in the side of the wall, but has since been taken out.

cheers, chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=94058&highlight=tyre+repairs

By removing the screw, you will now have a slow leaking puncture. Any plugs or repairs will be a stop gap measure, and as the rear tyre is so important for grip and handling I'd save my money and get a new tyre.

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a BT020 puncture repaired on my ZRX1100 with no problems. As long as it isn't near the sidewall you will have no worries. Wink

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 03 Dec 2006    Post subject: Re: Plugging help Reply with quote

fenton wrote:
My mate has jus got a just got a screw threw his new BT 020. I suggested plugging it, but he seems to think its illegal and comes with a risk of high speed blowouts..... is he right about it being illegal. And what speeds would cause a high speed blowout? ? ? ?

The screw wasnt in the side of the wall, but has since been taken out.

cheers, chris

A tyre fitter will be able to tell you exactly what is and what isn't illegal.

However, I had a puncture repaired on a car once. Never leaked, never blew out but I just found myself losing faith in it and replaced it soon after. That was on a car with 3 other tyres. Puncture repair on a bike? You must be joking. It's a new tyre for me, every time.

fredsredhat
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:41 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a puncture in a 020 about 400 miles into the tyre! I couldn't decide if to repair or relpace. In the end i got it repaired, and for the first few weeks i was very concious and nervous. I then went out for a blast with a faster than me mate, totally forgot about the repair and had a good old run. That increased my confidence 1000% used the tyre till the end of its life like i'd use an un-punctured tyre, without a problem Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a flat tyre last week, came out from work and saw it was flat but it was pitch black so couldn't see the damage, so just got it picked up and taken to my local honda garage (insurance has free recovery cover).
I was gutted, expecting to have to buy a new rear tyre, but when I called to ask about it the next day they said they'd already repaired it! 17 euros. I wasn't sure about it, but the garage is a professional looking outfit and I figure if they could of charged me for a new tyre and fitting then they would have.

Krakatoa
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 05:45 - 09 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO there`s a 1000 variable`s on this subject.

I`ve used repairs a few times now, and i cant complain about them. They work. This isn`t the `70`s with dodgy cross plys etc. We`ve recently had a team of builders move through the estate(im lucky enough to live with the lovable council Laughing ), and i picked up a screw a week for 3 weeks(Always the rear too). Try chasing the council or builders for a new tyre. I simply cannot afford to throw out £80 odd a week on a tyre. £15 was bad enough.

However, i don`t exactly use hot rubber on my bike, nor does it have well over 100 bhp at the back wheel, so if i had something with a little more zest, then maybe i wouldn`t.

The guy at the tyre centre says they are autobahn tested so that must count for something.(I wonder who was mad enough?)

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:58 - 09 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre plugs are supposedly guaranteed for the life of your tyre.

I personally have ad no problems with them and would highly recommend. Thumbs Up

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would all the people who refuse to plug their tyres please send them to me, I will pay postage +£5 for your time after seeing a photo and being told tread depth if they are radial tyres.

I also extend this offer to BT45's and other tyres in the 15/60X17 and 110-70X17 sizes.

Thank you.

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i vote for lozzy being a milf,

right, since i posted that he hasnt done anything to it, part from take the screw outand has been riding it since, and the tyre hasnt gone down or anything.... any ideas why its not going down?

Chris.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:18 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is not illegal to repair a ZR rated tyre, but it is against the British Standards the tyre places are meant to work to.

I have had quite a few of them repaired without any problems. Likely far safer than using one of those goos that you add to a tyre to prevent punctures.

One issue is the position of the hole. Most places are likely to refuse to put a repair close to another repair. Also plenty will refuse to repair a hole from a screw rather than a nail (the screw is more likely to chew up the tyre internals as it goes through).

All the best

Keith

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers keith,

im still trying to get my head around why the tyre isnt deflating seeing as its been punctured.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:45 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Maybe someone in the past has filled the tyre with that sealing goo.

If so take care. Know someone on here who had it and had no problems until they went for a spirited run some time after getting a puncture. And the back of the bike came back coated in a fairly nasty colour goo, while the tyre pressure had dropped.

All the best

Keith

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its definately not got goo in it, hes only had these tyres for little under a month... the older tyres he got with the bike had that goo in them. When the mechanic went to remove the tyre it explode him and covered him in the shit. Mucho funny.

I cant get my head around it, i thought it might of been the pressure of the air in the tyre sum how closing up the gap, but it would do the opposite wouldnt it?

cheers, chris

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:56 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Suppose if it dislodged a flap of rubber the pressure might push it flat and seal it, but not likely.

Did it go in at an angle, so it just went between the rubber of the tyre and the actual plies, rather than going fully into the tyre.

All the best

Keith

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not too sure... as i wasnt there when it happened. but he said it was touching the metal of the wheel.... but the wheel doesnt seem like its deflating, even when im on as pillion it seems rock hard

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 18:59 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenton wrote:
how do i vote for lozzy being a milf,

I saw that!! Laughing

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Firstly throw her over the back of a chair, then pull her Scanties down then roughly open her legs...Oh you mean Plugging a Tyre.....

Sorry...

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 18 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozzy you know i think your a milf. dont try and hide it.

LOL up for plugging ?

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 04:31 - 18 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1