Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

You should all try this

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: You should all try this Reply with quote

https://www.transportdirect.info/

Right, so, the government wants us all, eventually, to use public transport and ditch cars and bikes etc in favour of trains and buses.

The website above lets you see just how effective the public transport system is in the UK Laughing

It might be great if you work in and around London, or another major city. But for thse of us elsewhere, try putting yor commute to work in and see just how much time you can save (there's sarcasm there, trust me, I've already tried it)!

Wink

Last edited by Adam_P on 11:23 - 05 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:16 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Re: You should all try this Reply with quote

Apparantly it would take 25 minutes by bus/walking.
However it reckons 19 minutes by car for 2.2miles Neutral.

Actually takes about 5 mins by car or push bike, or a bit less by motorbike Smile.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:27 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

44 mins by car.. 56 mins by bus...

I don't doubt the 56 mins by bus, but I've seen me do the trip in 20 mins.

in fact on one occasion, at 4am, when our systems went down and I was called out, I've done bed to office desk in 25 mins.

What this site Doesn't demonstrate is the convenience.

I can walk down to the carpark under the building, in the dry. get in my car, or on the bike, and go.. I don't have to wait 30 mins in the rain if I happen to leave at 17:01 instead of 17:00

{edit}

there's also the ever-present fundamental flaw in public transport...

It's Public!

a

Last edited by feef on 11:29 - 05 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from experience that my journey is about 5-10 minutes faster by motorbike than by tube. The cost is the same.

However, what this doesn't take into account is the fact that if I ride in I arrive with a big smile on my face but if I get the tube in I'm ready to strangle the first person who talks to me. Even if you *can* save time by taking public transport, it's not just about that.

gixxersixx
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:36 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 to 57 minutes by bus & tube 23 minutes by car, actually takes 15 mins by bike & thats to central london so that just shows the public transport system in london isnt that good, its got to be at least equivalent and convenient for me to start using it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a joke... journey into work:

Bus/walk 1hr 8mins, 1 change.
Car 38 mins, in the car it would actually be about an 1hr due to traffic but on the bike - 25mins!

journey home:

Finish 5.30pm but have to wait till 6pm for the bus

Bus/walk 1hr 35mins, 3 changes, get home 7.35pm
Car 37mins, again more like an hour but on bike another 25mins!

So on the bike I get to work in less than half the time than any other way. And on the way home, over an hour earlier every day - ridiculous to suggest I should use public transport!

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have reasonably decent public transport though.

I put in my former commute to where I used to work, which is literally one village away and only 6 miles up the road, took me 10 mins in the car and that was through security and across an RAF base.

When I put the same journey in for public transport.
It sends me on a 2 and a half hour jaunt to two towns, using two buses and a train (the nearest station being 12 miles from me!) before getting me to the same place.

Oh and even though I told it I wanted/needed to set off at 8:30, it didn't actually start until 9:21... Rolling Eyes

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. A return trip to work on public transport (bus/train) will consume 4 hrs 28 mins and £11:20 per day, whereas the bike takes 1 hr 20 mins and around £3 per day.

So I should choose to spend 22 hours 20 mins and £56 pounds a week being herded around like cattle on feelthy steenking buses and trains, only to turn up an hour and a half late for work every day?

I really don't think so.

Last edited by bazza on 13:37 - 05 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one.

https://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7940/dailyjourneyfe6.jpg

It takes me between 11-15 minutes on the bike, not that I've got a record I try to beat or anything. Shifty

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 minutes by bus
16 minutes by car.
I can actually do the trip in 10-15 minutes by bike, cheaper than either option, and arrive at work with a big grin Thumbs Up Wink
The commute has a hell of a lot more to it than saving 10 or 20 minutes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

drumwrecker
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:10 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not defending Transpoert Direct but did you include the time for putting all your gear on, getting bike out of the garage or from under cover, warming it up etc. Although I don't work now it is often quicker by car when all the above is taken into account.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 14:12 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

drumwrecker wrote:
I'm not defending Transpoert Direct but did you include the time for putting all your gear on, getting bike out of the garage or from under cover, warming it up etc. Although I don't work now it is often quicker by car when all the above is taken into account.

car or bike.. doesn't matter.. it's how long it takes compared to Public transport that's the issue.

a

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 14:21 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to use my bike, my journey takes 1 hour. This is door to desk, including togging up. The car, assuming no jams on the M1, is 1 hour 15 minutes. Public transport would be 2 hours, 40 minutes. This assumes I make each of the connections, and none of them are late.

This is an extra 3 hours, 20 minutes a day or 16 hours, 40 minutes a week. That's almost half a working week. Or, assuming 6 weeks holiday a year, an extra 106 working days a year.

No thanks.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

alone
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:34 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who here thinks that site takes into account delays/cancelled public transport?..
I got 1h54minutes by public transport and;
42minutes by car.

I can do it in 30minutes by bike. Longest it took was 40minutes, cus it was pissing it down and everyone decided 40 was a better speed limit.

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I work shifts
early starting at 6am - 23 mins car/bike (about right)
1 hour 4 mins walk bus (about right)
But it tells me that I need to get the bus the night before at 22.30

so thats 7.5 hours for me to get the bus and 23 mins on bike/car hmmm Smile

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 16:03 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, interesting that that website says that it takes the bus 49 minutes to complete the journey from Stourbridge to Wolverhampton, and a car 57 minutes.

Not sure how it's worked that out as I drive the bus route every day and I am pretty sure that the only place where there could be a difference in speed is a stretch of dual carriageway (with a bus stop half way along it).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm if I was still doing some on-site stuff at a client it would take me 2 hours 7 minutes compared to 35 minutes on the bike. Nice.

I actually doubt it would be possible at all to bus it as it's out in the sticks and afaik there's only a bus once or twice a day there followed by a very long walk.

aha-shake
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:00 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!

Its very accurate with its bus time on mine, 46 minutes.. I took that bus for a year and it was usally about 50 minutes, so not bad, but it didnt take into account that it was literally 15 minutes late every day.

It also says that the journey takes 26 minutes by car.

Well, on the 125 I once did it in 7 minutes, though that was at 4am.. normal commute time is about 15.

What a joke.

shake

Last edited by aha-shake on 00:51 - 06 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total

Squibbs
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:31 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Bike v Public transport Reply with quote

Weston Super Mare to Central Bristol

Bus, Walk 0 07:08 08:53 1hour, 45 mins
Bus, Train, Walk 1 07:20 08:42 1hour, 22 mins
Bus, Train, Walk 1 06:51 08:12 1hour, 21 mins
Bus, Walk 0 06:28 07:57 1hour, 29 mins
Car 0 08:07 09:00 53 mins / 19.2miles

I do it on the bike in 45 at the outside

Maybe add another 10 minutes to start her up and 5 mins to lock her down its still a lot quicker.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:35 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current one. Car: 28 minutes 9.5 miles (wrong, takes 15 minutes tops)

Bus: 1 hour 37 minutes.

My last farm job. Car: 17 miles, 42 minutes (about right)
Public transport: "Sorry we are currently unable to obtain public transport journey options using the details you have entered." (absolutely correct, there's none)

DAF
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:11 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
arrive at work with a big grin
The commute has a hell of a lot more to it than saving 10 or 20 minutes

Quote:
being herded around like cattle on feelthy steenking buses and trains

Quote:
However, what this doesn't take into account is the fact that if I ride in I arrive with a big smile on my face but if I get the tube in I'm ready to strangle the first person who talks to me. Even if you *can* save time by taking public transport, it's not just about that.

/\ /\ /\ Just about sums it up really. Takes me about 50 minutes to get to work on the underground and 30 minutes on the bike. Not that much difference if you add the time to put gear on etc but any chance to avoid the chronic overcrowding, delays and miserable faces on the tube wins hands down for me. The air's much fresher on the bike too even though I'm riding in through East London Smile Hmm, the only exception is the A13 at the height of summer; you often catch a whiff of the sewage works at Beckton, which I believe are the largest in Europe Sick

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Tonight was "drive like a cretin" night in West London but I still arrived home in a good mood. That rarely happens if I go by tube, even if I have the "perfect" journey.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha-shake wrote:
Ha!

It also says that the journey of 17 miles takes 26 minutes by car.

Well, on the 125 I once did it in 7 minutes, though that was at 4am.. normal commute time is about 15.

What a joke.

You did 17 miles... in 7 minutes, on a 125...

4am or not, there's no way you averaged 140mph...

Joke indeed! Wink Laughing

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 22:38 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reconds that the fastest public transport route for me is 2 hours 34 mins, for a route journey that takes me 45 mins o the bike Laughing

So apart from loosing an area 3 hours of my day (making it a 17 hour working day including traveling), I would have to leave home at 4am to get to work for my 7am start. Funnily enough, there are no buses/trains running in my area at that time.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:58 - 05 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yep, pretty mad. I posted about it a few months back and sent them an email suggesting they added bikes, but looks like they haven't bothered yet.

Gives my commute to work as 1:29 by car (an hour is how long it takes), and 2:07 by public transport.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3