Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

You should all try this

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

gavin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live (only) just north of london, working in victoria. the journey takes me through the busiest parts of london. i can do it in 40 mins by bike, about 1hr 10 in the van.

the options it gives me are these:

1 Bus, Train, Underground, Walk 2 07:06 08:22 1hour, 16 mins
2 Bus, Train, Underground, Walk 2 07:15 08:39 1hour, 24 mins
3 Bus, Train, Underground, Walk 2 07:22 08:58 1hour, 36 mins
4 Bus, Train, Underground, Walk 2 07:36 09:01 1hour, 25 mins
5 Car 0 07:00 08:20 1hour, 20 mins / 18.9miles

so much for that then. Evil or Very Mad

Mark312
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:26 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they've miscalculated the traffic in my town. They say 41 minutes, but it's usually more like an hour, but that's still 20 minutes faster than by walk/bus/walk option, and I bet they've not accounted for the real traffic there either.

They also only leave you a minute to time the bus times right, in my experience, the bus times are nothing like what the timetable says, so you have to add on a good five minutes extra to your walk time, as well.

What does walk mean, by the way? Wink

aha-shake
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:51 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
aha-shake wrote:
Ha!

It also says that the journey of 17 miles takes 26 minutes by car.

Well, on the 125 I once did it in 7 minutes, though that was at 4am.. normal commute time is about 15.

What a joke.

You did 17 miles... in 7 minutes, on a 125...

4am or not, there's no way you averaged 140mph...

Joke indeed! Wink Laughing

That does seem a little fantastical. I guess I cant of stopped at my house.. or not started at my college. Probably the latter, I have dont "the journey" in 7 minutes but as I couldnt of been going any faster than 85 somethings afoot Mr. Green

A humbled shake
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 03:32 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My commute takes around 30 minutes on the bike.

The posted link wants me to replace that with a 20 min walk, followed by a tube ride, followed by two buses. It quotes around 1hr40 mins for all of that, but I'm guessing that doesn't cater for the inevitable missed/late/non-existent buses/trains. When I used to take the 140 in to work, I found myself allowing 3 hours before each shift - absolutely knackering because it meant getting up at 4 am, only to spend almost 2 hours on a packed stinking bus with no leg room.

How long do you guys take to get ready, anyway?! It takes me no longer to put my kevlar jeans and textile jacket on than it would to get dressed in normal clothes, so no time is lost there. Gloves and helmet go on while the bike is warming up and I'm securing my bag in the cargo net - then I'm away. The process takes a little longer when I get to work, because I have to get my duty belt out of my bag, put it on, draw my keys and radio, then go and change into my uniform, but even all that only takes 10 mins - and half of it I'd have to do even if I came in on the bus!

In short, there is no contest, and no way they would persuade me to use public transport.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:08 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my results for a 5 mile commute through Central London using that website;

Arrow Bus/walk = 1 hour (this is a direct bus as well!)
Arrow Car = 28 minutes

Normally on the bike I can do it in about 20 minutes.
I have recently started to walk the whole route though. It is a really nice route through most of Central London's landmarks. This way takes me 1 hour and 15 minutes. Good exercise and enjoyable.

I only ever use public transport if it 100% necessary. Laughing

Edit: just realized that it never included the underground for me. Before I got the bike I used to take the tube (Victoria and Northern Lines). In total the walk to the station + tube ride + walk to destination used to take 45 minutes. And it is expensive. I really hated it....rush hour was so bad. You had to squash into people to get into the train and it was hot. Sick Nightmare.

So for me it is either the bike or walking. Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:55 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.transportdirect.info/Web/images/gifs/exclamation.gif Error
Sorry we are currently unable to obtain journey options using the details you have entered. Please help us to investigate this further by completing a feedback form (do this by clicking 'Contact us' at the bottom of the page)

It doesn't like rural places then. Rolling Eyes

riffmasher
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:32 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this, LMAO!
I work at Norwich Airport and to get there for the early shift I am an hour and a halflate for work when I have to leave and get there four hours late! I reckon I could get away with that once before being fired!

Riff

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option Transport Changes Leave Arrive Duration Select
1 Bus, Walk 0 08:49 09:12 23 mins
2 Bus, Walk 0 08:59 09:20 21 mins
3 Bus, Walk 0 09:04 09:27 23 mins
4 Bus, Walk 0 09:07 09:39 32 mins
5 Car 0 08:45 08:53 8 mins / 1.6miles

When i'm working at the unit, I live about a stone throws away from it. takes about 2 minutes on bike (plus 3 minutess kitting up)

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow 1 Bus, Walk 52 mins
Arrow 2 Bus, Walk 46 mins
Arrow 3 Bus, Walk 41 mins
Arrow 4 Bus, Walk 38 mins
Arrow 5 Car 11 mins (5.7miles)

The best I have done in the car was less than 6 1/2 minutes Shifty that was no red traffic lights and well over 120mph Laughing

Only 6 miles from home to work, the monkey bike should be just the ticket Thumbs Up

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:00 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get to work on Sundays using so called public transport.

I live near Manchester centre and work almost next door to a metro link station in Altrincham.

Make public transport a real alternative before hitting out at the drivers Thumbs Up

Rick.

smartroad
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:04 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have a 22 minute walk to the bus stop then a 1 minute(!!) bus journey and then a further 7 minutes walk Shocked 30 minutes for what takes me 5 in a car.

Still think it is funny that it wants me to pay for a 1 minute bus journey, surely it would be better for me to walk the whole way, after all I am pretty much doing that anyway!

krebsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milton Keynes to Farnborough. By bike it's 2 hours, by public transport? Well, if I set off at 8am I'll get to the office by the end of the all day meeting. (4pm+). then the same to get back, via London...

Two wheels are better than two rails...

K.

1280 x 1024.

krebsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
My commute takes around 30 minutes on the bike.
How long do you guys take to get ready, anyway?! It takes me no longer to put my kevlar jeans and textile jacket on than it would to get dressed in normal clothes, so no time is lost there.

It takes me about 10 mins to go from full biker gear to full business suit... Smile

K.

1280 x 1024.

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

:1: Bus, Train, Walk. ... .08:30 - 09:18 . . 48 mins
:2: Bus, Walk. . ...... .... .08:30 - 09:22 . . 52 mins
:3: Bus, Train, Walk. . ...08:47 - 09:29 . . 42 mins
:4: Bus, Train, Walk. . ...09:17 - 09:58 . . 41 mins
:5: Car. ... .. ..... . . ...... .8:20 - 08:38 . . 18 mins / 8.6miles

Actually my journey is 9 1/2 miles and i do it *with* traffic and road works in 16min Embarassed (today) usually 12/13min with the morning traffic

Exclamation My personal best is 11min to do the 'over the tops route' of 8miles on a sunday with dry road and clear skies - Doh! Probably was bit of dangerous driving invovled Brick Wall - NOT THAT I KEEP A RECORD OR TRY TO BEAT IT

coff' flat out down a single lane road (62mph)

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 14 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Bus, Tram, Walk 1 14:14 15:08 54 mins
2 Bus, Train, Walk 1 14:16 15:22 1hour, 06 mins
3 Bus, Tram, Walk 1 14:21 15:32 1hour, 11 mins
4 Bus, Train, Walk 1 14:26 15:37 1hour, 11 mins
5 Car 0 14:05 14:41 36 mins / 16.5miles
6 bike 23 minutes
7 Attack filtering bike = 14 minutes
8 Attack filtering when chasing a girl on a fast bike 6-8 minutes

This is to Job location 1

Job location 2

Bike 26 minutes door to door,

Bus train train bus 104 minutes each way
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

krebsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 15 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBurrows88 wrote:
Exclamation My personal best is 11min to do the 'over the tops route' of 8miles on a sunday with dry road and clear skies - Doh! Probably was bit of dangerous driving invovled Brick Wall - NOT THAT I KEEP A RECORD OR TRY TO BEAT IT

coff' flat out down a single lane road (62mph)

When I had a 2.5 mile commute to the office, the best I did was Bed to desk in 6 minutes. Smile

K.

1280 x 1024.

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 15 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats interesting look at the times.

Also extra 30mins to get to work......I think not and I would be late! hmmmmmm Evil or Very Mad a BIG NO for me, I will stick to my bike ty!

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/travell.jpg

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 15 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can spend an extra 15 minutes getting there and back? (yeh right takes me at least 20 minutes to walk between my house and bus stop, and between bus stop and work)

also I can sped £4 a day, or £1 a day on my bike.

what am I gonna choose? Smile

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:27 - 15 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am lucky because my work and home are on the same bus route, but even so, if i were to rely on a bus to get there, i would have to get the earlier bus in case the bus was late, so it would take an hour maybe an hour and a half to get to work.

by scooter, it takes me about 10mins
by pushbike, about 30mins

so even in ideal circumstances with start point and destination being on the same bus route, still has buses being much worse than anything else

the times on that website, assume that you can rely on buses being on time or even turning up, which you obviously cant

i have lost a temp job due to a bus being late in the past, now i have bikes, i am never late, as filtering means there is no such thing as traffic

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:22 - 16 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've got it about right for me, a car takes a third of the time and costs a quarter of the price. Obviously the bike does it cheaper and quicker, don't think I'll be handing in my licence any time soon.

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 00:27 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't even offer anything but car for my trip to work.
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 18 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, looks like a unanimous decision that we will all keep to riding/driving in until they give us a better, quicker and cheaper way to travel. Thumbs Up

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 20:36 - 18 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would take me 1 hour 30mins according to the site, but I reckon that's a very optimistic time.
It takes me about 30mins by motorbike. Smile

i_am_tim
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:41 - 19 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

59 mins by bus/walk

16 mins by car (takes me 5-10 by bike)

think i'll stick with the bike cheers

current bike: 2001 Yamaha R6 - sweeeeet

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 19 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting
Quote:
Error
Sorry we are currently unable to obtain public transport journey options using the details you have entered. Please try changing the dates/times of travel or changing some of the details entered, such as the types of transport. Click ‘Amend’ to revise your journey request.
If you still encounter problems please help us to investigate this further by completing a feedback form (do this by clicking 'Contact us' at the bottom of the page).

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3