BCF: Bike Chat Forums

You should all try this

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

techierob
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:14 - 20 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it says all my routes are equivalent at about 70 minutes during rush hour, but I know that's a crock. The bus takes over two hours (not including the wait and bus ride to the bus stop), the car takes almost two hours on a good day (and would cost me 8 quid for the privilege) and both the bike and tube take 45-60 minutes - and that's for a journey of 15 miles.

Another thing it doesn't illustrate is the fact that four pounds a week buys enough fuel for my bike to do the journey to work and back five times, while after the prices are hiked in the new year, the same amount of money would buy me a one-way trip on the tube or a journey each way on the busses.

All this assumes that I can actually depend on public transport, but the fact is that I can't. Public transport routinely leaves me high and dry and the only recourse I have is to claim back the cost of a one-way journey, if it can be proven that I was kept waiting for more than twenty minutes at any one time - that means that a journey time of eight hours would be considered well within their guaranteed level of service.

Public transport becomes virtually unusable after 11:30pm, but there's no curfew for the bike. Also there's no dicking about with exact chance, no two-mile walk at the end of the route, no overcrowding, no pickpockets, no beggars, no strikes etc. etc.

The only way I'd stop using the bike is if the government/department of transport/tfl contrived a way to price me off the road

scabstermooch
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:03 - 21 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

techierob wrote:

The only way I'd stop using the bike is if the government/department of transport/tfl contrived a way to price me off the road

Shhhhhh! - not so loud! Some people might hear it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3