Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Am I wimping out

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Am I wimping out?
No I'd take the car, the weather is too severe
13%
 13%  [ 10 ]
Call yourself a biker?... you great poof!
28%
 28%  [ 21 ]
Its nice to have the choice.
58%
 58%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 75

Author Message

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Am I wimping out Reply with quote

So now my wife has got her new car and our 'old' car is sitting outside the house, should I use this to get to work I ask myself.

Its raining and the wind is so strong at the moment that taking the bike all of a sudden seems less appealing when travelling the 18 odd miles either way. So I take the car.

But had there only have been the one car, I would have taken the bike no quibble.

So I ask myself am I turning soft, am I betraying the biking community, do I dserve the respectful nod. Its certainley cheaper and quicker on the bike................but.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do people think they are so hard, cool and "extreme" because they got cold, wet and pissed off riding a bike to work when they can take a car? I never understand it.. I'll ride in the rain if I want to go ride, but for work I'm much happier taking 4 wheels instead of 2 and don't really care what anyone thinks... I don't think its "hard" to ride a bike instead, just stupid. Laughing
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Your just being smart Very Happy

Just rember you think its cold now, well its gona get alot colder and stay like that for a good 4 months so might be an idea to brave the last bit of the weather to enjoy your final hours on the bike before the end of the year Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanny!

Took a 20 mile detour after work today to go for a ride, lovin it Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike is all about 'choice' and 'play' for me. Sometimes I like riding in the winter/when it's raining (especially if it'll mean I miss some nasty road works), but mostly I prefer to stay dry and use the car.

Getting cold and wet vs. staying warm and dry, for me, it's an easy choice.

Because I'm worth it. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know

After last Sunday (50mph winds) on my YBR 125 i would say its nice to have the choice
____________________
Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Kong, riding the bike to work in the cold, freezing rain does not make your penis bigger. In fact it is so cold (and stupid) that your penis will shrink and get smaller.

Ignore those cheapskates who can't afford the car going "I done 10,000 miles this Winter, it didn't really bother me. I am hardcore and invariably all you people who drive cars in winters are southern fairies and fair weather riders. You AREN'T a real biker if you don't ride in the winter".

Seriously, being a biker isn't about riding in winter. Common sense should prevail, if you want to get to work quicker then yes if you can brave the rain and cold do it on the bike. If you want to go to work staying dry, not having to faff about with bike kit in the mornings. Remember it takes some members of this forum 10 minutes to take their bike helmets off at a petrol station, so imagine how much time you could save going in the car.

If I had an old car sitting outside and it was enacting an Indian Monsoon outside I know I'd choose the car over the bike. Definitely.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wimping out but we all do it at times.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official:

https://www.frocks.nu/1aug01blouse.jpg
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thefallenange...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no choice but to take the car because you won't see many bikers riding around with Fibreglass ladders along the side of the bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Faffing around with bike gear when you get into work.

You do that in Summer too.

2) You don't want to get cold and wet

Jesus, do you all wear t shirts or something?

I'm thinking of getting a car next year, for it's proper use, going to Sainsburys in and picking up large bike parts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:13 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a car next year, for it's proper use, going to Sainsburys in and picking up large bike parts.


Bike parts at Sainsburys? Do they do clutches? Laughing (Sorry!)
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Tobes we must all bow down to thee!

I wish I could have your saintly power of being able to use a car solely for heavy shopping and bike parts to go back to my kingdom of bike in the garage.

Believe it or not, people wear less in summer and leathers look ultimately, cooler. Razz
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason im taking my car test ASAP, is to transport my speedway bikes to race meetings. Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado Wink
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

six
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you great big fucking pufter. Call yourself a biker... you complete wanker. Wink

Tbh... whatever makes you feel better. I can't imagine what the hell it feels like to ride in the cold and wet, but I can't imagine its nice, even in a car. lol. If I had the choice, I would probably use my car when the weather is awful. Also, its winter, a car is much safer now.

lol... whatever suits you.
____________________
I ride: 2003 Aprilia RS50
Yamaha R1 Fund: ?-0600.00 (grr Sad)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it makes much of a difference either way.

Of course, I'd be out riding if my bike wasn't in bits........ Liar

This will be my first winter in 7 years that I haven't ridden (unless pedal power counts), I've never got around to sourcing that second bike, spending far much money and time on the heap in the garage.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't be my first winter on the bike, I've done the journey on a 125 scooter and a Varadero but this will be the first on the GSX750. In all honesty we won't be able to keep both jam jars on the go, so the Focus will have to go. So I'm making the most of it for now.
By all accounts the winter is going to be quite severe in terms of 'coldness', but I do find the wind is the killer though.
I must admit that I detest sitting in the traffic jams and watching fellow brethren filtering past.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SimonB
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say its nice to have the choice but I have decieded to use the bike in crap weather over the car just because I enjoy riding the bike more.

Even today when it was absolutly chucking down it I felt happy and content on the way home.

Its the wind that makes me consider the car as we have had a couple of trees come down near where I live.

So all in all your just being smart.
____________________
Bikes: Honda CBR250RR [sold], Yamaha FZR600 [sold], Honda CBR600RR6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phatstorage
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOW THEN
https://www.frontiernet.net/~kinsman/images/ice%20bike.jpg

What was that about winter?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phatstorage wrote:


No Tut Tut this is a motorbike forum Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haveing the choice is good.. when i do i'll use the car in really bad weather, if i feel like it, geting to your job stinking, wet through and pissed off isn't a good way to start a day Thumbs Down

Too many folks seem to be bothered what everyone else thinks, people should be impressed they are rideing through snowdrifts, or ashamed they are in their cosey car... its pretty sad really.. Neutral
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark312
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't life about choice? why worry about what people might think, although you obviously do otherwise you wouldn't have asked! IMHO, riding to work on a bike in foul weather is not the ultimate experience. I ride a bike when I fancy a ride out, regardless of the conditions, but the weather does play a part in my decision.
____________________
Currently Moto Guzzi 750 Strada, Moto Guzzi V35 Florida, previously Honda CB125T, RD250LC, RD80MX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tony532
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only have a bike license and have to commute every weekend 40 miles and back.

the weather is still very mild to be honest.

if you want to drive in the car and smoke cigs and listen to tunes e.t.c then go for it.
____________________
bikes owned :-

aprilia rs125 - suzuki gsxr400rrsp 1990 - yamaha yzf600r thundercat - honda hornet 6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony532 wrote:
i only have a bike license and have to commute every weekend 40 miles and back.

the weather is still very mild to be honest.

if you want to drive in the car and smoke cigs and listen to tunes e.t.c then go for it.


Don't smoke Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phatstorage
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 04 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then
https://www.bcmducati.com/images/GSXR-IceBike.jpg

Hmmm?
Rolling Eyes Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.57 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 130.6 Kb