Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First day of giving up smoking...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: First day of giving up smoking... Reply with quote

And it's going ok!

Gone to a thing called 'Fagends' and they've given me a Nicotine nasal spray, well better than the gum/patches.

Let's see how it goes next week...

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck. I managed 3 whole weeks. the first week and half were hard but eased up alot by the 2nd. But when the booze got flowing I had to have a smoke.
Really let myself down.
Might try the nasel spray next, I hate the gum and sweets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
I wish you luck. I managed 3 whole weeks. the first week and half were hard but eased up alot by the 2nd. But when the booze got flowing I had to have a smoke.
Really let myself down.
Might try the nasel spray next, I hate the gum and sweets.

The sprays really good but bastard hurts, I don't even want a fag at all whereas the gum I'd just be thinking about it all the time...

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best there i done 6 weeks and felt great with the patches that was until sometihing silly happened. But know you can do it! keep it up!

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 20:50 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here

Note, dont use anything. It's better in the long term. I know plenty of mpeople hooked on patches/gum etc.

If you want to quit, quit.

Good luck anyway fella. Im still going strong, havent really missed them to be honest. Just get stuck in to something physical if you can.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I go cold turkey I get to a point where I get so light headed I can't function, which is shit.

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:57 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck mate, just stick to it! Thumbs Up

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:23 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
If I go cold turkey I get to a point where I get so light headed I can't function, which is shit.

Wimp.....cold turkey is the only way.

Dont use drug, pills, hypnotism.....

I stopped November 28th 2005, i've had 2 rolleys since, probably in the first two months, then nothing.
All in the mind, the most important thing is preparation, you wont quit if you just wake up one morning and do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'medications' are very useful as a tool to get your brain back in gear if you're at work and feel you really are not 'functioning'. I don't believe you should be chewing up to 10 a day as a course and taking in about 5 times the amount of nicotine than if you smoked.
Keep the medication as a very last resort when you feel you've got nowhere to turn.
All they will do is manage the withdrawl symptoms, they won't aid willpower at all.
I've given up once before for 6 months cold turkey, with crazy view to smoke after that only in pubs, but it creeps back in.

I last stopped smoking 7th Sept 2003 and havent had a single puff since.

My advice is just keep it simple, don't think 'what if', 'but', or 'why', if you've made the absolute decision then you can assure yourself that you've succeeded already and you've just got to pay the short term price of withdrawl.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first quit I was moody as hell. Everyday I would snap, thats the only downfall Thumbs Down

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Still doing alright.

Nasal spray is really good, totally takes away the withdrawl symptoms pretty much 100%.

I still go outside at work though but just have a breather or a cup of tea.

Definately don't want to smoke again, I was told to use the nasal spray no more than 60 times a day but I have been sitting it out and only using it when I can't cope with the withdrawl, which is about 3 or 4 times a day.

Not bad considering I've been on 20 a day for 5 years.

sagiliam
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:35 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But when the booze got flowing I had to have a smoke.

Know just what you mean!
I came back of holiday, having managed to not smoke for two weeks. Thumbs Up Soon as i got home, 10 packet of malboros, nearly puked i found it disgusting and still do...only when sober tho. I now just buy fags before i go out(to drink) and i never have the craving when i wake up the next morning...still cant work it out!!!
I know, i know i shouldnt buy them before i go out but once that booze is a flowing come hell or high water i will get fags!!

Keep it up buddy...tis well worth it!!

Ls

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 20:59 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit i quit about a month ago and have had sneaky drags when shitfaced in clubs. Found it abit rough. And have pulled a couple of smokers, again, pretty rough.

But i snore less now, and i can cane up the steep hills of which bangors famous for without getting out of breath, although that could be due to the amount of fitness ive been doing.

Stick with it, my sister always bleats on about how she gets such bad withdrawls etc and thats why she smokes so much and cant quit Rolling Eyes
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:06 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

snuff is the original nicotine nasal spray

i quite like it Smile

a bloke at work is quitting smoking after being on 40 a day for years.

he has problems with his heart and if he doesnt quit he is gonna die much sooner than most

i'll tell him about this nasal spray, as at the moment he is just using patches from a quit club

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
But when the booze got flowing I had to have a smoke.

I think that's probably the biggest hurdle for anyone.
At the end of a hard stressfull week of not smoking, you can't even find releif with a good drink in the pub because the cravings attack twice as hard.
I spent many nights in the pub just fighting the urge to smoke from beginning to end, scratching holes in the table.
It's very hard but you've got to get through it if you are really going to stop, it's something you've got to face.
The good thing about it is the sense of acheivement when you wake up the next day knowing that you resisted and don't feel half as bad as you would on a hangover if you'd gone through 10 ciggies. Then the next time you go to the pub you believe it's not impossible.
It wasn't long after quitting that I could sit in the pub and not even consider smoking, but still after two years I see people smoking and just feel very relieved I did stop.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
snuff is the original nicotine nasal spray

i quite like it Smile

It does clear your head, but it's astonishingly carcogenic. If you thought cigs were bad...

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think with the spray is I have absolutely sod all withdrawl as the nicoteine is absorbed through the fine blood vessels in the nose straight away whereas with patches and gum there's a massive delay while it gets around the system.

Hurts like hell tho.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Think with the spray is I have absolutely sod all withdrawl as the nicoteine is absorbed through the fine blood vessels in the nose straight away whereas with patches and gum there's a massive delay while it gets around the system.

Hurts like hell tho.

The same principle as doing coke. I expect it's very addictive as well, so don't go getting dependant on it. Tut Tut

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:15 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now quit for nearly 6 months.

Did it cold turkey. You are still taking in Nicotine, therefore you will still be addicted. Develop some motivation young man! The first 2 weeks are hard, but after 2 weeks nicotine is completely cleared from your body, you are just extending that period and when you come off the nasal spray you will want to smoke again.

Like I said, people who really WANT to quit, do quit.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 08 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did it cold turkey. You are still taking in Nicotine, therefore you will still be addicted. Develop some motivation young man! The first 2 weeks are hard, but after 2 weeks nicotine is completely cleared from your body, you are just extending that period and when you come off the nasal spray you will want to smoke again.

There is a huge difference between nicotine from gum/spray/patches and nicotine from smoking. I have done it cold turkey for 6 months before but to be honest after quitting the second time for good I wondered why I bothered going cold turkey the first time. It just made it more uncomfortable but didn't shorten the time it took the withdrawl to ease off.

I think the problem is that the companies who make money out of these 'nicotine replacement therapies' are bassically trying to recruit smokers to a long, drawn out course to maximise thier profits. They'd be stupid not too.
The last advert I saw was suggesting you use nicorette to 'cut down first, then quit' - which would suit Mr nicorette down to the ground.
There's no shame in using nicotine spray, just use it as little as possible, on your own terms.

houlsby
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:02 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

istopped a month ago last friday, ive saved enough to make the difference between driving a corsa and a scooby turbo which is why i stopped.

no aid or crafty cigs and theres loads of people who i work with who smoke.

its all in ur head, theres always the temptation for the nicotine rush but the smell is enough to put me off now. went home and had a showerthe other night from a cruise because someone had been smoking in the same car as me and i stunk.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's coming to the end of my 7th day and I never thought quitting would be so easy...

Found it hard monday morning, don't know why, and I've been feeling a little light headed at around 6pm.

I've not been using the spray that much, maybe about 5-8 times a day (Each time is 1mg of nicotine) but I feel like a have a permanent cold so I can't smell or taste that good, but I can't wait til it's gone so I can see if I can taste/smell any better Very Happy

T

I'm saving £150 a month, which is about 10% of my take home, get in.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:04 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1mg? That's equivalent to one cigarette is it not? I'd advise you to come off the nasal spray ASAP.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 13 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to give up again soon. I get ill smoking but I still go ahead and puff away.
What I found great after not smoking for just a few days is I got my full taste back, food seemed so much better aswell as drink.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, 2nd day - Cold turkey. Doing ok.
Temper a little high tho Rolling Eyes
Where did you buy or can you get the Nasel spray? I cant find any anywhere, except some place online for 17 quid!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2