Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Becoming nocturnal.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 11:14 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Becoming nocturnal. Reply with quote

It just sorta happened...Laughing

Last night i hit the hay at about 9:30ish and slept like a log till about 12, then couldn't sleep for an hour so fucked off out with my mates...came home at about 4 and still couldn't sleep untill about 6:30.

I've been like this for the past few nights now, i'm considering buying my dad a baseball bat to knock me out at 9 when i want to go to bed...or just sleeping pills.

Any suggestions guys and what the cause might be?

Cheers Thumbs Up

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discipline really. I've had lots of trouble with it over the last few weeks, falling asleep at 7 or 8pm and waking up at 2 or 3am and carrying on. The funny thing is it's taken about 3 weeks to change it. It started out with me going to bed at midnight and getting up at 7am, then 1am and 8am, then 2am and 9am, all the way round the clock and now I'm at about 1am and 8am. The thing is, no matter when I sleep I always sleep for 7 hours, I can't get any more or less.

Night before alst I fell asleep at 9pm and woke at 4am, then I went out last night until 1am. Came home, fell asleep and woke up about 8.30am.

The thing I have to master is disciplining myself to get up at the same time every day, no matter when I went to bed. Because if I don't do that then I don't get to sleep until later that night and get up even later the next day, and it just goes on. In the last few weeks my sleeping pattern has gone an entire 24 hours forward in time.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

accept it and use it to your advantage night jobs pay better , kind of why I'm resentful at how morrisons shelf stackers get paid £8/h , while me as an accountant and super agressive tax expert doesn't get anywhere near that.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
accept it and use it to your advantage night jobs pay better , kind of why I'm resentful at how morrisons shelf stackers get paid £8/h , while me as an accountant and super agressive tax expert doesn't get anywhere near that.

You ever spent a week not seeing sunlight? It's the most depressing thing in the world, I wouldn't work night shifts for any amount of money.

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you get to see loads of sunlight mate, i work 9pm-6am , get home about 6:30 go to sleep about 12 get up at 8pm, simple i get like 4and half hours of daylight , might not seem alot but in summer ill go to sleep in daylight and wake up in daylight then work threw dark so its not bad, deffinatly worth it for the money

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
You ever spent a week not seeing sunlight? It's the most depressing thing in the world, I wouldn't work night shifts for any amount of money.

Yeah, last week for me. Was going to sleep at about 1pm and sleeping until about 7pm, then staying up all night until the next day 1pm. Fuck man, that was a really shit week. The only way for me to escape it was to go 24 hours without sleep and try to sleep at a normal time. It has worked!

I hate being nocturnal. Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:09 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My usual tactic was to stay up an extra half day.

You do get a nice psychosis by the end of it, especially if you're smoking weed through most of it (an interesting side note is that I'd say I feel worse doing this than staying up after having taking Class A stimulants, suggesting that a lot of the crappy feeling after is just the sleep deprivation.)

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 14:18 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
(an interesting side note is that I'd say I feel worse doing this than staying up after having taking Class A stimulants, suggesting that a lot of the crappy feeling after is just the sleep deprivation.)

I've noted exactly the same thing. Sleep deprivation really screws up your head Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:

Why yes I have I used to work the night shift in a bread factory making the burger buns for Mc'ds Started @ 11pm -> 7AM 7 days a week as a student in the summer periods

As a photo editor I was left alone in a small cubby hole office , and generally tended not to go home at all and kept a sleeping bag under my desk and a ton
of airfresheners ,

Also recently

I get up and ride to work when it is dark 7AM, and park in the underground car park at the company

I ride home when it is dark 5.30pm - 6pm

I spend ALL day inside a windowless office under floresent lights , the office has NO windows at all and it in an internal suite inside a pre 1900 building, the doors don't have windows either so any incidental light from the board room (which is blacked out 90% of the time anyway for presentations) can't get in.

I can go out at lunch but tend not to since there are 4 passcode doors to get through which are often broken or locked due to people putting in the wrong codes 2 which are staffed by jobsworth wanna be nazi guards who have seen me for the past 8 months yet still demand I identify myself.

I can get out the fire exit but this gives me even more hassle from the guards who notice I signed in but didn't sign out.

And the office is pretty much has enough services not to need to go out at lunch.

the closest fascimilie to sunlight is the warm glow radiated by my TFT screen.

so the last time I saw sunlight other than weekends was about 2 months ago when mornings were still light. though I've been dragged into the office at weekends too recently , such that I've not seen day light for about 3 weeks.

Its recently gotten worse as the bike is broken , and I'm having to get up earlier for public transport , such is the life of nosforatu.

Of course such a work pattern means that eventually I will snap , go buy an AR-10 and stalk from office to office pumping round after round into former colleagues and employees alike , which probably won't end up in a SAS confrontation as nobody'd notice.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 15:37 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever i've got any time off work, my sleep pattern gets totally screwed up, funny this came up as its happening right now

night before last went to bed at like 3am, got up at 2.30 in the afternoon, didnt go to bed last night till almost 5am, and woke up about 1330 today, i tend to just bum around when im on holiday dont exert much energy, so naturally am not tired, spend most of the time sat at the pc or watching films and the pattern gets naturally screwed up

way to sort it is to stay up for 24 hours or so, then go to bed normal time, and make sure you set ten alarms for the following morning
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 23:22 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
whenever i've got any time off work, my sleep pattern gets totally screwed up, funny this came up as its happening right now

Might be a similar thing with me mate, i've just quit the job i've had for the past month....

Rookie, the thing is, with self discipline, i can lie in my bed as much as i want but i simply cannot sleep if i'm not tired, it's a bit gay really as i sleep on average 9 hours a day but at the moment it seems to be from silly o clock in the morning till silly times in the evening!

Itchy 8 quid an hour for stacking shelfs at night? Fuck i'd do that! But i don't live out there Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:16 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get to sleep at a 'normal' time but aren't at all tired, get yourself a bottle of benylin (cough syrup stuff, marked 'may cause drowsiness') and have a couple of swigs from the bottle. Wait about 20 minutes then go and lie down, you'll fall asleep quite quickly (take more benylin if you don't).

If you overdose on benylin, its nothing to do with me. Razz

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 10:57 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll leave this page open just so my parents know who point the finger at then Razz

Will any cough syrup do marked 'may cause drowsiness' do or does it HAVE to be benylin?
DonTony This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 12:02 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just post the link so that he can read all of it?

https://health.yahoo.com/topic/sleep/prevention/article/ehealthmd/Sleep_Disorders_INS_causes

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:26 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
Will any cough syrup do marked 'may cause drowsiness' do or does it HAVE to be benylin?

I'm pretty sure anything marked 'may cause drowsiness' in quantity will have the desired effect. But, ermmm, benylin is nice. Razz

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 00:02 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I'm pretty sure anything marked 'may cause drowsiness' in quantity will have the desired effect. But, ermmm, benylin is nice. Razz

Can't be as nice as Brufen orange syrup Drooling

Cheers Shaggy, very useful link Thumbs Up

scoota bk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:49 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just looking through the old photos on my computer, found ones from july 2005 when me and my mate were both on holiday (at home) and we stayed up all night browsing the net/listening to music and talking on MSN. Anyway found photos of the sunrise at 2.30am and me going out for a cycle at 3am! Laughing Laughing It was clear as day! Laughing

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 07:23 - 13 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft amateur, me and my mates are roaming the streets till about 6 AM before going home and FINALLY being able to sleep.

Sunrise at 2:30?! F**king hell! It rises here about 6!

MattHirst
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 13 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about the past 6 months i'v had trouble sleeping.

I will generally fall asleep at about 1:30am-2am.....put my alarms on for 6:30, sleep in till 7 and get my old man wake me up. Because im tired, im moody as fook, have a bad day at work and come home and go to bed at some ungodly hour.

Thing is, i can't go to sleep without doing somet. I mean while watching TV or listening to my ipod or what ever........it wasn't long back (maybe a couple of month) when i had a week off work that i went to bed at about 11 (trying to get an early night) and i actually laid there ALL night.....not even a hint of tiredness.

Anything out there available over the counter to help me sleep (i just need to get into a pattern for about 2 week and hopefully it will go from there)......................oh, something proper rather than couch syrup Razz

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 14 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having trouble sleeping at the moment. Ill be up at 7 to get Josh ready for PlaySchool. Work at 10 - 3 then home back to work 6-10, im tired at work but when im home I liven up alot. Then im awake till 3-4.. The up again at 7.

Or, if i have a 30 min power sleep where I half doze off, im buggered as im awake for hours then Thumbs Down

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 14 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattHirst wrote:

Anything out there available over the counter to help me sleep (i just need to get into a pattern for about 2 week and hopefully it will go from there)......................oh, something proper rather than couch syrup Razz

You want an economics text book , or a tax textbook , those things can seriously send you to sleep
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1