Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

oh god a barrel and piston help!!!!!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

tanner

PostPosted: 09:28 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: oh god a barrel and piston help!!!!!!! Reply with quote

when fixing my exhaust onto my bike when i heard a crack the part where the exhaust fixes onto the bike was f*cked one of the studs had brocken off withe a bit of the material carnells have got my bike at the moment and reckon i need a new barrel and piston is this likely(how much do they cost?) is there nothing that can be done to fix it . i was thinking about getting a big bore kit were can they be bought from and what would i need to do to my bike to set it up for a big bore kit jetting bigger carb etc THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY Question
You must be logged in to rate posts

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:49 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bolts are only meant to be tightned to 10 ib/feet which is nothing!!!! I didnt realise it was that low until i looked at the manual. It will probably just be the stud that has snaped. Only nout £3 to replace, unless it snapped of right next to the cylinder, dunno what theyed do then??? Probably drill it out or summin.
Dyl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:16 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If the stud has snapped off then it should be possible to drill it out and replace it with a new one. However, I would be tempted to take it to someone with the correct tools to do the job properly, and you may have to take the barrel off to get at it safely.

You may well be able to get away with drilling it out yourself without taking the barrel off, but get it wrong and you will wreck the thread

All this assumes the stud has sheared off, and not that the section of the barrel it screws to has cracked off

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TANNER

PostPosted: 09:09 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: ITS WORSE Reply with quote

THE STUD SNAPPED OFF WITH A BIT OF THE FLANGE WHAT THE EXHAUST JOINS ONTO

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:10 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In which case it is repairable, but not easily. A decent engineer can build the casting up with weld and drill and tap it (just had this done to a mudgaurd mount on a pair of forks). Find a decent small bike engineer (I use one in Stoke, but there is bound to be one close to you) and talk to them. They may be able to do it with the barrel in place, or they may want you just to take the barrel on its own to them

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mike

PostPosted: 03:15 - 01 May 2002    Post subject: simalar thing happenned Reply with quote

i snapped the bolt connecting to the 2 stroke pump, get a small (very small) screw driver tap it gently into the broken bolt anti clockwise until it starts taking shape then it should undo itself after a while (it takes a while o just be gentle and you will get there)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1