Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chain 'n' Sprokets (again)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Chain 'n' Sprokets (again) Reply with quote

Hi
Yeah i'm tryin to get a "DECENT" set of chain and sprokets (one's i've got now lasted about 2 months) and there a pain in the arse to get .alot of garages dont supply NSR parts and the Honda Dealer is well expensive. I was just wondering what would be the best way to do it. I was thinkin of ordering the parts from a company and getting my local garage to fit them or even fit them myself, is this a good idea or should i fork out the money to the honda dealer Evil or Very Mad

Thanx

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
C'mon i'm desperate, i think my chains about to come off, one person out there must of changed their chain n sprokets, I mean how long does it take to write a post. Pleeeeeeeze i promise i wont ask anymore technical quetions after this one

PS: A bloke at M'cycle shities said that an O' ring chain would be too heavy for an NSR is he telli the truth, an whats the best chain to get not to price mind u

Thanx, well if anyone replies, so dont just read an go post a feckin msg or ill cry and be a car drive, and that'll be another nob an the road in a Bike killin machine, think about Twisted Evil

Luke

Please
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mole
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:07 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke ow come you bike needs sprockets an chain every
2 months!

Wat U doing Lands End to John O'Groats daily!!! Lol:

Mole

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:08 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 months seem pretty ridiculous. Have you lubed the chain? Have you been riding over severly salted roads?
If possible you should lube it after extended wet rides... though just this is unlikley to cause that much wear.
I do tend to knacker chains, usually with repeated cack-handed wheelies but have not had that short a chain life.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:39 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

2 months for a chain is silly. The first chain on my 1200 Bandit lasted over 15000 miles.

An O ring chain will absorb slightly more power than a normal chain, but they will also last long but cost more. It is up to you really.

Swapping a chain is not difficult, but will be messy (hint, get some of the think latex rubber gloves used by doctors, cleaners and mechanics). Take off the sprocket cover, slacken the rear axle, loosen the chain adjusters to move the wheel full forward (slacken each adjuster by the same number of turns), remove the rear wheel and take off the sprocket and replace it with the new one. Undo the split link on the chain. Take off the front spocket and replace it with the new one. Connect your new chain to the old one with the old split link, then pull it through (ie, pull the old chain so the new one is drawn around the front sprocket). Put the back wheel in place and connect the ends using the split link. The clip on the split link should be placed so that as the chain is rotating the closed end of the clip points in the direction of rotation (the idea is that any stone that hits it while in use will just push it into place, not knock it off). Then just adjust your chain and tighten everything up again

All thebest

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanx for the replies guys, I honestly havnt been doin that much to my chain and i lube the fucker up all the time i think i might have over lubed if thats possible
Rolling Eyes
Thanx kieth, are the split links easy to remove or do u need a special tool for the job, and do you recomend any chain n sproket sets for the smaller bikes.

Thanx again, Kith u should get a medal for the ammount of help u give to small people or at least get paid for it Laughing

Luke

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 10:46 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't start saying that or his next post will be 'All Cheques Payable To.....' lol Very Happy Only jokin' Keith.

Is your chain too tight or too slack, because this will make your chain wear out sooner, than if it is adjusted correctly.

And by the way, how many miles have you done in 2 months??? If you've been on a round the world trip then don't worry about it, but if you're averaging a few miles a day somethings wrong........

Sproketjockey
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:04 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: And I thought I woz bad Reply with quote

2 months, holy cow, oh well. I guess it's not your fault. I would not go for the o-ring chain as one of my mates had one on his Mito, which it didn't really like as too much power was absorbed, at least it lasted longer. If I have contradicted anybody I'm sorry, but experience is the best tool! I usually go to the Honda dealer mind you with sumthing like sprokets and chain, you mite aswel do it ureself!!!

P.s. Did you know that the mito has little nothes on each adjuster so you can never have the wheel not alligned unless you d it on purpose;:=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sproketjockey
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:04 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: And I thought I woz bad Reply with quote

2 months, holy cow, oh well. I guess it's not your fault. I would not go for the o-ring chain as one of my mates had one on his Mito, which it didn't really like as too much power was absorbed, at least it lasted longer. If I have contradicted anybody I'm sorry, but experience is the best tool! I usually go to the Honda dealer mind you with sumthing like sprokets and chain, you mite aswel do it ureself!!!

P.s. Did you know that the mito has little notches on each adjuster so you can never have the wheel not alligned unless you d it on purpose;:=

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanx e'body ill try an do it myself, i think the chain was a bit lose, infact probably quite alot, i have done a few mile like 150 last sunday an about 200 goin round box hill and i use it everyday to an from work (8 mile) and to work (4) so quite a few,

Plus=Are the split links easy to remove or do u need a special tool for the job, and do you recomend any chain n sproket sets for the smaller bikes.

Luke

Matt Phelps
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:54 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

My chain has been on my bike for months! At least 5000 miles I should think. The problem is that now I have moved I've lost my garage and I have to leave it outside.

Consequently the whole bike is rusting away merrily, including the chain AND the axle nut so I can't get the bastard thing off. It really needs adjusting too! Sad

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Yeah but where did u get you chain n sprokets from

Luke

Matt Phelps
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:15 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, the geezer at the garage put them on. They aren't anything special I don't think. The bike is a Bandit 600S.

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
oh Thanx anyway matt

Luke

PS how do you stop rusting of the chain an i lubed the fucker up every time i stopped ridin

Luke

Matt Phelps
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:28 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's going to rust up anyway really but I'd forget about that lube stuff. Get yourself an old paintbrush and some proper oil. You then can paint the oil onto the chain and make sure that it gets into all the links properly. Once you are all done you can wipe of the excess oil with a cloth and you should then have a nicely oiled chain that will last a long time - especially if you check the tension regularly.

It's time consuming but worth doing.

I really wish I practiced what I preach......

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Doesn't the oil flick off at high speed i put oil on it one and the rear cowlings got covered in black shite that took me ages to get off Sad

Luke

Matt Phelps
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:28 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to give it a decent wipe off afterwards. Don't leave the loose oil on there, it's just for lubrication.

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHHHHHH

Thanx im gunna geta set from M'cycle cities and do it myself. Thanx e'one who replied.

Luke

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:03 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrofly wrote:

Plus=Are the split links easy to remove or do u need a special tool for the job, and do you recomend any chain n sproket sets for the smaller bikes.

Hi

You can just remove the clip from a split link with a pair of pliers. The plate can then be pulled off (may take a bit of effort) and the link pushed through the other side.

Best chain I ever had on a small bike was an Ewis (or Iwis, cannot remember now) heavy duty one. Trouble is I broke 2 chain link splitters on it!

My RS needs a new chain. This has not been treated that well (no centrestand, so difficult to lube the chain properly), being regularly not used for months at a time (they always seem to need adjusting a few time rapidly if they havent been used for a while). This chain has survived 16000km and over 8 years.

I assume you fitted new sprockets with the last chain? Front one is the one that wears without people noticing as it is hidden. Other things that will cause them to wear are running them too tight (also will wreck the bearing behind the front sprocket), too loose, failing to lube it properly, etc. One to look out for is wheel alignment. If the rear wheel is out of alignment (either chain adjusters not adjusted equally, swinging arm bent, or rear wheel spacers in place incorrectly) then this will wear the chain as well.

Dont trust the marks on the swinging arm. They are almost certain to be totally inaccurate

All the best

Keith

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thamx again Kieth ure too good to us, it would be really cool to go round your house and see ure bikes and chat about em Laughing

Luke

Last edited by retrofly on 10:03 - 01 May 2002; edited 1 time in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:35 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long way from Woking to Stafford!

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 01 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaeh i know mabey in the next life Razz
Luke

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 09:50 - 01 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi
Thamx again Kieth ure too good to us, id love to come round your hose and see ure bikes and chat about em

Luke

Get your coat keith - youve pulled !! Wink

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 01 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Haha very funny i was only being nice Twisted Evil

Luke

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 22:16 - 01 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is after free bike labour, cos from what he sez his bike is more or less nackered Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2