Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

i am confused

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Martin

PostPosted: 20:54 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: i am confused Reply with quote

Right i have a 2001 NSR 125 uk model with a Nikon racing exhaust ok. Also a 15 tooth front sprocket. On average it did 90 mph on a straight so i thought i was missing out seeing as all u guys NSr do 100 +. So last Friday i sent my NSR for a Dyno Tune. Guess what they said. They put it on the rolling road and it did 106mph (this is with no wind resistance. They said to me sorry we cant do anything more to this. This is the best tuned NSR 125 they have seen. This shocked me. My NSR had 23bhp on the back wheel. ALl they could do was play with the carb slightly to improve acceleration. They offered to race tune it, but this would mean a clean out and change to the carb for every weather condition so i said no thanks. SO WHAT IS THE SECRET OF GETTIN 100MPH?? THe experts say i have top tuned bike?? Give me your views.

Also my dad has offered me his Suzuki GS500E if i sell my NSR to get him a new bike. The GS is significantly quicker than my NSR maxing out 110mph with 50bhp. Insurance is £100 more. What do you think i should do?
You must be logged in to rate posts

Mole
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:14 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Could it be that the speedo has been calibrated for the
correct number of revs from the gearbox assuming a
standard front and rear sprocket, plus the standard tyres?

Any changes to any of these will upset the speedo calibration.
The speedo heads on cars with mechanical speedos, all show the
number of revolutions per mile/km.

You may well be doing 100plus when your speedo indicates 90!

Mole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PostPosted: 22:16 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: nsr top speed Reply with quote

Very Happy the speedo is run from the front wheel so changing sprockets will make no difference to the speedo readings. take your old man up on his most generous offer. a cool bike is the gs500e, lots of street cred and no nsr will come near it. go for it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:23 - 29 Apr 2002    Post subject: Re: nsr top speed Reply with quote

The handling on the GS isn't that great but the parellel twin 50hp will easily out accelerate the NSR.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 13:37 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have the gearing right but the bike is down on power. 23bhp sounds too low for a full power nsr, it should be making 26 to 28.

On the dyno with no wind resistance and not having to carry a rider it topped out at 106mph - that means the gearing isn't the problem, but the power is. Are you sure your bike is UK spec? How did you de-restrict it? Did you have the jetting changed after fitting the exhaust system?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevo

PostPosted: 14:25 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that a full power NSR RR has 28bhp like Korn says, but thats the qouted power at the crank, so it is going to be less at the back wheel. Im guessing but 23bhp sounds about right, but its possible if your Nikon exhaust requires the carb to be re jetted, that you may be losing one or two bhp. Nikon pipes usually seem to make a motor rev out much more than it should, so it should be increasing the top speed not reducing it.The Kawasaki KMX125 has 24bhp just de restricted, but at the back wheel its more like 19.5bhp.

Martin

PostPosted: 14:30 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told not to rejet the carb so i didnt.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 17:18 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

How heavy are ya?
If youre a 19 stone fatty then youre gonna slow the bike down, aint ya.

Plus, wind resistance and friction from the roads are gonna slow you down anyway. Are you getting down behond the screen? If not, then theres gonna be more wind resistance from you, so get low!

Martin

PostPosted: 20:39 - 01 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a 19 stone fatty Smile i wiegh little over 12 stone. + i had the speedo chacked it was fine. O well i will wait till im 18 and get a VFR 400 NC30, anyone got and idea on insurance for them with 2 yrs no claims and 3 points on licence. (DAMN BIKER HATING PIGS 40 IN A 30 AND FOLLOWING CAR IN FRONT BAH)

Dylanoneill

PostPosted: 08:32 - 02 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its the speedo thats restricted then why dont you buy a cycle one then take the cable off the front wheel. On the dyno the front wheel dont move so if it was restricted by speedo then it wouldnt register.
Dyl
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1