Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RS Turbo Vrs NSR?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:27 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: RS Turbo Vrs NSR? Reply with quote

just out of intrest would i get beaten by and RS turbo? they seem very quick, i was just wondering should it beat the nsr?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevo

PostPosted: 14:31 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick an RS turbo? depends on your kinda quick i suppose, but in a car of that size and weight a 122bhp motor aint gonna be anything special. Any full power 125 should smoke one on acceleration, my old KMX200 would have, so an NSR should have no problem.
You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:28 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You should be able to take a standard one. Trouble is with turbo engines they are very easy to modify (engine life might get a tad marginal though) and I think they will go up to around 200hp with alot of effort. At that kind of power level you will have a real hard time (but then so will the cars front tyres!).

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevo

PostPosted: 22:15 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldent want one of them with 200hp, those Ford OHC 1600 engines are pretty rough, so it would probably go pop quite quickly. I agree that Turbo Car engines have alot of potential for big hp, particualry Jap cars from the last 10yrs or so. The thing is that to make massive power gains there are so many things that need to be changed, that it would cost a huge amount. But for those who can afford to thow a few ££££'s worth of the HKS catalouge at their cars, then they can go pretty quick, for a car at least!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:40 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, the CVH engine, Coarse, Vibrationairy and Harsh

All the best

Keith

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:05 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: t Reply with quote

thanks for that i was just wondering i know a couple of people with them wondered how i would fair

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:12 - 30 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is quite funny seeing what people have done to cars.

For example on most turbo cars it is easy to wind the boost up to get more power. A friend picked up a cheap Fiat Uno Turbo and I think someone had played with the wastegate actuating arm to increase boost. Trouble is the the Uno turbo has a safety cutoff switch, which cuts the ignition if the boost preasure goes over 1 bar. With this car if you put your foot down it went well for a second or 2, then died as the safety switch got triggered and cut the ignition.

Would have been easy enough to fix, and a doddle to bypass, but it is strange the things people will do

All thebest

Keith

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 01 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a 2 litre astra turbo? my friend's just bought one and he reckons the 0-60 is 6.9 secs, is this bullshit? I hope so cos it will piss me off if his car will nearly keep up with my bike!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 04 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine.........don't reply.....see if I care Crying or Very sad ( Laughing )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:11 - 04 May 2002    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

i have never tried keen but if its 6.9 seconds u should keep up with him.

i follwed an RS turbo toda he saw me behind him and started giving it some stick i was just glued to the back of him though coulndt get away

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 23:54 - 04 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very much the 0-60 is 6.9 secs, but even if it is I can put money on him being a crap driver, so even though the car maybe capable of that the driver won't be.

I suppose the same could be argued against bikes but I won't go there cos we are all mint riders aren't we lads Laughing

PostPosted: 00:42 - 05 May 2002    Post subject: how much do you weigh Reply with quote

i would say if you only weigh 4 stone then your going to beat him. the nsr is a very quick bike for a 125 but against a turbo i think you could be wasting your time.

i`ve raced apprillias and wasted them and a few other bikes but i`m a fat basser.

Wink

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 05 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yeah he is a crap driver- he's had six accidents (stupid things like running into the back of people and hitting kurbs on the outside of corners) in his old fiesta already and hes been driving less than a year!

I intend to stay out of his way to be honest, I wouldn't feel safe with him anywhere near me. He's a good laugh though and he says he's gonna get a bike in the summer after he does his test (his dads a biker).

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 05 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

to match the acceleration of a full power NSR125 you'd have to be getting atleast about 400bhp. I think anyways!

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 05 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he said it had around 200bhp- but I can't remember exactly. 400 sounds about right, I remember reading something about Bentley's having 380bhp and a 0-60 of 5.5sec, and they're really heavy.

Neil

PostPosted: 16:22 - 05 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

400Bhp??????? No chance. u would have 2 have a 160-180bhp car to keep up with an NSR, well thats up 2 60mph ish, then u r fucked cause they'll just keep going to 140mph.

PostPosted: 18:57 - 05 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all about power to weight ratios!! My friend owns a Caterham superlight only about 135HP... 0-60HP in 4.8 seconds..

If an NSR with a Polini kit would do 35 HP, and the laden weight being about 210ish.. the power to weight works out to be 165 BHP to the tonne.

Most stock standard 1.6 litre JAP turbo cars could produce about 180-200 BHP and would weight just over a tonne, therefore these cars would be able to keep up and take us NSR riders on the top-end! The quater mile times will show this better. Smile

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 05 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not talking about top speeds, but 0-60 times.
a basic turbo car on the road would prob go past a NSR at about 80
a 250 bhp at about 70
and a modern 400bhp at about 50-55
...these are my guestimates anyway!
however if a 400bhp car made even a small mistake at the start and it had some spin, you can add nearly another second onto the 0-60 time.

caterham 7's are my fave summer car, and they're local to me!
a world record 0-100-0mph in 11 seconds. only broken once the £500k maclaren F1 came out.

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 05 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

just done a lil web search to find car 0-60 times. dunno about how powerful they are though.
I think this twin engined renault 5 would beat an NSR.
https://uk.msnusers.com/bigandclever/Documents/Files/Bike%20Stuff/Forum%20linked%20pics/0%20to%2060.jpg?t=2QQBTgZWtDhpwvsImSuculkKF9HzbHiXshXZZ3JGulRIZK3Tw9YX7eFxDWfmm3zFDI8pFv2e1fsITNUfo!jE4sxQ$$&p=2QQBTgZWtBi2pehurFKMvQtlnnn9J6*k3rOCsuyxoE205UE7BODetfgZ6wdNjpoL!Q9jkPoQlIm3IqbW!U7im4Y5pOVwsHUz5QnkxM3*bLxRP7tNA1uLJryOrP1w2VCgEwaJD45yElAZ!2XP58dcNIydquWncP0o62jTw8gwH7lHgg7fRgbHgJCg$$&did=3

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:55 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My better halfs car weighs around 1400kg and has 250hp (but it hindered with an auto box). The manual version of that gets to 60 in around 5.5~6 seconds (the auto is close as what it looses through the auto box, it gains from not having to close the throttle, which screws up turbo car acceleration).

The Astra according to Autocar gets to 60 in 7.2 seconds. You should manage to take that, but make sure you find a traffic jam soon after you get to 60 as he would certainly be quicker up to 90.

Aerodynamics (and bikes are really bad for aerodynamics) start having an effect at fairly low speed, long before 60.

Oh, and most car magazines test cars with a driver and a passenger, whereas bikes are just tested with a rider.

All the best

Keith

batman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:36 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: yay Reply with quote

heres a really good list of cars and bikes 1/4 mile times (some are a bit out!)
the cars are standard(there are quicker than the mclaren f1, a twin engined r5 with a 9.2 sec 1/4 mile for example) but it shows the difference in acceleration between a normal road car and road bike(also nsr and rs125's arent the same, rs is slightly quicker)
accordin to this both do 15.8 1/4 mile and u can see some of the cars u should beat to it, just after this your screwed!
https://www.syclone.freeserve.co.uk/rivals.htm

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:18 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

With bikes the weight of the rider makes a hell of a lot more difference than it does with a car.

Mind you, I suspect bike clutches accept the abuse of standing starts rather better than car clutches (and even when they do go bang, they are alot easier to change, except maybe with the exception of an old Saab 99 / 900).

By the way, the RS is listed twice, once for the 1994 model (15.8 seconds) and once for the 2001 model (15.3 seconds). Both are listed with the same amount of power, and it would not surprise me if much of that difference is down to different riders.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1