Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

V & J Honda of Bridgwater Somerset - Disgrace

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

aha-shake
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:04 - 15 Dec 2006    Post subject: V & J Honda of Bridgwater Somerset - Disgrace Reply with quote

Let me begin by explaining that I'm in the process of rebuilding my Cat D write off Varadero 125.

Basically, the damage was all at the front end, and it needed new forks (bent) and new fairings.

So, I of course trotted off down to the local Honda garage, which happens to be V & J superbikes in Bridgwater. I've had extensive experience with the V & J group before, with their Yamaha store thanks to my ludicrously useless TZR 50. Although seriously under staffed, (with no actual parts manager, a fact that made the lone employee of the time quit) they were quite adequate in buying parts from.

However, with V & J Honda of Bridgwater, the same cannot be said.

Basically after a week of waiting after ordering the parts I needed (an extremely lengthy process in itself) I returned to them on the pickup day to find that not only had they not managed to even order all the parts I had asked for (1 seal not two etc) they had ordered the entirely wrong parts of the forks.

Instead of the STANCHIONS I had wanted, they had bought in the Fork bottoms, or legs. They put this mistake down to me not saying I wanted stanchions, which I had all along. So, they re-ordered the stanchions, which coincidentally were 30 pounds less so I had to be refunded.

In a phone conversation 2 days later to order yet another part I was told by the chap on the phone that because of MY mistake, they were stuck with £300 quids worth of parts they didnt need. What mistake I ask? Well, they have now decided that I did order stanchions all along, and thats what the fork bottoms/legs are called. This is completely wrong and I told them so.

Well, a week plus later, today, I returned to collect the new parts, and lo and behold not quite all of them had arrived, with a mirror still on back order.

The guy at the parts counter handed over my STANCHIONS, and when I asked whether he could tell me the volume of fork oil I would need in each fork he replied "No, I cant.".

Knowing this was completely rediculous I asked why not, to which he replied "Why should I?"...

Perhaps because you are a Honda dealership with a service department I asked. He then said he would check "out back".

I took this moment to note on how poor the service had been entirely, and instantly the bloke became extremely riled and aggressive, and started shouting about leaving him with a £300 parts bill!

No way I was going to have that, left with my parts, told him I would not be returning and would be writing to the manager.

"I am the manager." He says.

"No, I meant the manager of V & J in its entirety."

To which he replied "I am the manager of V & J entirely."

Well, im yet to find out if this is true, but I simply cannot believe the APPALLING customer service of that place, and will be writing to Honda to complain.

I would advise all of you to steer well clear of the joint.

shake
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

aha-shake
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:07 - 15 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should point out that was written by my Dad, who was a mechanic for 20 years as well as riding amateur trials for 10.

He knows whats what.

shake
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 15 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went in there looking to buy trousers, didn't bother in the end but the sales woman in the shop was pretty good. No idea what their parts service is like though, so I'll just stay clear if I ever get a Honda. Shocked

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 15 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my nearest dealer is miles kingsport in hull or malton, anyone had dealings with either of these?

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 16 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i totally agree that this is bad customer service, i would just mention 2 points.

The first is that i thought fork bottoms and stanchions were the same thing Shifty . Perhaps thats forgivable as i dont work in a bike dealership though.

The second is a bit more serious. Its something that i have argued about with a friend (who works in a bike dealership) quite a lot. He says that it is not the responsibility of the dealership to help you fix your bike yourself.

He claims its not their job to tell you how much oil to put in it, or find out the right part numbers, especially for things like bolts, which can be a major hassle. If you want to fix your bike yourself, thats fine, but really, ordering the right thing is your responsibility. However, they do often end up having to find out the part numbers for the customer, and they get it in the neck if the wrong thing is ordered.

My friend says that the most annoying thing though, is when people come in and say "my bikes broke". They describe the symptoms and want to be given solutions. Sometimes the staff at the dealership try to help, suggesting, for example, a change of sparkplugs. The customer buys the sparkplugs and leaves. Then, 2 days later, the customer comes back, says "nope, that didnt work", and wants to return the sparkplugs and try something else.

I'm not saying that you have done any of these things, or that what the dealership has done is ok, only that this sort of confusion is not uncommon, and is trying for the staff as well as customers.

While i can see his point on a lot of this, my arguement is that there is no way that people can find the exact part numbers that they need. Part of the problem you had was because you couldnt find out the part number for the stanchions. Honda dealerships have access to a database of technical drawings of all the bikes, and the part numbers. But its not open to the general public. So the dealerships and customers are stuck in this situation.

I think they should either, put all the parts numbers in the haynes manual, or allow access to the database by the general public. That way, the only mistake the dealership could make would be in writing down the part number wrong (or, as in your case, not ordering them at all!). Until then, we're all stuck, and this kind of thing will keep happening.

Zen Dog

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 16 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

top^ Thumbs Up , have to agree.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:12 - 16 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
While i can see his point on a lot of this, my arguement is that there is no way that people can find the exact part numbers that they need. Part of the problem you had was because you couldnt find out the part number for the stanchions. Honda dealerships have access to a database of technical drawings of all the bikes, and the part numbers. But its not open to the general public. So the dealerships and customers are stuck in this situation.

I think they should either, put all the parts numbers in the haynes manual, or allow access to the database by the general public. That way, the only mistake the dealership could make would be in writing down the part number wrong (or, as in your case, not ordering them at all!). Until then, we're all stuck, and this kind of thing will keep happening.

I don't really understand this point. Whenever I've ordered specific parts from my local Honda dealership the dealer almost always gets his technical drawings out on the computer, we both have a look to identify and confirm the part needed and then it's ordered - simple.

aha-shake
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:13 - 16 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:

I don't really understand this point. Whenever I've ordered specific parts from my local Honda dealership the dealer almost always gets his technical drawings out on the computer, we both have a look to identify and confirm the part needed and then it's ordered - simple.

Exactly right, this has always been the case with other dealers, including other V & J outlets.

I would like to point out that this was actually the experience of my Dad who was a mechanic for 20 years so knew exactly what he needed, and the it wasnt a case of "my bikes broke".

shake Mr. Green

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 16 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can download microfiche for your bike.

aha-shake
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:45 - 16 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need, just asked a decent dealer.

shake Wink

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 13:41 - 17 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that attitude i would have told them to keep the parts.
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 19 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How on earth could a honda dealer be 'stuck' with parts from his supplier. If theyre wrong, they go back - surely they are on the approval of the customer?

I like the 'I am the manager' bit Rolling Eyes

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:56 - 19 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright ben, Long time no speak. Hows the leg? Every time i go to V & J in bridgwater its closed!!!!! i always use bransons in yeovil parts arrive quickly and a nice friendly service. Id advise you try them in the future. Give me a shout when your back on the road and we'll go for a blat. If you can keep up!!!!

Take it easy mate.
Rob

aha-shake
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:44 - 19 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob son, got home literally 5 minutes ago from hospital, I can walk, and ride again!

shake

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:59 - 20 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bike fixed then? we'll have to meet up in the new year and go for a ride. Have you booked your test yet?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 20 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They wouldn't usually be stuck with the parts but they would probably have to pay a re-stocking fee.

Since the varadero has conventional forks, the dealer should have questioned it if he thought you were ordering the fork bottoms but not the stanchions, since it's the stanchions that would bend in a frontal, not the fork bottoms (not likely anyway). He could have done that, or he could have shown you on the fiche, or he could have marched you to the nearest bike in the shop and asked "do you want this bit or that bit". He didn't do that because he sounds like a lazy ignorant wannabe-bully and if he's stuck with a bill then I say jolly bloody good thing too.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

aha-shake
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:48 - 20 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
They wouldn't usually be stuck with the parts but they would probably have to pay a re-stocking fee.

Since the varadero has conventional forks, the dealer should have questioned it if he thought you were ordering the fork bottoms but not the stanchions, since it's the stanchions that would bend in a frontal, not the fork bottoms (not likely anyway). He could have done that, or he could have shown you on the fiche, or he could have marched you to the nearest bike in the shop and asked "do you want this bit or that bit". He didn't do that because he sounds like a lazy ignorant wannabe-bully and if he's stuck with a bill then I say jolly bloody good thing too.

Exactly.

Rob : Test was done before crash, yeah bikes on the road again, a ride in the new year sounds good, though obviously the Varadero isnt quite as brisk as the zx6!

Hope to get an SV roundabout Febuary time though.

PM me your number and I'll give you a bell.

shake

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:00 - 20 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good. will drop you a pm. You didnt tell me bout the test. so congrats on that and speak soon.

Take it easy
Yeti
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1