BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Out of place?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 13:14 - 21 Dec 2006    Post subject: Out of place? Reply with quote

Well i hate to post up again in this section, i feel terribly useless but hey that's what this bit's for!

Me and the family (Mummy, Daddy, older sis and younger bro) were sat around the table after eating dinner and my brother was talking about his mocks. And how he recently got an A* in biology.

Now the school he's currently attending (my sister and i were also there) are known for their extremely high grades. It's very rare anyone gets below a C grade for GCSE.

My sister also quickly piped up about her astounding grades (3 A*s and 6 As). Now, neither of them are social rejects. In fact, they might be deemed as 'popular' by the rest of their year/friends. The thing is, they're fucking geniuses compared to myself.

No one uttered a word about my grades because my family knows i'm not the brightest bulb in the box (I got 3 Bs, 4Cs and a D). But the thing that gets me is, my parents are VERY hard working people, fuck my mum is my full time teacher and in her FREE time she's a garden designer and slowly earning a fortune off that.

My dad always comes in every night very tired and worn out and stressed because he's had a long day working his utter BOLLOCKS off. Now this all and dandy except for my tiny little thing.

I'm useless. I live at home and i'm jobless, and spend generally a lot of time hanging about doing fuck all/kiteboarding. In january i'm off on a trip to the Phillipines to do an instructors course in kiteboarding and can start earning some money.

Thing is, at the moment, i just feel like i'm sucking them dry (this trip is costing them a lot of money, half of which i fully intend to pay back). But there's a problem, i left school after GCSEs to get an OND in Vehicle Maintenance and Engineering. Get a job as mechanic i hear you say? I can't, it doesn't pay well enough. It's about 400 quid a month.

Any solutions? Advice? Shut the fuck ups?

Chris

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:24 - 21 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone ends up somewhere mate, and in your case, it's never going to homeless.

Your family loves you right?
You family does things for you?

It's what happens, if you feel bad about it, that's your problem.

Well, grades, as many people will agree with on here, are not the be all and end all of life in the working world.
You make your own path, if you don't knuckle down at something now you might fall into a rut, and you don't want that happening.
It's hard to get out of again.

Mechanics never worked for you....big deal, it is literally time that has been taken from you, you're still you, still capable of putting 2 and 2 together, still capable of working at something.

So work it out, if you're waiting for something, as in, your kiteboarding course, then wait.....there's no harm in that. Just make sure you have looked into all possible outcomes of that course.

And remember, you can get a job easily with the grades you have, something to earn a bit of money while you wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 21 Dec 2006    Post subject: Re: Out of place? Reply with quote

The fact that you posted this shows me that you have a concience.

It is hard being the less academic amoungst siblings.

If you know what you want to do in life, you are (IMHO) half way there.

You don't have to be the most academic to be the greatest achiever or earn more, altough you could say it should make it easier.

Try not to compare yourself, we are all different.

Good luck in finding what you want to do

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 21 Dec 2006    Post subject: Re: Out of place? Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
In january i'm off on a trip to the Phillipines to do an instructors course in kiteboarding and can start earning some money.

If you can earn a living doing something you love your parents will be made up for you. You say your dad busts his ass working every day and hates it... do you think he wants the same for you? Life isn't all about grades and money.

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 22 Dec 2006    Post subject: Re: Out of place? Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:

No one uttered a word about my grades because my family knows i'm not the brightest bulb in the box (I got 3 Bs, 4Cs and a D).

Thing is, at the moment, i just feel like i'm sucking them dry (this trip is costing them a lot of money, half of which i fully intend to pay back).

1. Stop fretting about the grades.... not everyone is uber academic, but that doesnt mean you are thick. You will have skills that your brother and sister dont have, and you will be able to utilize these when you decide what path your going to take.

2. As for sucking yoru parents dry...at least you realise that they are helping and supporting you, and are not just taking it for granted. You obviously feel pretty guilty about this, so why not just have a quiet word with them.... just telling them how much you appreciate what they do for you. I am sure they would appreciate that.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 10:17 - 22 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your grades are better than mine and I know for a fact that with my grades I could've gone on any college course I wanted but chose not to. At 22 I've only just got some sort of idea in what direction I want to head in life career wise, not everybody decides at 16 what they want to do and sticks to it.

I've been an office monkey for the past 4 years and decided I hate it so I'm going to go elsewhere in time, you just need to figure out what you do or don't want to do which isn't something that can be decided in an hour.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 10:55 - 22 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You like kiteboarding so I'm assuming you're a pretty keen sportsman/outdoorsey type?

I'm sure I've suggested this before on BCF but look at outdoors instructor courses whilst this may not lead to a full time job it's something you can use at the weekends/holidays when school groups etc go to activity centres and want to learn to rock climb/canoe/kitesurf etc.

I am also sure that whatever you do your family will be proud of you, academic achievement isn't the be all and end all - since I started university no one has asked me GCSE grades I got (shame really, everything else was down hill from there Laughing ).

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 11:11 - 22 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
shame really, everything else was down hill from there Laughing

Laughing That was good for a giggle, Cheers Thumbs Up

As i said in my first post, i'm going to the Phillipines (Boracay) for a month in Jan to do a kiteboard instructors course.

After that i can apply for a job with a centre ANYWHERE in the world which'd be rather cool.

Only thing is, i'm not entirely sure how well they'll be paying. That's why, like Shaun, i'm considering being an office monkey so i can get some cash in the piggy back so i've got something to fall back on if it goes tits up!

Annabella, you heard of PGL centres? I went on one a while ago when i was 14 with a mate and had a bundle of laughs so i was considering something like that as well. Thy do rock climbing, cannoing even a bit of dirtbiking/quad biking. All of which i'm fairly compontent at.

And Shaun i'm 18 not 16 Razz I guess there aren't many people my age who know what they want to do with their lives Laughing

Cheers for the posts guys, keep 'em coming. They're really helping Smile

Annabella

PostPosted: 11:25 - 22 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I'm nearly 24 and don't know what I want to do with my life. Though to be honest, I'm quite enjoying being an office-type monkey sitting doing not a lot all day, organising the occasional meeting, telling people to do stuff they don't want to and fiddling statistics so they look good/bad (depending who I'm showing them to).

However, this wasn't what I had in mind when I headed off to University for a glorious three years bumming around reading books and making music.

If you're still in the South West it's worth you considering joining a Mountain Rescue team when you get back, you'll immediately have a huge group of friends, learn a lot and gain loads of valuable experience, especially if you're considering the PGL/activity centre route (not that I'm biased or anything...) Smile
Here are a couple of links to MR teams in the area:
https://www.ascrt.com/
https://www.cornwallsar.org.uk/
https://www.dartmoor-rescue.org/
https://www.dcro.org.uk/
https://website.lineone.net/~exmoorsearchandrescue
https://www.sara-rescue.org.uk/
Thumbs Up

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 11:26 - 22 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone is academic, but I am sure your family would appreciate someone with mechanical skills when their car plays up, or a family member always willing to do the physical work when required.

Its all horses for courses, each is good at different things.

£400 quid a month might not sound too good just now, but at the end of the course/apprenticeship you would be able to earn much more. My advice is to do want you most want to do in yourself, as most people stuck in mundane jobs only started them to earn cash shorttime/waiting for their dream oportunity, then got stuck their as responsibilities came along.

But my best advice is to stop asking advice on here and instead sit down with the whole family and discuss it with them, at the very least they will know how much you value their support and how proud of them you are Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 21:56 - 22 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella, why do you say you're not bias? You done some work there or something? Unfortunately i'm not in UK, i'm back in Dubai and won't be back in the SW area till summer again!

Kwaker, i already play a fairly major role in the family, i do all the servicing of all 3 4x4s in the family! So for that i'm sure they appreciate me, i hope anyway!

As for sitting down with them and talking about, i'm hardly a public speaker, so i'm not sure how i'd go about it. I've dragged my mum to one side already and had a chat with her about my dad etc and she says he's just stressed out and is taking out on me.

Just grit my teeth kinda scenario i guess..

Annabella

PostPosted: 22:14 - 22 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
Annabella, why do you say you're not bias? You done some work there or something?

It's all voluntary, but I spent my university period training with Central Beacons Mountain Rescue Team

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:06 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Re: Out of place? Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
I live at home and i'm jobless, and spend generally a lot of time hanging about doing fuck all/kiteboarding.

This is your problem. You need to be working, even if it is for shit money doing something with no prospects whatsoever.

It's all well and good feeling bad about living off your parents, but if you're capable of getting any job at all then you should be working. Whilst your parents would probably feel dissapointed if you spent 6 months or so doing a really shit job, at least they wouldn't think you lazy. Unfortunately working is a neccessity for 99% of people aged 18-65, and your parents won't consider you truly an independant trustworthy adult untill you show them you understand this.

Try and figure out what you want to do in life, try and come up with a career path that will lead you to success and wealth, that your parents will be proud of, but don't be afraid to graft your arse off in the meantime.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would have asked you to leave by now if they truly thought you were a no-hoper.

But if you are seriously doing nothing at home, and your parents are busy all day, then do the bloody housework. Make sure its clean and tidy so that when they come home from work they dont then have to do the chores.

Ask your mum to show you how to use the washing machine, how to sort out the clothes etc.

Also you could get the vegetables prepared for dinner each evening.

Its small gestures like this which will ensure your parents total support while you sort out what you are doing with your life.

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
But if you are seriously doing nothing at home, and your parents are busy all day, then do the bloody housework. Make sure its clean and tidy so that when they come home from work they dont then have to do the chores.

Ask your mum to show you how to use the washing machine, how to sort out the clothes etc..

I started doing this, sort of, even though I'm in full time college and part time work, I tend to finish earlier than them, just doing some washing loads and the dishes, giving a quick hoover will make your parents a lot happier, I found that any way Smile Only really takes like half an hour, if that, to give the house a good once over (assuming you live in a 4 bed semi like me lol)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay I levt skool wif kno GCSEs hand Im allrigt..... Thumbs Up

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 21:46 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR-AD wrote:
Hay I levt skool wif kno GCSEs hand Im allrigt..... Thumbs Up

So did l, now 20y old earning 30k per year working 4 days on 4 days off Laughing
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do too bad tbh..... Thumbs Up

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 22:14 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger, i already do that so that i have SOMETHING to do, cooking's also been something i've done since i was ickle so i'm regularly doing the meals for the family as well.

ncrn, in england terms, i live in a mansion. 5 bedroom with en suite bathrooms. Our full time maid thinks i'm trying to make her redundant because i do so much! (bless)

I've decided i'll be fucking off as soon as i've done my instructors course, there was a massive shit storm today and it turns out my 'best' friends of 9 years + are utter cunts. Oh well Neutral

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
ncrn, in england terms, i live in a mansion. 5 bedroom with en suite bathrooms. Our full time maid thinks i'm trying to make her redundant because i do so much! (bless)

Well at least you aren't doing nothing for your family, when you find what you wanna do, I'm sure you'll succeed if you try hard enough, you seem to want to, so when your able to go out there and face the world, and then buy a nice bike with the profits Wink

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 09:37 - 24 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
and then buy a nice bike with the profits Wink

I've got this baby lined up for this time next year.

https://moto.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/Master_Suzuki_600-750_GSXR_2006_Web.jpg

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 26 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next door neighbour has one, it looks and sounds amazing, so yeh get one of them Very Happy

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 20:03 - 26 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
My next door neighbour has one, it looks and sounds amazing, so yeh get one of them Very Happy

Bastard guy! Sponged a ride off him yet? Razz

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 26 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

not yet, don't see him very much, I've seen him a couple of times coming back home as I'm going out.

His car isn't there all the time so I think he's away a lot lol.

Willow
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:42 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gcse's were not brill but they got me into A levels, to do something, to be fair i cant remmeber all the grades from back then. I know that the school i did GCSEs at, boosted high results and yeah, mine were not great in fact my old french teacher could not believe her luck id scrapped a pass (neither could i either! Confused still recon the papers were mixed up) but the point is you dont need to be accademic to be of use and earn a wage... your proveing that round the house by the sound of it! Smile being practical is fine, in fact look at a lot of successfull people Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2