Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trainee Electrician

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:56 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Trainee Electrician Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on getting in to a job as an Electrician. I started my City & Guilds 2330 in September but I want to work out a plan of where to start. At the moment I'm working on 3rd line support in a software support desk and have done for the last 7 year Confused

I would like someone to take me on as a trainee or at least have a strategy of what i'll do or who I'll contact when I finish the course. Would one of the many knowledgeable trade people on here be able to give me their advice/opinion?

Thanks

Mark

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phone all of the local companys is my advice, thats what i done when i started my apprentiship, or try and find a self employed sparkey and offer to help him on a saturday so you can gain onsite experiance (i know someone that done this, just dont expect £££)

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 20:01 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant wrote:
just dont expect £££)

Unfortunately... That honestly IS the case...
Suggestions.. Thinking phone, email, phone more, go right through the local directory ask local builders as very often they sub-contract to electricians and vice versa...
Always remember.. Be nice to the girls in the office... They could possibly be the ones that sort everything including placements and apprenticeships.
Perhaps you could ask the your college if they can help? I know we have a really good level of communication with both the colleges here!
Other than that... get on ya bike and get seeing people!
Hope you get it sorted!

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:07 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most colleges will help pupils get a job, go ask at your college.. I am a 2nd year apprentice on the city & guilds course and I know the college I go to help as much as they can to find pupils work placements.

Other than that, send your CV to every electrical firm in your area and hope someones employing. Most employers tend to wait until you finish your first year full time course before taking people on as then they can see the person is a bit more serious about it and *should* know a bit more than someone just starting out from scratch.. remember, employers are out to make money, not to train people up..

Just keep trying and you'll find a job Cool

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 01:18 - 24 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very difficult to find trade apprenticeships these days, most are found though word of mouth, sending letters to engineering companies asking if they are intrested in an apprentice would be a good start to get into the engineering industry and become a proper electrician unless your looking to become a house basher.

Just be prepared to earn £6 per hour for 3-4 years before you get on a good rate.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:10 - 24 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the pointers, eveybody. I know i'm going to have to take a big pay cut but that's my own fault for not doing it years ago.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:26 - 24 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
Its very difficult to find trade apprenticeships these days, most are found though word of mouth, sending letters to engineering companies asking if they are intrested in an apprentice would be a good start to get into the engineering industry and become a proper electrician unless your looking to become a house basher.

Just be prepared to earn £6 per hour for 3-4 years before you get on a good rate.

£6? you'd be lucky!

Starting rate for an apprenticeship is something like £4.20 for first year and something like £5.43 for 2nd year, and goes up per year etc.. fully qualifed rate is quite a bit of ££ and even better if your company has a lot of overtime available.. some of the sparks at our place were earning mega bucks this summer...

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 22:24 - 24 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rates are up to the employeer but when l started my apprencship almost 4 years ago the NICEIC were recomending £2.40 per hour for 16y old as apprentices under the age of 19 do not qualify for the minumum wage, but no mug in his right mind would work for that so most 16y old olds start on £4ish then up to £6 near then end of the 3-4 years.

l worked for my dad in his engineering department during the first year of my apprencship and was getting £5 per hour which most others in my collage class were getting too the after the year l was on £6 per hour, then the company went out of busniess and l got stuck working at a rivels company for £5.50 per hour till the end Rolling Eyes
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 26 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty sure that a first year apprentice isn't covered under minimum wage no matter how old they are, i know people who helped for free on evenings and weekends to gain experiance.
DonTony This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1