Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Enlarged congestion zone

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

raak
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:41 - 26 Dec 2006    Post subject: Enlarged congestion zone Reply with quote

Does anyone know or aware of any petition/group bringing pressure to increase the solo M/C bays in london?

Came back to biking for the freedom and to avoid the trains and buses. Cool
But soon found out that my 10 minute run to work ( Wink strictly 30 officer!!) left me hunting for spots to park,
as all the bays fill up early (5 bays = space for about 35 bikes/scooter)
Parking was taking as long as the journey was!!

This will probably get worse when the western extension comes my way, as I expect some people
who currently drive into the zone to switch to bikes to avoid the congestion charge.

Effectively leaving with the worry that when I get to work (10 minutes) I may not find a space Embarassed
and have to return home and come in by bus/train completely defeating the object of congestion charging. Evil or Very Mad
Bikes are part of the congestion solution NOT the problem!

Any thoughts on this one, you london bikers?

michaelpagesb...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 27 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found out abouth all this
Quote:
Did you know that FREE biking bays are to be converted into permit bays in Kensington & Chelsea?

Kensington & Chelsea are about to start charging. They have just posted signs, in inconspicious places, requesting objections be sent in writing by January 5th.

We have created a standard letter of objection. If you would like a copy, please email us. Letters of objection should be sent here by Jan 5th:
Project Centre, Saffron Court, 14b St Cross Street, London, EC1N 8XA

Hardly anyone is aware of this change, and the council have done their best to bury the good news during the Christmas break.

Peter Weeden at the council has provided a map of the proposed changes, in a letter he claimed was sent to all residents, which we didn't receive until we specifically requested it. From what I have seen, the majority of current biking bays are to be converted to permit bays only. They are proposing to build ONLY 3 new free motorcycle bays in the whole of the borough. Approximately only 50 existing bays in the whole of the largest borough in London will remain as free motorcycle bays. Their assumptions for the changes are based on fiction and not fact. According to Mr Weeden, the assessment team assumed that any bike seen parked in a bay overnight was a resident. The team were, obviously, unable to check this, and so have no accurate idea of the amounts of non-residents staying overnight in the borough.

Under current rules, households are only entitled to a maximum of two parking permits per address. If these rules remain in place, student households, where typically several students live together, will only be allowed two parking permits, even though there may be more than two, possibly five residents, each with their own scooter.

These changes to current motorcycle parking will doubtless be watched with interest by Westminster, who are planning a similar change, and by all other London boroughs. This will create chaos for every motorcyclist who bikes from one borough to another. It is a tax directly aimed at bikers simply to raise revenue for councils.

Parking bikes in London is already difficult, and these proposals will add to this problem. I have begun leafleting bikes in Kensington and Chelsea to make the owners aware of the situation. Hundreds are emailing asking for more information as they wish to object.

Bikers who visit London will be put off as parking will become so much of an issue. Bikers from everywhere will be affected.

We have written a sample letter for those affected to modify and send to the council with their objections.

If you would like a copy, please email us. We will get back to you asap.

Remember, we need to ojbect, in writing, by Jan 5th.
BIKERS ARE VOTERS.

for more on this https://free4bikers.org.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

raak
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:17 - 28 Dec 2006    Post subject: Congestion zone Reply with quote

Michael, cheers for the shout. Thumbs Up Very Happy
I live in hammersmith, just the wrong end of the new zone, so got a bike to avoid traffic and charges ( Like ya do) Laughing
And bugger me, i drive into south ken every day and find parking hard enough as it is and now their doing this as well!! Evil or Very Mad

Good site, dropped off a few lines, so added my tuppence worth.
can't believe it!, we help the problem, and the F*****S want to screw us twice.
Once by charging ( for WHAT) and then by reducing where we CAN park. Unbelievable. Middle Finger

Next year back to travelling cattle class, But I live in an enlightened borough and parking is free on
residents bays ( at the moment) so maybe some councils can see the light !
It's not an oncoming train, Mr Mayor, it's a MOTORBIKE!! Cool Cool

cheers Jim.
ride safe mate.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1