Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Guys, I need you help.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 17:51 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Guys, I need you help. Reply with quote

Ive gotta do a website for Uni, so im doing a bike insurance thing.

Basically, I need your quotes and details so inclusion. Any quotes youve had would be great, whether its what youre actualy paying or just something youve had a look at.

I wanna know age, NCD, #claims, first part of postcode(egST17), city, bike and insurer. EG: mine is 19, 1, 0, ST17, Stafford, NSR125F, choice quote.

The quotes are gonna go into a database which you can search from the page to find a similar quote to what you need then you can see whos a good insurer for ya.

Cheers all.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:06 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Re: Guys, I need you help. Reply with quote

See my website (and follow link for zx6r insurance quotes) for a load of quotes on my zx6r and some for my flat mates R6.

www.insurancequotes.org.uk is a very similar thing... you could probably nick a load of data from there. Richard who made it probably wouldn't be happy if you actually posted his data on the internet though as he seems to have put quite a lot of work into it.. ie getting it in the news sections in various magazines etc.

I have been meaning to sort out my site so other people could add stuff... more just as an exercise for me learning php/mysql than anything else.

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: TPO? Reply with quote

Hey

You want just TPFT quotes? I got TPO insurance on my new bike

If you want TPO, heres mine

17, 0, 0, TF3, Telford, Sym Huskey, Carole Nash, £426 (TPO)

MultiSync
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:09 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote for : Honda NSR125R/Sym Jet 100
NCB : 2
#claims : 0
Post Code : DL5
Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham
Quote by :
Choice Quote : £420
Heath Lambert : £320

Insurance quotes are Third Party, Fire and Theft. Includes driving other bikes, £100 Comp Excess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 19:21 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

G: me and a mate of mine did actually have the idea about 2 years ago, and asked Ride mag for help but they just ignored the mails so we didnt bother. This wont actually be on the net anyway, just the uni intranet cuz theyre asp server aint public.

The rest of you, i forgot to include type of insurane (TPO etc) and xs.

Cheers Dodd and Multi for the reminders Smile

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

18, 0, 0, DL14, Co. Durham, Cagiva Planet

Carole nash- £325 (TPO)
Qouteline 125- £323 (TPO), £423 (TPFT)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MultiSync
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:41 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
18, 0, 0, DL14, Co. Durham, Cagiva Planet

Carole nash- £325 (TPO)
Qouteline 125- £323 (TPO), £423 (TPFT)

Whats the Cagvia like? top speed, price, accelleration and stuff?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long story but its not on the road yet so I don't know exactly about top speed, but someone on the internet told me that his does 105mph derestricted (hes also got an accurate digital speedo) with a 0-60 of 6.5 seconds.
I paid £1200 from a breaker's with minor damage (thats why its not on the road yet). It's getting a new front brake master cylinder on it at the moment (£115) and needed £40 worth of other parts. The rest's minor cosmetic which I can live with, like a couple of scratches and a bit of missing plastic.
I like the looks alot (not to everyone's taste)- and its good to know that a tiny crash won't destroy a few hundred quid's worth of plastic!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 19:59 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: cool Reply with quote

just the man i need to talk to then

cos i been considering the planet, the only thing putting me off is the fact that its a highly tuned 125 stroker and ive heard people saying the life of them is short before needing an engine rebuild

and also bike magazine says the "needs LOTS of TLC to keep it sweet" and that to me suggests the bike is a bit dodge

can you lay my mind to rest on any of this keen?

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they'll be much worse than any other stroker but then again its got a mito engine and mito's are (apparently) unreliable. Mine starts first time every time so far though. I dunno about how long it'll last but I'm probably just gonna run mine into the ground then get a 400 Laughing

When they say it needs alot of TLC I have to admit the build quality is what you'd expect from an italian bike- Italian Smile , but mines been badly treat so I think that makes it worse- a well looked after one is probably alot better.

Plus its got lots of shiny bits like a chrome bit on the tank and a chrome exhaust which probably won't last long unless its kept clean. These bits do look good though so I think they're worth the weekly cleaning that they'll require. You can see some pics of mine at

www.bikepics.com/members/keen/

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 20:25 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: hehe Reply with quote

damn italians eh

but then again my sr is italian and i havent found it to be too bad, lots of niggles that go wrong and piss me off but nothing to get too pissed off about

worst part is the rear seat that got ripped, now if i slide to far back in the seat, it compress the seat, and its like a sponge, it sends nasty water either down my leg or into my trousers, now thats annoying

i want my next bike to last me 3 or 4 years, so it needs to be capable of 75+ mph in my opinion, but also has to be durable and insurable

this is annoying, even though i cant afford anything for about a year, i cant stop thinking about it staring blankly into "what bike" hoping a solution will magically appear

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean- I got 'what bike' as well but it pissed me off more than anything else cos they never tell you the negative points. I only settled on the Planet cos it was a good deal. Before that I didn't know what to go for, I found every bike was a compromise between performance, reliability, looks and cost. Your probably best of trying not to worry about it too much and seeing what's up for sale nearer the time.

I mean, I found that there were only really three types of bike that I would get (after ruling out budget 4 strokes like the cg cos of their slow top speeds):

scooters- only really considered the runner, sr and DNA 180
dirt bikes- DT and KMX
Sports 125's- NSR, Planet, Mito, RG, RS, TZR.

Then after that I just bought BikeTrader every fortnight and hoped to spot a good deal. I had my heart set on a sport's 125 though.

MultiSync
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:02 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
Long story but its not on the road yet so I don't know exactly about top speed, but someone on the internet told me that his does 105mph derestricted (hes also got an accurate digital speedo) with a 0-60 of 6.5 seconds.
I paid £1200 from a breaker's with minor damage (thats why its not on the road yet). It's getting a new front brake master cylinder on it at the moment (£115) and needed £40 worth of other parts. The rest's minor cosmetic which I can live with, like a couple of scratches and a bit of missing plastic.
I like the looks alot (not to everyone's taste)- and its good to know that a tiny crash won't destroy a few hundred quid's worth of plastic!

Cool, hopefully i can get an NSR this week, new or used i aint fussed as long as its sound and hasnt done too many miles. If you let me know when u get urs on the road after that we should meet up and see how they fair up against each other Smile

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea, especially as I don't know anyone else in the area with a bike, apart from my Dad and my Brother (who's got a moped). Most of my mate's just think they're crazy. Someone I know said he might get a bike after seeing mine- but when I saw him the next day he said his mam went mental when he told her and he'd changed his mind Laughing

MultiSync
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:13 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its a shame that not as many people ride bikes up here, a m8 of mine has a Honda Rebel but moved down to Bristol before i passed my CBT and got the Sym.

The only other person i know is my uncle and hes got a Triumph 900, so cant really keep up with him on the Sym Wink Anyhoo me and my uncle are gonna scout all the bike shops tommorow, so with a bit of luck there will be at least a couple of NSRs to choose from.

Are you on the road with anythin at the mo then?

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 06 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle's got a Triumph as well (adventurer- I think that's a 900 as well), but he lives near Carlisle.
I haven't got a bike on the road, this one's my first. I've passed my restricted test though so I've had a bit of practice and I've got my car license so I've had some experience of being on the road. I've driven other bike's though- I had a little bike when I was about 7 for a while that me and my brother used to mess about on. Then when I was about 15 I spent a week at a friend of my Mam's farm in hungary and learn't how to ride a dirt bike they had, I only got up to 3rd though Smile . It's a long story but we brought a 50cc scooter back from there and sold it on for a profit, but while we waited to sell it we used to thrash it around the garden- I think it was tuned or something cos if you opened the throttle from a stand still it used to wheelie you off the back! only problem with it was it was bright pink with a pale blue foot-board!

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 20:32 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, 19, 0 claims, 0 no claims, NSR125RK (1991), with Bennets, £412. Stafford ST19.

There you go mate! Good luck with getting that web site finished.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 21:53 - 07 May 2002    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

sounds like you and me are very similar keen, there isnt anything i can do till nearer the time

but i cant stop thinking about it hehe

i have my heart set on an NSR, but all this 20K engine rebuild stuff is worrying, and all the magazines say 125's second hand may well be fucked up cos of in experienced riders

i would go for the DNA or Runner straight away, but not having gears pisses me off, i feel like im cheating, even if i pass my geared test, then get a DNA or runner, i will be lame at gear changing when i can actually afford a real bike

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:35 - 08 May 2002    Post subject: Re: yeah Reply with quote

Wild Goose wrote:

i have my heart set on an NSR, but all this 20K engine rebuild stuff is worrying, and all the magazines say 125's second hand may well be fucked up cos of in experienced riders

Basically shop carefully, and set aside a few hundred quid for a rebuild if needs be. Hopefully by that stage you will be experienced enoguh to drop the engine out yourself to keep the bill down. A scooter is likely to be just as thrashed, and with no better engine life

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1