Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Only taken two years..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 28 Dec 2006    Post subject: Only taken two years.. Reply with quote

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/bike/foghorn.jpg

The fog and the idiots this time of year inspired me to fit the fog horns again, it'll fit the other one once i wqork out where to put the fecker..

It'll be good to use them again, the pfffarp of the tired one its replaceing dosn't really get much notice..

Twisted Evil

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brings back a few memories. Way back in the early 80's my mate have a honda superdream with engine bars on it. After one to many near misses with myopic car drivers he fitted airhorns and spotlights onto the crash bars. It looked the strangest thing as it approached you in the dark, you saw the regular round headlamp, then either side at about foot height you saw these 2 incredibly bright rectangular lights. If you failed to see those then there was this deafening ffffwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img492.imageshack.us/img492/4710/dscf00223zq.jpg

Funny you should mention stupidly bright headlamps Laughing

I've been driveing about all day waiting to try the horn out and sure enough some nob pulled out in front of me on a mini roundabout (why can people not understand these?) looked like a startled animal! Laughing and according to my girlfriend i scared the crap out of some old ladys at the same time!

Can't wait to try it on some chavs walking in the middle of the road as they like to do here...

I'm looking for the connecting pipe to fit the other horn and have figured out a better mounting place Very Happy

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes me want to hide a stebel nautilus on my cg125, 140db next time someone pulls out on me lol
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
makes me want to hide a stebel nautilus on my cg125, 140db next time someone pulls out on me lol

Get one you wont regret it....Loud is not the right word, it will make your ears bleed. Plus they spin up much quicker than the ones in Mr z's pics.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

been thinking about it today, I dont think i would be able to mount one anywere on the CG and I wouldnt be able to just connect it up to the old horn wires because it needs a relay or something like that.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 18:56 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
That brings back a few memories. Way back in the early 80's my mate have a honda superdream with engine bars on it. After one to many near misses with myopic car drivers he fitted airhorns and spotlights onto the crash bars. It looked the strangest thing as it approached you in the dark, you saw the regular round headlamp, then either side at about foot height you saw these 2 incredibly bright rectangular lights. If you failed to see those then there was this deafening ffffwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp

I have no idea, butt he last bit made me lol Laughing

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:
https://img492.imageshack.us/img492/4710/dscf00223zq.jpg

Looks comfortable even on chilly windy day. I want the same cowl for my W650 in winter. Is the full cowl genuine one? I wanted to ask this question for a long time.

XR125
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:53 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome bike. I want an Airhorn on my XR125 too lol.

I tried looking your bike up in google images but couldn't find on the same - infact no where near it. That'd be an awesome bike for touring on - which I'd love to do across europe.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kawashima,

I have the name of it somewhere its was fitted in 1986, all fiberglass and its the only one ive ever seen ANYWHERE, so i'm figreing only a handfull were made or it was a very limited run from a small company out of a shed.. your best bet is trying to make a frame to fit a faring off an existing bike maybe? (this has a frame from the headstock and also frames similar to crash bars it contacts to on the sides)

It works very well, the bottom half comes off in summer as it causes all the engine heat to rise up at you (really not fun in traffic) also for maintainance..

In wind it can blow the bike arround allot, but saves on neck strain and its not nearly as cold when it gets down to 0ºc and below (allthough bar mounted farings are very very bad for windy weather, frame mounted is more predictable turbulance)

Farings are a little bit of a double edged sword, good for cold weather and highways, but a pain when you need to do any maintainance (but then it also prevented it getting stolen in the past, because you really do have to have it off to get at any wireing) i'm actually trying to work out how to make a smaller faring to fix on the existing frame to swap between in summer/winter (the associated wireing is the trouble really)

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
been thinking about it today, I dont think i would be able to mount one anywere on the CG and I wouldnt be able to just connect it up to the old horn wires because it needs a relay or something like that.

All the ones I have had have just been a direct replacement with no problems. Get the compact one though as its much smaller than the normal one and it has the same earbleeding volume. Wink

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR125 wrote:
Wow, awesome bike. I want an Airhorn on my XR125 too lol.

I tried looking your bike up in google images but couldn't find on the same - infact no where near it. That'd be an awesome bike for touring on - which I'd love to do across europe.

Its a CX500 , ended production for the UK market in '82 , his has a huge after market fairing on it though
shaft drive , 50ish bhp twin , its not bad , cept there are NO spare parts , and production stopped in 96 completely
I see them all the time , though with 400-600K on the clocks (been round a few times) , though there are
4 cheap ones in Manchester , one @ SB which is £350 insane miles but has been rebuilt every 50K , considering
the milage is reputed to be in the low 300K , its been rebuilt about 5 times.

ESB has a CX Eurosport which is similar 53K £600

Regents has an ex courier CX just like Mr Z's but white and with some huge paniers it is as wide as a
car

Queens had one too , which only did 135K , rode well

I also keep finding CX500 turbos around , which are worse than CX500s for parts , a turbo in a straight

I ride the bastard offspring of the CX , the NTV which only has one front disc is slightly lighter has a
rear disc and a cool single sided swing arm.

I dunno I don't like CXs they seem enormous and non suitable for proper proper city filtering
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There actually quite nimble when your used to them (and very hard work when your not) but once the boxes are on its not worth bothering really, it rare i need to filter, if its busy out i just go later/go another route, its certainly not the best choice for niping between traffic i agree... i'd love a turbo, but wouldn't dream of useing it more than a few times a year (cpu's were £900 WHEN they sold them still) allot to go wrong on them (which sorta defys the point a bit)

Yep the lack of spares (especially euro only bits) is a real problem, now i find myself scrating for some quite silly stuff but more often subsituteing (like the zxr750 master cylinder), i have a spare engine but when its snuffed it that'll be it, as much as it pains me i dont think i'll revisit cxvill, i'm quite sure i'll be able to keep this one on the road for a few years yet.. (mines creeping up to 30k bit over 20 when i got it, low millage ones are VERY VERY VERY rare, i was extreemly lucky)

As far as bastard lovechildren.. allthough the VT replaced it afaik (and then the deuvalle) the closest liveing relative is probably the ST/Pan europeans, there on the maybe next list Razz
Actually the euros have a rear disc (which is shite, the drum was far better Laughing thats progress eh)

Quote:

I tried looking your bike up in google images but couldn't find on the same - infact no where near it

Yep, i've looked at allot of cx's and have never seen one the same even if its nasty looking to some its defentely one of a kind, i dont think many farings same as this exist anymore, as far as i know it might be the only one Shocked

Motkram
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:45 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats a horn: https://www.metacafe.com/watch/368266/loud_horn/

GP125>GSF400>VFR400NC30>YZF600R>YZFR1(1998)+KLR250>YZFR1(2003)>CBR900RRY>YZFR1(2002)>GSXR1000K1+RGV250
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1