Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Biker sues over death crash boy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 28 Dec 2006    Post subject: Biker sues over death crash boy Reply with quote

Biker sues over death crash boy
A motorcyclist who killed a 12-year-old boy is claiming compensation for the injuries he suffered in the accident.
Antony Young, 37, of Chipping Sodbury, South Gloucestershire, lodged his claim with the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

His lawyers argue the boy committed a "violent act" by deliberately running into the road while playing chicken.

If the claim is successful the CICA could face claims from people seriously hurt because of others "negligence".

Andrew Campbell, a personal injury lawyer representing Mr Young, said he believed it was the first time a person had attempted to claim compensation from the CICA for injuries sustained as a result of an accident in which the "guilty" party had died.

No blame

Mr Young had been riding his motorcycle along the A4174 dual carriageway in Longwell Green, near Bristol, when the accident happened.

Robert Davis and a group of boys had been daring each other to run across the busy road on 8 April 2006.

He had started to run across the carriageway as a van approached, but failed to spot it was being overtaken by the Suzuki.

Mr Young was unable to avoid colliding with the child, and the bike hit him full in the chest.

Robert died from multiple injuries three days later.

The biker, who was riding at less than 50mph in a 70mph zone, suffered six broken ribs, a punctured lung, a bruised heart, a shoulder injury and ongoing psychological trauma as a result of the accident.

At Robert's inquest in August a verdict of accidental death was recorded by coroner Brian Whitehouse who said he was "completely satisfied that no blame whatsoever" could be attributed to the motorcyclist.

Mr Young was initially told he could not pursue a claim for compensation because he could not sue a dead person.

But his lawyers believe they can now argue that Robert was "negligent" in his actions because he knowingly took a risk, which ultimately left the biker seriously injured.

They will claim Robert's actions amounted to violence and Mr Young can be compensated as a victim of a violent crime.

Robert's family were unavailable for comment.

The CICA receive around 65,000 applications for compensation each year and pay out nearly £200 million annually.

Story from BBC NEWS:

gavin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 28 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure there will be some outcry over this in the press, but its entirely fair imho.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 28 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as above^^ i'm afraid.

Mozzer
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:57 - 28 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree, as horrible as it seems, it is totally fair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 28 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the kid purposely caused it to happen he or his estate should pay for the damage caused.

bin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:38 - 28 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he should put a claim in but will he get any compensation....

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what estate. even if this guy does win the case. what estate does a 15 year old lad have? and you cant expect the parents too pay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

olionel
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:33 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1930 Ariel wrote:
I agree, the kid purposely caused it to happen he or his estate should pay for the damage caused.

i dont think the kid purposely thought "Oooo Id run in to that biker, then die, and also give him serious injuries"... yes it was stupid what they were playing, I dont disagree, but I dont think he thought hed get himself killed and cause an accident...problem is he wasnt bright enough to think that he could cause an accident...
I think its just the claims lawyers pushing it really... its a bit harsh claiming for injuries though...Although its not the riders fault.. but still theres a kids death involved... and itd be just inhumane to claim from the parents... ah wel... thats just my opinion... lawyers just trying to make an extra bob or two I guess...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gavin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the article properly! its the CICA setting the amount and paying the compensation, not the parents or their estate.

more info here

https://www.cica.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=115,65157&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should be entitled to damages based on loss of earnings, medical cover and replacement equipment etc. No money should be provided for profit though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MouseDog
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:17 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenton wrote:
what estate. even if this guy does win the case. what estate does a 15 year old lad have? and you cant expect the parents too pay.

I think the parents should be held accountable for the actions of their under age kids, it is their responsibility to look after their kids.

If they were responsible parents which cared for their children, they should have made sure the kids don't play chicken on a highway.

Born2bVile
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:22 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

m99dws wrote:
He should be entitled to damages based on loss of earnings, medical cover and replacement equipment etc. No money should be provided for profit though.

That's the basis of all compensation claims. 'Profit' is not a legitimate claim.

Cheers,

Byrnie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MouseDog wrote:
I think the parents should be held accountable for the actions of their under age kids, it is their responsibility to look after their kids.

If they were responsible parents which cared for their children, they should have made sure the kids don't play chicken on a highway.

I dont think the parents should be held responsible.

I am not a parent, but how on gods green earth are you going to prevent this from occurring you cant watch a 12 year old boy 24/7. Especially if they are out playing with their friends, what are supposed to do, play with them?

But I hope he gets the compensation as I feel he was not at fault. I know I would if I had those injuries.

MouseDog
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying they must should have watched him 24/7, but he should have been taught from a you age that a road is not a place to play in, if they did that properly, the boy would still have been alive, so in that point of view I think the parents should be charged with culpable homoside as well as paying for the victim's damages

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah teach your children I agree. But when you were a kid how many times did you listen to your parents! I know I did not listen to them all the time, that is what being a kid is all about, having fun and I expect they thought they were having fun until that happened. But of course we will never know if they did teach him, I expect they did.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:13 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Most people probably do have insurance to cover their own or their kids stupidity. Household insurance cover often includes it (often cited by cyclists to say they actually do have insurance).

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

olionel wrote:
and itd be just inhumane to claim from the parents... ah wel... thats just my opinion... lawyers just trying to make an extra bob or two I guess...

how archanic are you? , the modern world is dog eat dog , people will step on you a crush you to get even the smallest advantage over you.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Sherry
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:40 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but how can you possibly say that it's the parents fault that their children were playing 'chicken' on a busy road.

I happen to be a parent of a 15yr old and do everything i can to instill in her what this is right and what is wrong.

I've had children step out in front of me whilst i was going about my business. It has happened so many times that i've lost count!!

Yes, some were trying to play chicken but i never once thought "Bloody hell, their parents are the one's to blame!!"

I feel so bad for the parties involved in this horrific accident Crying or Very sad Things like this should never happen but when my daughter goes out with her friends, i never tell her "if you see a car, play chicken with them cause damn it's fun!!"

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherry wrote:
I'm sorry but how can you possibly say that it's the parents fault that their children were playing 'chicken' on a busy road.

I happen to be a parent of a 15yr old and do everything i can to instill in her what this is right and what is wrong.

Yes, some were trying to play chicken but i never once thought "Bloody hell, their parents are the one's to blame!!"

Thank you Sherry I thought I was the only one who was thinking this! Thumbs Up

Sherry
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:09 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bishbash,

At least there are a few people who think sensibly and you don't even have to be a parent to understand that!!

How many times have you heard "Why did you jump out infront of that vehicle and on such a busy road??"

"Cause my parents told me to....."

ken
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m really quite undecided on this topic, for one I don’t think its fair that the parents might have to pay compensation out, the loss they must feel about losing there 12 year old son, would bare a huge amount of pain as it would for any parent, and I also don't think its there fault.
However the motorcyclist should not have to stand the cost of repairs, loss of earnings, and also his psychological (think that’s how you spell it) damage at accidentally killing someone, especially someone that was so young,

I don’t think there is any definitive answer to this dilemma

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 16:46 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken wrote:
However the motorcyclist should not have to stand the cost of repairs, loss of earnings, and also his psychological damage

That is why the claim is going to the CICA rather than against the parents. There is currently no suggestions whatsoever that the parents would have to bare the cost of the claim.

At 12 a child knows the dangers of running out onto a busy road. They also would know that they shouldn't be there. Had someone dumped an inanimate object in the road, such as a stuffed goat (for want of a marginally comic imagine in this tragic example) then the injuries and losses to the motorcyclist would be rewarded without the hooha in the press and without debate. I imagine there would also be an investigation to find the (clearly amateur) taxidermist who placed the inert goat in the middle of a carriageway in order to reprimand them. Because this child, sadly, placed himself in the carriageway and was killed as a result (and this reprimanded) the press have taken a different light on it and seem to be portraying this as some kind of exceptional claim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bikerbanditz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:07 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, I hope the bloke gets a shitload of cash. What a twat that kid was for playing chicken. I probably deserved it anyways.
Banditz.

ken
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella,
well put Thumbs Up oh and Embarassed missed read, its been a long day at work

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 29 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:

At 12 a child knows the dangers of running out onto a busy road. They also would know that they shouldn't be there. Had someone dumped an inanimate object in the road, such as a stuffed goat (for want of a marginally comic imagine in this tragic example) then the injuries and losses to the motorcyclist would be rewarded without the hooha in the press and without debate. I imagine there would also be an investigation to find the (clearly amateur) taxidermist who placed the inert goat in the middle of a carriageway in order to reprimand them. Because this child, sadly, placed himself in the carriageway and was killed as a result (and this reprimanded) the press have taken a different light on it and seem to be portraying this as some kind of exceptional claim.

In sight of the 'exceptional claim'.....It is an exceptional claim...Tell me, how often do you hear a kid being killed by a motorcyclist by playing chicken on a duel carriageway and then the MC trying to claim for his loss?

and also, WTF was all that goat talk about! Confused Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3