Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone had a Stomach Ulcer?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 17:35 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Anyone had a Stomach Ulcer? Reply with quote

some people may remember my thread about coke a while back, which was brought on by similar abdominal/stomach pain... the pain went away after a course of antacid type pills, but came back with a vengeance last saturday, worse than before. been referred for an endoscopy to try and work out what is wrong, as none of the doctors seem 100% sure, might be a stomach ulcer, might not

been precribed various painkillers, over the time, mainly due to most of them not having any effect whatsoever on the pain, the latest one ive been given is codeine, which seems to take the edge of it, but really isnt as effective as i would like, particularly not enough to make me feel like i could cope with a day of lifting and shifting heavy bags at work

i was wondering if anyone has suffered from similar pains? and if so what were you given to help control the pain? and how well did it work?

any points appreciated, thanks
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolonged use of painkillers caused my brother to get the lining of his stomach to become inflamed, bleeding and cause loads of vomitting. No painkillers and a 'bland' diet sorted it out over the space of a couple of months.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:14 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, a possible diagnosis that has been made rather ironically is that excessive use of headache type painkillers, aspirin and nurofen might be the cause of this Rolling Eyes

if and when this ever recovers, i think i will knock pills on the head

my problem at the moment though is that the pain is really bad, and im struggling to cope with it, let alone be able to do anything normal, and i cant be off work for too long as will start running short on money
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 18:46 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose... get to the doctors and ask him/her for OMEPRAZOLE - fantastic things.. they reduce the production of acid in the stomach and eases it for a few days.. (usually about 3)
Wonderful things - good for people who suffer badly with acid indigestion too Wink Thumbs Up

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:57 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

they /were/ good for me last time, thats what they prescribed and it seemed to sort the problem

however, this time they seem to have done next to bugger all, so they have put me on lanzoprazole, which are another brand of proton pump inhibitors that do the same thing

still dont seem to help much with the pain, contribute more towards the healing process perhaps by reducing the acid

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozzypop1 wrote:
Goose... get to the doctors and ask him/her for OMEPRAZOLE - fantastic things..

Or just go to boots and get Ranitidine 150mg (zantac) and take twice daily Wink

Omperazole 40 mg(loasec) and Lansoprazole 30mg (zoton)are good and certainly used as much as Ranitidine, but you can get zantac over the counter Thumbs Up

This is wihy it is important that if you take aspirin based pain killers or ones that contain ibuprofen you take them after food and on a full stomach. If you have nt eaten, then take them with milk.

Prolonged use of these non steriodal anti inflammatories (NSAIDs) will cause gastric irritation and gastric muscousal damage that may lead to an ulcer.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
however, this time they seem to have done next to bugger all, so they have put me on lanzoprazole, which are another brand of proton pump inhibitors that do the same thing

PPIs must be taken on an empty stomach around 30 minutes before food to be effective Thumbs Up

shonajoy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:05 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stomach ulcers can be caused by hecilobacter pylorii(sp?) and can be cured by a course of spcific antibiotics-have they ruled this out?

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

shonajoy wrote:
Some stomach ulcers can be caused by hecilobacter pylorii(sp?) and can be cured by a course of spcific antibiotics-have they ruled this out?

This would only be determined by taking a biopsy during a gastroscopy, its abit invasive and certainly not plleasent, drugs will be the 1st line.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 19:16 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

the blood tests showed no trace of the H Pylori, so that rules that out, but apparently not all stomach ulcers are caused by this Confused i was hoping that it came back showing evidence of H pylori, as that would mean a simple course of anti biotics to sort it

now ive gotta wait god knows how long for an endoscope appointment, which doesnt sound pleasant

shonajoy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:30 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should give you a pre md or diazepam before it-say you are very nervous about it, even if you aren't, and they should make sure you are out of it.

Good luck.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Quote:

the blood tests showed no trace of the H Pylori, so that rules that out, but apparently not all stomach ulcers are caused by this Confused i was hoping that it came back showing evidence of H pylori, as that would mean a simple course of anti biotics to sort it

now ive gotta wait god knows how long for an endoscope appointment, which doesnt sound pleasant

The treamtent is usually a 7 day course of

Arrow antibiotics (twice a day)
Arrow PPI like losec (once a day)
Arrow PPI like zoton (twice a day)

For an OGD you will have to be referred to the gastro team if needed.

An OGD is not a pleasent investigation, you can have a sedative(midazolam, similar to the date rape drug, and you will not be able to ride / drive home) but you will have to be awake enough to swallow an endoscope the size of your middle finger.

You will then have to lay there awake, with someone pushing this scope (severeal feet long) in and out of your mouth. You will have a mouth guard in place to stop biting the scope and damaging your teeth. A nurse will be responible for your airway and suction the copious amounts of saliva.

It will only take 20 minutes and they should be able to assess the mucosal lining for any irritations. If they spot a bleed then they can inject it with adrenaline to stop it.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

shonajoy wrote:
and they should make sure you are out of it.

Good luck.

Its your choice, many people refuse the sedative as they want to drive home straight away and not lay there snoring for a couple of hours.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Quote:

Not all ulcers are, but the vast majority, are caused by the H Pylori bacteria. I had a nasty pain/stabbing a few weeks ago. I beared it for a week and was going to book a doctors appointment, but it went away and hasn't really troubled me since. A stomach ulcer is hardly going to kill me, so if it's laying dorment I'll let it stay there.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
A stomach ulcer is hardly going to kill me

Oh contrair Wink

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:58 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

No experience of ulcers,so cannot help there. However:-

WildGoose wrote:

Had one about a year ago. They gave me some spray to numb the back of my throat and then sent the camera down. I didn't have any happy juice or major anaesthetic. It was not painful (and I am a wuss, so beleive me it really was not painful at all). It is not pleasant, but more because it is just unsettling. Didn't take long at all.

All the best

Keith

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
they gave me some spray

Lidocaine Wink

All those peeps that have had there tongue pierced will have had this sprayed on there tongue too.

It supposedly tastes of bananas?

It numbs and relaxes the throat and allows you to do an impression of Deep Throat.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter-in-law is under medical supervision for suspected stomach ulcer(s). She's been on antacids and painkillers already, and awaiting an endoscopy appointment.

Not sure how effective the bland diet is, cos she's hardly able to eat anything as it is. I'm just hoping that the medical intervention will show up some results soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:
Not sure how effective the bland diet is, cos she's hardly able to eat anything as it is. I'm just hoping that the medical intervention will show up some results soon.

Its a catch 22.

The stomach produces acid when you are about to eat food (Pavlos dogs) in preperation for the need to break down the ingested food.

However, acid is always being produced in small amounts keeping the stomach pH less than 3, so even though you may not be eating as food irritates and causes you pain, by not eating you are doing as much damage if not more.

The presence of food in the stomach will act as a slight barrier, by having an empty stomach, the hydrochloric acid will be in close proximity to the damaged gastric linning and produce more irritation.

PPI's are the best defense.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 22:19 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you seem to know a fair bit, tis helpful, you a pharmacist or something? if you dont mind my asking

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
you seem to know a fair bit, tis helpful, you a pharmacist or something? if you dont mind my asking

https://pa12ick.net/crzegrl/B0000296SI.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg

You have to know what you're giving out Wink

Pte1643
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:25 - 31 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

shonajoy wrote:

I've had this course of drugs (for HP), made me feel like shit. Sick

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:24 - 31 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pte1643 wrote:

You would probably have been prescribed metronidazole or tinidazole as part of the triple therapy regime for H.Pylori. It leaves an unplesant taste in the mouth all day long, and has a similar effect to antabuse if you consume anything alcoholic while on treatment.

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:35 - 01 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

who'sthedaddy....

I have to ask how long ago the procedure you describe took place? It's very off putting and not at all what I experienced?!

Had mine few years ago and was sedated, was not awake to swallow tube (having ripped camera out and punched doctor whilst they tried to do it awake, against my wishes.......just a reaction and the guy who did it was a tosser and very nasty).

I dont remember a thing about it and didnt feel dozy at all afterwards? I have few vague memories about the procedure but nothing really concrete that I remember about it?

Pte1643
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:42 - 01 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrml76 wrote:
Pte1643 wrote:

You would probably have been prescribed metronidazole or tinidazole as part of the triple therapy regime for H.Pylori. It leaves an unplesant taste in the mouth all day long, and has a similar effect to antabuse if you consume anything alcoholic while on treatment.

TBH I can't remember the actual drugs, it was a couple of years ago now. But the Doc said that the side effects were extreme nausea... Sad
Boy, was he ever right. Sick
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2