Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

novice questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Major_Grooves

PostPosted: 20:51 - 08 May 2002    Post subject: novice questions Reply with quote

Hi,

I've never ridden a bike before, and don't have a clue about them, but to solve my transport crisis, I
was thinking about getting a bike. I can't afford to go for an
unrestricted licence, so what 125 would you recommend for someone who
has just done the CBT? It would be mainly for getting to work, but I
also like travelling so my second question is: Am I kidding myself in
thinking I could travel distances on a 125(getting restricted licence)
e.g. travelling to the Netherlands, Germany etc.? Would I burn up too
much fuel/bike bits?

all comments appreciated

thanks

-Steve
You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 22:05 - 08 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ex-racer friend (too old to do it now) used to go with his wife round holland on holiday on a honda CG125 and we all know how slow etc they are but he had no problems taking it abroad and with a wife and luggage onboard, wasent fast though, CG only does like 65 normally and i'd say he got about 45 out of it tops with his wife but he said it was great.

MultiSync
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:05 - 08 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can drive anything upto 14bhp on the provisional.

This means that bikes like the Honda NSR125 and the Apillia RS125 would be ok, as they are restricted to around 12bhp.

I wouldnt want to travel to another country on a 125, for that id want at least a 400 between my legs, i think it may be pushing a 125 a bit far.

If your wanting mainly to commute it may be worth you getting a Scooter, however like me you may come to regret that when you come to take your test.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 22:08 - 08 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont need a scoot to commute. i happily do it on my nsr, and my mate uses his 250 hornet.

MultiSync
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:10 - 08 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt mean you need a scoot to communte (that rhymes by the way Wink ) it may be a cheaper option for him.

Ill be commuting on my NSR when i get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:07 - 09 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think the AA and RAC will only cover bikes over a certain CC for riding abroad, and that excludes 125's. Also not sure on the situation with riding abroad on a provisional licence. Mind you when I lived in Portsmouth I saw a load of French kids one weekend on little mopeds with no licence plates (not sure about helmets, cannot rememeber)

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PostPosted: 17:42 - 09 May 2002    Post subject: insurance Reply with quote

The price of the bike I can probably afford, but the insurance seems quite steep. So far the couple of quick quotes I've done have been around #1000 for 3rd fire and theft! Is this normal? (I'm 22)

zaknafien

PostPosted: 17:44 - 09 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a cg? im gettin 600 for me NSR

MultiSync
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:53 - 09 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna cost me £500 to insure a brand new NSR TPFT at a value of £3500, thats with 2 years no claims though.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 17:56 - 09 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

im currently paying 600 quid for TPFT 0 NCB for a 1991 NSRRK valued at 1.5k

Major_Grooves

PostPosted: 14:01 - 10 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay more stupid questions...

I have never bought any vehicle before, so... if you buy a private bike, can you just ride it away that day? What about transferring ownership details to DVLA, and more importantly, what do you do about insurance there and then? Laughing

MultiSync
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:04 - 10 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is the insurance covernote, however if your buying privatly you can probably get away with that as long as you dont get pulled.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 10 May 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

with ownership details your supposed to get the last owner to sign a section of the log book, so maybe ask him before you leave- but I just left that bit blank on mine and they changed it to my name anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 357 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1