Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mini moto warning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:46 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Mini moto warning Reply with quote

Here's what could happen with your mini moto of caught on public roads

https://www.staffordshire.police.uk/news/2006/06_jun/13_smallest.htm

Most of these offences could result in the rider receiving points on their licence for moving traffic offences, even those to young to hold a driving licence can get points which could be automatically applied to their provisional driving licences when they later apply for them. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

weh hay, bout time they clamp down n the liddle bistads.

can you imagine a cop on a 'small motorcycle'(mini moto, or moped??) Laughing

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

This is the bit that pisses me off.

<<The police regularly use the force helicopter ‘Air One’ to track the riders back to their homes or to direct local neighbourhood officers to intercept the riders as this is one of the safest and most effective ways of identifying those involved.>>

They can play all day with the police helicopter, which we pay for, to catch kids on bikes. Yet the air ambulance has to be funded by charity. Nice one - that really does a lot for police respect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:42 - 03 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive come close to hitting these little bastards a few times, especially at night when they dart across the road.

Of course then it would be my fault.

Just a thought, would an offence on one of these count as a motorcycle incident for statistical purposes?

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 03 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have talked with the cops about this (part of my job means I work with the police). The problem is that they dare not try and chase the users on the road, 12 year old kids with no road sense, fear and helmet tend to die if persued.
Use of the chopper may seem excessive but it works and yes, the air ambulance needs public funding

zaknafien

PostPosted: 14:19 - 03 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

1930 Ariel wrote:
12 year old kids with no road sense, fear and helmet tend to die if persued.

Darwin. Thumbs Up

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 03 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
12 year old kids with no road sense, fear and helmet tend to die if persued.

can i ask what the issue is with that?
would that result be soooo bad?

less of them to write us of, and gro up to breed more of the lidl shets.

oh, and if they didn't make it from being knocked of by some lucky git who got his aim right in a car, they wouldn't need to use police chopper and could fund the air ambulance with the dosh instead.
Result Thumbs Up

Edit, SP mistake Embarassed Laughing

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:15 - 03 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how it should be:

Police officer - "Where's your crash helmet? Can I see your proof of motor vehicle registration, proof of insurance? Where's your road tax?

Chav - "But officer, i'm bleeding! I think my shoulder's broke! Aaaarhh! My head hurts, & i've lost some teeth!"

Police officer - "I'm afraid i'm gonna have to confiscate your bike, sonny"

Chav - "Call an ambulance!"

Police Officer - "Can you afford to pay for the ambulance"

Chav - "No"

Police officer - "You should have thought about that before you decided to take your bike on public roads illegally. Here's your Anti Social Behaviour Order". Now move along beffore I do you for loitering as well. (Feckin chavs! Just increased my insurance premium again)"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these (minimoto), but I keep it on the drive. There's enough space there for a track with hairpins and chicanes - my friends and I have a lot of fun trying to beat each other's lap times! Of course, a helmet is always worn as I don't fancy my face impacting the bricks anytime soon.

If my friends and I can have fun without using a public road/space, then why can't these troublesome youths do the same?

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:32 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, most people don't have large forecourts or gardens or even have access to anywhere like that that's not public land.

One of the best idea's I reckon is for Go Kart centre's to have day/sevenings just for mini moto's. That way people can enjoy them in a safe and controlled environment and can get (hopefully) advice on how to look after their "toys" i.e. how to maintain them and also advised to NOT take them on public roads a it's dangerous to do so (and where they're likely to be confiscated by the boys in blue).

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:33 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, most people don't have large forecourts or gardens or even have access to anywhere like that that's not public land.

One of the best idea I reckon is for Go Kart centre's to have day/sevenings just for mini moto's. That way people can enjoy them in a safe and controlled environment and can get (hopefully) advice on how to look after their "toys" i.e. how to maintain them and also advised to NOT take them on public roads a it's dangerous to do so (and where they're likely to be confiscated by the boys in blue).

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:54 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomski_w wrote:

One of the best idea I reckon is for Go Kart centre's to have day/sevenings just for mini moto's. That way people can enjoy them in a safe and controlled environment and can get (hopefully) advice on how to look after their "toys" i.e. how to maintain them and also advised to NOT take them on public roads a it's dangerous to do so (and where they're likely to be confiscated by the boys in blue).

Yeah would be good........ but....... most of the mini bikes that are causing the touble are owned by chav's and there not going to be bothered about going off to some little track. Part of the fun for them is getting chased by the police.

superstacker wrote:
Just a thought, would an offence on one of these count as a motorcycle incident for statistical purposes?

I think they do but I'm not 100% sure.

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:27 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how mini moto's should be used!! Thumbs Up Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-bfF_2o73w&NR

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomski_w wrote:
This is how mini moto's should be used!! Thumbs Up Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-bfF_2o73w&NR

hahaha... class.

although those kids actually ride better than I do. Embarassed
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmeh wrote:
although those kids actually ride better than I do. Embarassed

Its funny how when you are little you have no fear, its only when you get older that you start to use your brain and think 'this may hurt' Laughing

Minimoto racing looks a laugh Thumbs Up

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/homemade-minimoto-with-flamer-mini-moto-160cc-look_W0QQitemZ110072554006QQihZ001QQcategoryZ101712QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

oh... just watch me kill myself on that!! Smile

Laughing

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

half motuntain bike, half 'somethings', lawnmower!

I dont have a problem with people on those mimi motos round me..... i do want one tho... i wouldn't have anywhere to ride it tho so probably not a good idea to waste money on one! Neutral

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBurrows88 wrote:
I dont have a problem with people on those mimi motos round me..... i do want one tho... i wouldn't have anywhere to ride it tho so probably not a good idea to waste money on one! Neutral

Thumbs Up

Tom C RX50
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:03 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh what a topic!! I live down on the Isle Of Wight and well mini motos have been the talk down here for some time.

When the bikes first got popular a small club was formed on the island, the Isle Of Wight council allowed the club to use some tennis courts for 3 hours or so on a sunday for race meets etc. The club fundraised and paid for the courts to be resurfaced for safety reasons etc and it got rather popular.

The club got a lot bigger as more people got into the craze and eventually the council decided, funilly enough after their courts had been resurfaced, that the club was no longer allowed to use the courts.

The mini moto club then managed to get hold of the one and only go kart track over here for a once a week race meet, absolute success, hundreds of people, races, leagues, kids to adults, amazing, then yes you guessed it, people complained about the noise and the go kart track got closed down.

So The island went from having a huge mini moto club having track meets and a league to nothing in a few months. Everyone was then left with mini motos and no club.

Isle of Wight and hampshire constabulary decided to bring in a new law and all mini motos were banned, if you were caught on one you got banned from driving or points, bike confiscated and fines etc, all of which friends of mine have had, a mate got caught riding along a footpath and got banned for 6 months and the bike taken etc, something like 1000 mini motos have now been taken and crushes on the island. This story is rather old now, The isle of wight has been ahead for once and this law and rubbish will soon follow to the ''mainland''

The joys of the police, TC
**FOR SALE** Aprilia RX50, full system gianelli exhaust, 70cc MK big bore, MK pro race filter, 20mm Dellorto carb, aftermarket sticker set, small plate, carbon look indicators, new rear tyre, years tax and mot, new chain and sprockets, very fast bike. 1200 ono **FOR SALE**

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:29 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

"a mate got caught riding along a footpath and got banned for 6 months and the bike taken "

You want me to feel sorry for him or somthing? Should I give a shit about the creeps that ride in the road here trying to get me to race them through rush hour traffic? Every mini moto crushed is potentualy a child who's life is saved.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 13:33 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"a mate got caught riding along a footpath and got banned for 6 months and the bike taken "

You want me to feel sorry for him or somthing? Should I give a shit about the creeps that ride in the road here trying to get me to race them through rush hour traffic? Every mini moto crushed is potentualy a child who's life is saved.

Generally it's children who are riding them illegally, and you've completely missed the point of that post.

The local council have forced them into public area's by closing down venues which were by the sounds of it being used reponsibly. This doesnt mean using them on pavements is right, it certainly means that the council are a large part of the problem.

Part of the "stick" society the government now places the population under. Having a stick without a carrot will force people into doing things which they wouldnt normally do.

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:07 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the required critereria for mini moto riding on public roads

Valid Driving Licence and Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) Certificate.
Insurance
Tax, displaying Vehicle Excise Disc (Tax Disc)
Registration plate
MOT (if over 3 years old)
Must have 'type approval' (the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Scheme (MSVA) is a pre-registration scheme for motorcycles, three-wheeled and light four-wheeled vehicles that have not been type-approved to European standards. The main purpose of this scheme is to ensure that these vehicles have been designed and constructed to modern safety and environmental standards before they can be used on public roads).
Approved exhaust system if used on road.
Helmet - (if visor/goggles (eye protectors) used must comply with regulations (for safety))

Possible offences if Ridden in a Public Place ...
Riding without a licence
Riding without valid insurance
Riding without valid MOT
Not displaying valid Vehicle Excise licence
Other possible charges:
Driving without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road. 'Section 3 Road traffic Act 1988'
or

Without lawful authority driving a motor vehicle on to or upon any common land, moorland or land of any description, not being land forming part of a road, or on any road being a footpath or bridleway.
If the vehicle is being used in an anti social manner the vehicle will be seized under Section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002 - before seizing the vehicle the officer must first warn the rider/owner about their anti-social behaviour.

Cost of seizing the vehicle, to the owner - £105 removal fee, £12 per day/part day storage, £50 disposal - this fee must be paid even if the vehicle is not collected.

In addition to the rider committing offences (using - an absolute offence), the parents can be brought before a Court for causing, or permitting the offence. Aid, abet, counsels or procures the commission of an offence can also be used.

https://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/crimereduct/45.html

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomski_w wrote:
Here's the required critereria for mini moto riding on public roads

Valid Driving Licence and Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) Certificate.
Insurance
Tax, displaying Vehicle Excise Disc (Tax Disc)
Registration plate
MOT (if over 3 years old)
Must have 'type approval' (the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Scheme (MSVA) is a pre-registration scheme for motorcycles, three-wheeled and light four-wheeled vehicles that have not been type-approved to European standards. The main purpose of this scheme is to ensure that these vehicles have been designed and constructed to modern safety and environmental standards before they can be used on public roads).
Approved exhaust system if used on road.
Helmet - (if visor/goggles (eye protectors) used must comply with regulations (for safety))

What fails the minimoto at the 1st hurdleis that it has:

Arrow no headlamps or brake light
Arrow indicators
Arrow horn

A midimoto has the aforementioned items and could be registered as road legal Thinking

However, to register a bike you have to have a VIN number, and I'm not sure whether the small frames have numbers punched on them, so it will make it impossible to insure for registration and hence remain road illegal.

I have seen a thumpster type pit bike on eBay that has the V forms / and Certificate of Conformity needed for DVLA registration. You could always just get the bike SVA tested if you dont ave the Certificate of Conformity Wink Thumbs Up

Welsh Al
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:15 - 08 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a story on the BBC a while ago about a kid going 20 yards down a pavement on one to take it to his mate's house. The Police stopped him, prosecuted him and crushed the bike.

Perhaps the greatest problem is that there should be more human officers on the streets, developping a relationship with the community so that everyone knows what's what?.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 08 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welsh Al wrote:
There was a story on the BBC a while ago about a kid going 20 yards down a pavement on one to take it to his mate's house. The Police stopped him, prosecuted him and crushed the bike.

Why did nt he just push it or carry it for such a short distance Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2