Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lights: bayonet to screw cap?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Lights: bayonet to screw cap? Reply with quote

All my light fittings are for bayonet bulbs. Can they be changed to screw caps? If so, can I give it a go myself or is it a job for an electrician? Also, what kind of shop would have the fittings, B&Q?

Thanks!

Resurrection
Ballast Boy

PostPosted: 17:51 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&Q is a good a place to start as any!

The monkeys they employ can SOMETIMES be helpfull.

Your more likely to get some decent and unbiased advise in a smaller hardware shop.

HTH

Res

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 18:14 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you prefer screw caps, might i ask?

Light bulbs are about a quid each, so i can see the offer of freebys working out cheaper then the cost of converting them all...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:15 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: Lights: bayonet to screw cap? Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
All my light fittings are for bayonet bulbs. Can they be changed to screw caps? If so, can I give it a go myself or is it a job for an electrician? Also, what kind of shop would have the fittings, B&Q?

Firstly... Why would you want to?

Secondly... Replacing current electrical fittings is still allowed as a DIY job.
Your not allowed anymore, however, to fit "New Installations".

Third... Yes B&Q (or any of the large DIY stores) will have the fittings.

It's an easy job so shouldn't be any worries there, unless your really un-confident (is that a word?) when it comes to DIY.

Resurrection wrote:
B&Q is a good a place to start as any!

The monkeys they employ can SOMETIMES be helpfull.

I see a bit on the news last night about a bloke who went for an interview for a job as a B&Q van driver.
Part of the interview was that he had to do a "Song and Dance" routine, to prove he had the right mental attitude. Laughing

I think the story may have been on the local (Anglia) news (Can't remember). Anybody else see it?

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 18:17 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what fittings you have in your house that you want to change, then again why bother changing Confused
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to change them because I'm struggling to change bayonet bulbs with just one hand (without breaking them in my hand when I squeeze too hard; yes, that hurt and caused a trip to the A&E). I'm used to screw tops and can change those with just one hand.

I have ridiculously high ceilings and the lampshades (big round snowballs) don't allow easy (or any) access from the top, especially when combined with high ceilings, short person and no ceiling clearance.

Because of the electrics in this house, I keep having to replace them fairly often, and it's just a bit dangerous for me.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 18:53 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
I want to change them because I'm struggling to change bayonet bulbs with just one hand (without breaking them in my hand when I squeeze too hard; yes, that hurt and caused a trip to the A&E). I'm used to screw tops and can change those with just one hand.

I have ridiculously high ceilings and the lampshades (big round snowballs) don't allow easy (or any) access from the top, especially when combined with high ceilings, short person and no ceiling clearance.

Because of the electrics in this house, I keep having to replace them fairly often, and it's just a bit dangerous for me.

Fair point. I suggest you invest in a large bored man.

Secretly we actually loving changing lightbulbs Wink
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:05 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you get some energy savers, then you wont have to keep replacing them.

At least bayonets don't keep unscrewing themselves.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:32 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the full story, but why are you only using 1 hand? cna't you use both? as i say, if theres a reason why you can't I apologise as I didn't know and didn't notice you say anything about it in your post here...

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I can't get both hands into the snowball to change the bulb due to a narrow opening, nor can I get there from the above, as there's no access and/or it's too high, so I need to do it blind and with just one hand. Sad

scoota bk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:57 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're struggling to change the bulbs due to the light's location then you're gonna find it even more difficult changing the fittings!

As said above, get some energy savers, morrisons had them for 50p each before. Then get a friend with ladders etc to get up there and change them all. The bulbs won't need changing for a good few years, they last from 6000hours upwards depending on what make etc you go for

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:00 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
Because I can't get both hands into the snowball to change the bulb due to a narrow opening, nor can I get there from the above, as there's no access and/or it's too high, so I need to do it blind and with just one hand. Sad

I can't understand how it'll be hard to change that lightbulb, can you post a picture of the "snowball" so I can see what it's like? If it's what I think it is, then its easy to change the bulb Confused

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 23:01 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I suggest you get some energy savers, then you wont have to keep replacing them.

there also easyer to fit than normal buld type lamps as there long and squareish.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Syx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:07 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the original question, it's a simple task. Don't bother with an electrician - it'll cost you the earth for something you can do yourself.

The white (usually) connector is what needs changing. Get down to a DIY place and buy the screw-cap type. Then come home, and get a ladder out.
Remove the shade. Unscrew (by hand) the white (again, usually) cover where the cable comes down from the ceiling and meets the connector. Note: I don't mean the bit ON the ceiling, I mean the bit on the end of the wire! Inside are two wires, live and neutral. Unscrew the clamps and remove them. Take the old fitting and put it aside. Look at the connections for the new fitting, and attach accordingly. Refit shade.
Repeat for other lights.

When done, stick the lot of the old connections on eBay - you might make some money back.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 04:34 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syx wrote:
To answer the original question, it's a simple task. Don't bother with an electrician - it'll cost you the earth for something you can do yourself.

The white (usually) connector is what needs changing. Get down to a DIY place and buy the screw-cap type. Then come home, and get a ladder out.
Remove the shade. Unscrew (by hand) the white (again, usually) cover where the cable comes down from the ceiling and meets the connector. Note: I don't mean the bit ON the ceiling, I mean the bit on the end of the wire! Inside are two wires, live and neutral. Unscrew the clamps and remove them. Take the old fitting and put it aside. Look at the connections for the new fitting, and attach accordingly. Refit shade.
Repeat for other lights.

When done, stick the lot of the old connections on eBay - you might make some money back.

FFS, SAFE ISOLATION OF THE SUPPLY BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING!!!! if you,re going to give advice on electrics know what your taking about and include in the first sentence the proper method of isolation or you are going to get people killed. Rolling Eyes

Pte1643
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:38 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syx wrote:
Look at the connections for the new fitting, and attach accordingly.

Confused

There's NO need to wire a lamp holder with the correct polarity.

They're "ac" and they're lightbulbs. Rolling Eyes

tatters wrote:
FFS, SAFE ISOLATION OF THE SUPPLY BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!

Very true, but usually, if your just changing the lamp holder, then making sure the lightswitch is off is good enough. A good idea is to turn it off then use some tape to hold it, this way it will alert others around not to turn it on (or at least question why the tape is on there).

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:19 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pte1643 wrote:
Very true, but usually, if your just changing the lamp holder, then making sure the lightswitch is off is good enough. A good idea is to turn it off then use some tape to hold it, this way it will alert others around not to turn it on (or at least question why the tape is on there).

I'd not risk it.. if the switch is on the neutral and not live side of the light circuit, it'll still function as a switch perfectly well, but when the light's out, the holder will still be live.

a

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:25 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pte1643 wrote:

There's NO need to wire a lamp holder with the correct polarity.

They're "ac" and they're lightbulbs. Rolling Eyes

But there is an accepted way of doing things like this, best to keep it that way.

Quote:
If your just changing the lamp holder, then making sure the lightswitch is off is good enough. A good idea is to turn it off then use some tape to hold it, this way it will alert others around not to turn it on (or at least question why the tape is on there).

Unless someone has wired the switch in the neutral side. Then you're going to get fried.

Never ever trust what someone else has done. You don't know them, it could have been Pte1643 who thinks polarity doesn't matter that wired it in Wink.

Don't work on any mains systems unless you either have the fuse in your pocket or a padlock on the main switch with the key in your pocket.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you're scaring me now, guys! Sad The landlord is sending his sparkie today to replace all my bulbs with energy saving ones, so hopefully I won't have to do it again in the near future.

When they're energy saving, does it also mean that they use less electricity, so I might not have to keep running to the fuse box to flick the switches up as often as I do now? I think I keep overloading the fuses, as every so often when I turn something on, one of the four switches goes 'off'.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 14:03 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
When they're energy saving, does it also mean that they use less electricity

what other sort of energy do you expect them to save? Razz

yes.. they will draw less current.

a

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:
Paivi wrote:
When they're energy saving, does it also mean that they use less electricity

what other sort of energy do you expect them to save? Razz

I've no idea. Laughing That much is obvious!

Thanks guys! Went for the easy option after all!

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:38 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syx wrote:

Repeat for other lights.

holy fuck dude, if someone tried that without reading the rest of this thread Shocked don't touch anything till you known its dead... im over 2 years into my apprenticeship now, worked 7 days a week all summer, every aspect of work, private jobs and work at home but I've NEVER had a shock, not even a small one... always isolate and test before touching anything!

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 20:15 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:

holy fuck dude, if someone tried that without reading the rest of this thread Shocked don't touch anything till you known its dead... im over 2 years into my apprenticeship now, worked 7 days a week all summer, every aspect of work, private jobs and work at home but I've NEVER had a shock, not even a small one... always isolate and test before touching anything!

Your going to get a whack at some point we all do Laughing

During my apprenticeship l,ve had shocks from a 3 phase motor and a single phase led temp display, the motor was because the casing wasn,t earthed and a phase was in contact with it inside the termnial box and the display was my finger sliping and touching the exposed PCB on the back when trying to push it back to place.

Extreme pins and needles feeling all over the body while being thrown across the floor plus it hurts like hell and you hear a "nananananana" sound going right through the head.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:26 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
Your going to get a whack at some point we all do Laughing

During my apprenticeship l,ve had shocks from a 3 phase motor and a single phase led temp display, the motor was because the casing wasn,t earthed and a phase was in contact with it inside the termnial box and the display was my finger sliping and touching the exposed PCB on the back when trying to push it back to place.

Extreme pins and needles feeling all over the body while being thrown across the floor plus it hurts like hell and you hear a "nananananana" sound going right through the head.

I know it's only a matter of time Shocked in a way I can't wait, in a way I can Laughing

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 01:41 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got done by a pressure washer whilst standing barefeet in a plastic tank. Just very glad i hadnt sprayed everywhere first.

Still... woke me up a bit.

I doubt highly it will kill you though, its just unpleasant.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2