Lights: bayonet to screw cap?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Syx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:33 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:

holy fuck dude, if someone tried that without reading the rest of this thread Shocked don't touch anything till you known its dead... im over 2 years into my apprenticeship now, worked 7 days a week all summer, every aspect of work, private jobs and work at home but I've NEVER had a shock, not even a small one... always isolate and test before touching anything!

I've replaced god knows how many of these things, and never had a shock. It's quite simple to turn the light off first... I thought that would go without saying!

Sorry for trying to help, I'll keep it to myself in future. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 11:28 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syx wrote:
Sparks! wrote:

holy fuck dude, if someone tried that without reading the rest of this thread Shocked don't touch anything till you known its dead... im over 2 years into my apprenticeship now, worked 7 days a week all summer, every aspect of work, private jobs and work at home but I've NEVER had a shock, not even a small one... always isolate and test before touching anything!

I've replaced god knows how many of these things, and never had a shock. It's quite simple to turn the light off first... I thought that would go without saying!

Sorry for trying to help, I'll keep it to myself in future. Sad

Its just that you didnt say anything about turning the light off or supply off so if someone who doesn't know what they are doing, try your advice word for word then they are in for a shock if they don't think to turn it off first.

Also, most house lights are 3 plated which means if you just turn the switch off, you sitll have live connections on the light fitting, it is technically safe to unscrew the lamp holder itself, but make sure you get the right one Laughing Personally I'd just say turn the breaker off at the mains board, or turn the whole board off if you really don't know what you're doing, better safe than sorry Laughing

p.s if she can't change a lightbulb i dont think she should change the lamp holders herself Laughing

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
p.s if she can't change a lightbulb i dont think she should change the lamp holders herself Laughing

Grrrr... Careful, mate, I'm bigger than you! Laughing

Can't change lightbulbs because I can't physically reach them, not because I don't know how to do it. Well, I didn't in 1992, when I first moved to the UK, as had never heard of bayonet bulbs. So, sat in darkness for two days because I couldn't get the bulb out, had to wait for the landlord to come and do it... Embarassed Laughing

I now have lovely energy saving bulbs, but the sparkie was saying that he wants to rewire the flat in the summer, as the "wiring doesn't look right". Shocked No wonder I've been blowing the fuses every week and changing bulbs every few weeks.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:43 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you not have stood on a chair, or step-ladder even?

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was, Maurice, but the ceilings are ridiculously high (about 4.5m) and the lampshades almost touching the ceiling, so couldn't hold the fitting with one hand while wrestling the bulb off with the other.

Pte1643
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:39 - 08 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Never ever trust what someone else has done. You don't know them, it could have been Pte1643 who thinks polarity doesn't matter that wired it in Wink.

Yes, maybe it could have been someone like Pte1643...

Who is in fact a degree qualified Electrical Engineer, and always carries his DVM with him Razz

If you read my post properly, you will find that I said that it didn't matter which way the lampholder was wired, because Lightbulbs are NOT Polarlised (at least not normal domestic ones) NOT the Switch.

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 08 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pte1643 wrote:
Who is in fact a degree qualified Electrical Engineer, and always carries his DVM with him Razz

Says it all really Wink Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2