Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you economise?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: How do you economise? Reply with quote

Most of us are broke at this time of year. Or, if your luck is as bad as mine, some bastard has just ripped you off too.

What do you do to enconimise? I'm sure we could all benefit from eachothers ideas!

It has to be said, this is not one of my best skills . . . . .
    If I buy a steak, it will be a good one
    If I buy wine it will won't be cheap
    If I make honey on toast - I always over do the honey
    I regularly leave my computer on when I'm not using it
    I always user FAR too much shampoo (the same goes for household cleaning products)
    I'm always throwing away left over food
    I oftain overflow my bath

Here is how I 'do' economise . . .
    Girls - TESCO 'value' cleanser for babies, its the MOST fantastic eye makeup remover, smells nice at costs only about 49p for a large bottle.
    I have switched to what I think is a cheaper energy company.
    I keep as much of my money in a savings account (not my bank)
    I always make a packed lunch for work
    I 'try' and do my own DIY
    I always have my bath at night - not in the morning ( AH HA - why's that cheaper?)
    I use Ebay (or other online webistes that offer discounts)
    I nick selotape from work!

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 17:42 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

been experimenting myself recently, pissed off with always managing to spend everything i earn each month

in december i wrote down everything i spent in a simple spreadsheet, day, item, amount makes for scary reading and helps to see where your money goes

i need to stop buying my lunch at petrol stations whilst on the road at work, its convenient but hurts your wallet big time
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 17:51 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't economise at all
AT ALL

We live life like we are big kids
We earn money, then spend it on junk

Three quarters of OHs wages go on DDs such as mortgage, sky plus, telephones, blah blah... we like our luxuries Thumbs Up Surprised
All of my wages go on shopping, junk stuff and whatever we see and want to buy

For example just before Xmas we had a few spare quid, not much, but a bit, so we bought ourselves an Xbox360.
"Do you think this is a good idea Jo"? "Dunno, lets just buy it and see" Mr. Green
When we go food shopping, we hardly ever look at prices. If we want it/need it/see it then we chuck it in the trolley. We go in with a 'sort of' idea how much we want to spend, and try not to go too mad

At the end of each month we seem to just about manage, and has always been that way. We get paid in one weeks time at the mo, and we have enough until then, so it is a good month Thumbs Up

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: How do you economise? Reply with quote

Monkeypie wrote:
I nick selotape from work!

JUST sellotape?!?! Bah! Amateur! Laughing Wink

Parcel tape, padded envelopes, A4 paper, A4 file pouches, pens, markers, staples, post-it notes, sticky labels and TFT monitors* can all be had at the bargain price of £0.00 from my work!! Twisted Evil

Mudskipper Mr. Green

*The last item on the list WAS a joke by the way!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying lunch at work is possibly where I fritter away a lot of money. We are all as bad as each other at work. We have a choice of oatcakes, McD's, KFC, bagettes, pies, fish & chips from local shops....the choice is endless (and not too healthy either!!). My boss even called to get pizza delivered on Friday lunchtime, that was when we realised it had gone too far!

I try to economise when I do the food shopping, we mostly by supermarket own brands (certainly cat food and cleaning products, for example).

We have started to take baths instead of showers (our water rates are fixed, and the water is heated from when we have the heating on anyway).

We have savings accounts set up for things like Christmas, things that need doing to the house etc, so when we need to buy stuff it doesn't eat into our wages as such. This makes a huge difference and doesn't leave you broke in January. Thumbs Up

Moneypie - Thanks for the tip about the Tesco Value cleanser, I will be trying that!!

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 18:04 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: How do you economise? Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:

Parcel tape, padded envelopes, A4 paper, A4 file pouches, pens, markers, staples, post-it notes, sticky labels and TFT monitors* can all be had at the bargain price of £0.00 from my work!! Twisted Evil

Mudskipper Mr. Green
*The last item on the list WAS a joke by the way!

Of course the last item was a joke MS Wink We believe you

I do of course also 'lend on a longterm basis' certain work items such as paper clips, tape, staples, pens..and other various things. There are other things too, but we won't go into that because of legal repercussions Wink Laughing

I actually have a lil picture on my office wall behind my desk from toothpastefordinner.com that says "the office stationery doesn't just steal itself people" , or similar
Those drawings are ace

Ooo...I found it>> Mr. Green

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 18:06 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace Money might help you - its basically a fancy spreadsheet that lets you track what you are doing with your money and where it will be going in the next few weeks.

https://www.mechcad.net/products/acemoney/

If you pay for it you can have multiple accounts set up, so you can have your credit card and savings on there.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:13 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I used to buy lunches and so on from shops when at work, it was costing like.. £10 a day sometimes.. thats £40/£50 a week depending on how much I spend, sometimes less.. it was fucking ridiculous and I don't know why I done it to be honest. Just lunch stuff can be so expensive.. up to £3/4 for a fuckin sandwich??

So far this year (1 week back) I've spent less than £10 for the whole week.. I now make lunches to take to work, the £10 I spent was mostly from the first day back when I had to buy lunch as I didn't have anything at home.. after that I've only spent about £1.50 a couple of days on some drinks.. even cheaper if I get the drinks at start of week from tesco in bulk. its saving a lot of money, my bank statements usualy have about 25/30 outgoings per week Laughing now its about 5.. if that.. definetly going to save a lot of money if I keep this up... and its probably healthier.

So i think lunches and food at work is where most money can be saved..

Other than that.. tesco/asda own brand everything does the trick Laughing don't drive if you can walk or cycle just as quick.. saves on some petrol/diesel.

Another big expense can be magazines, if you buy a lot, do you really need/want to ? I don't really buy any these days, maybe the odd one, but thats about it.. used to buy about 6 per month...

Dvd rentals? go online, www.lovefilm.com a lot cheaper than going to blockbusters every week and a lot less hassle too.. and you dont get tetmpted to buy sweets/drinks as you dont have to go into the stores....

just some ideas really.... im gonna be trying to save as much money on stuff for a while now due to not having much at the minute Laughing so far so good Wink

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem is getting paid once a month and then living like a ten bob millionaire for the week. Mostly going out/ebay shite/clothes/takeaways

This year Im limiting my self to one proper night on the beer a week, instead of the usual thurs/fri/sat/sun (not every week obviously), not drinking so much in the house (nightly trips to tesco for x amount of cans + petrol adds up), less dinners at work 4-6 quid a day.

Likes been said it all adds up very quckly! Thumbs Up

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im terrible for these things:
Arrow Leaving doors open
Arrow Leaving lights on
Arrow Leaving TV + Computer on
Arrow Spending money on shite I dont need

Although do save some money by:
Arrow Buying at HMV using student card, even though I havent been a student for a couple of months
Arrow restrict myslef to a 'sub of the day' even though I want that chicken tikka one Mr. Green
Arrow Try to buy bus tickets in advance to save money
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hopeless at budgeting.

However, I have learnt a few things:

Arrow Supermarket 'economy' versions can be good choices for some things. Teabags are NOT one of these! Sick

Arrow Always put washing on last thing at night, it's cheaper (same as the bath concept i guess). And NEVER use a tumble drier!!

Arrow NEVER food shop on an empty stomach.

Arrow If you're popping to the shops for milk and bread, take enough cash for milk and bread. And no debit/credit cards.

I'm a bit of a saddo in that I will often tot up how much my shopping costs as I'm pushing the trolley around. You need to concentrate, but when you've got up to 20 quid and all you see in there is fruit, veg and a pack of mince it makes you think about what you could do without buying! I also set an amount for that trip, and take that much cash with me. If I'm nearly at limit with things still to get, I have to reassess what's in there.

Yes, I probably spend to long in the supermarket!! Razz But the other reason for my trolley vigilance is that I can only buy what my panniers and rucksack (and cargo net, at a push) can hold!! Laughing

I would say to NEVER sacrifice your little pleasures/luxuries (steak/honey/wine/shampoo), but perhaps to make yourself 'earn' them by making do in other areas.

Like, for example, make dull crappy sandwiches for a week (if you usually buy expensive shop sandwiches day-to-day), and think 'right, that's saved me 20 quid, so i will bloody well use that for a nice weekend steak & bottle of wine/takeaway & crate of beer!' You'll have looked forward to it, so it'll be even more enjoyable. Thumbs Up

Mudskipper Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shonajoy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:55 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was frugal till recently, when I started working. I worked out I was spending about £20 a week on Beanscene coffee, and about the same on lunches, so now take my own.

I save on parking cos of the bike now and my ptrol costs have droppd hugely so that's me economising.Oh and ebay-we buy loads of stuff from ther, evrything from a woodburning stove to kids clothes.

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
make dull crappy sandwiches for a week

LOL - yer my bown bread cheese sandwich gets a bit tiring, but I remind mysef just how cheap it is each time I have one Laughing

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badly...Next Question...

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 22:05 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of simple living, and although it's not for everyone does lend itself to focussing on frugality and budgeting. This is one of my favourite sites :-

https://www.december.com/simple/live/

Another good site is Motley Fool, which is a good place to start when looking at your finances :-

https://www.fool.co.uk/money-saving-tips/money-saving-tips.aspx

Here's some more from my favourites, and although a lot are Americentric, do have good information on watching where the money goes.

https://www.stretcher.com/index.cfm
https://jmooneyham.com/poor.html
https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/index.php

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:13 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe how hot a lot of peoples houses are.

I economise by keeping the heating set at what I call a 'comfort minimum'. If it gets a bit chilly, I put on another jumper, sometimes even a hat.

So, I have the heating on for an hour twice a day at this time of year. When the GF was up last, I had it on for 12 hours before she arrived and she still whinged about being cold Rolling Eyes.

I also switch the lights out when I leave a room, which is something I notice a lot of people don't do.

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakfast, lunch and dinners for 2 people for 6 days for £13.89. If anyone can beat that, I'll be fucked.

I had to make bread and pizza dough, omlettes and buy frighteningly cheap mince (not too bad if you crumble half a beef stock cube in with it).

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching lights out is one way of economising, but that'll save pennies a day. Whereas if I take my lunch to work rather than buying it there I save about £20 a week. That's like having an extra 1000 quid on my salary - after tax! I cut my travel expenses in half by riding into work, rather than going by tube. That is somewhat offset by the cost of buying and insuring a bike - but I'd be doing that anyway.

I'm not good at economising though. I have a thirsty car, a single-glazed gaff and expensive taste in beer.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 23:14 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I also switch the lights out when I leave a room, which is something I notice a lot of people don't do.

Something my physics teacher told me was that the energy required to initially light an incandescent bulb is equivalent to the amount required to keep it burning for 3 minutes, so if you are leaving the room for less than that, leave the light on.

I've not checked this figure at all, but it sounds believable.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:22 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:

Something my physics teacher told me was that the energy required to initially light an incandescent bulb is equivalent to the amount required to keep it burning for 3 minutes, so if you are leaving the room for less than that, leave the light on.

I've not checked this figure at all, but it sounds believable.

Not an incandescent bulb. They draw a constant current.

Flourescent tubes on the other hand use a lot of power to 'start' then use very little once they're going. They have huge ballast coils in them to throw the initial arc of electricity through the gas in the tube. Once the current is flowing and the gas is ionised, it doesn't take much to keep it doing so.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 23:36 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
When the GF was up last, I had it on for 12 hours before she arrived and she still whinged about being cold Rolling Eyes.

This seems to be a common trait among women.

strawberry
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:56 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
When the GF was up last, I had it on for 12 hours before she arrived and she still whinged about being cold Rolling Eyes.

This seems to be a common trait among women.

As a member of the cold woman club I can only apologise Crying or Very sad

I spend many months of the year feeling cold to my very bones - the sort of cold that can't be shaken by the heating being on for a few extra hours. My hands and feet are as blocks of ice, my hands often to the point of stiffness and pain (even when in a centrally heated house). Trust me, it sucks from this end too Razz

Oh, and topic wise - making a shopping list is a good one I find - allow yourself up to 2 impulse buys if doing a large shop but otherwise only buy what is on the list.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 03:37 - 08 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon my dad will be going to Germany for 6 weeks and I get the house to my self.

That means nothing will be turned off. Laughing

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 08 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with supermarker 'own' brands is that alot of them are much higher in bad things like salt/fat. Thats why I don't nesc use them.

My next thing is going to be my broadband provider. Im switching.

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 08 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying fresh not processed improved how we eat and cut the food bill significantly. I still throw too much food in the bin but am working on that. I shut doors and turn off lights but I refuse to be cold thats being mean to me, which I wont do. I like the fact that, by being careful in some areas I canuse the surplus created for fun stuff.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2