BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What Dog?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: What Dog? Reply with quote

Since there are no magazines called "What dog" i need advice here.

I am getting a dog, or rather i am getting one if i like it or not as my bf wants one. I have two cats and i am a bit worried that the choice of dog will have the cats for a snack.

The dog will be a big dog and a pedigree one. Anyone here have any big dogs that can tell me what there like as i havnt made my mind up what i want?

Bf wants Alzation
I want Dooberman,great dane,and really really want a husky but i dont know what there like to care for.

Stick some pics up to if you like i need ideas.

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish Wolfhound.

Scary looking things! Laughing

https://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures-gallery/dog-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/irish-wolfhound-pictures-breeders-puppies-rescue/pictures/irish-wolfhound-0001.jpg

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a mate at work who keeps and breeds huskies. From what i see they arn't too bad to care for as long as you are prepared to give them LOTS of excersise!

know he uses them for dog racing. You know, 6 dogs one buggy thing as we can't even get good snow! Still, looks fun!

All of it.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish wolfhound is a tad too big! there is a woman who owns one here and it looks like she is taking a mutant dog for a walk, other way round dog takes her for walk.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've currently got 2 Springer spaniels, a farm accident (irish water spaniel x alsation) and the 3 irish water spaniels, along with their current litter of pups.

Farm accident:
https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/coventrybikers/Doogles/PICT1550.jpg

I like my gundogs as I like walking out and about, they can go swimming and are a very robust type, the springer particularily are clever without the slyness of a hearding breed such as a border collie.

Seeing as you've got kitties I'd suggest a puppy, so it's brought up around the cats, or taking on an older partly trained dog from a home with cats?

Problems with popular breeds is common ailments, gundogs arn't free from them, labradors and their hips a good example.
I like your BF like the Alsations/GSD but a good pedigree one is alot of money, a random pedigree one is £400 and a council estate 'pure bread' less than that. I'm sure all would make good dogs with the right owner.

Don't rush into getting a dog, go and see lots of litters,
make sure you see both parents and relations if possible.
please don't take a pup under 8 weeks, we don't let ours go until they are 12 weeks.

I don't know anything about dobermans other than they cant swim.

I walk dogs for other people to, a miniture spitz (mittle)
https://www.geocities.com/fyreburst/dickens.jpg
and a toy poodle,
https://www.homesteadpoodles.com/LUCKY_10.JPG
the Spitz is a robust little dog, but moults ever where. the poodle the opposite, I use the above as an example. How much moulting could you handle? the lond haired GSD/alsations moult heavily, I think twice yearly (I'd have to check) even with regular brushing their will be alot of hair. The poodles and irish water spaniels dont moult at all and require clipping.

Besides what you want your dog to look like, what do you want out of it?
How much time can you garuntee a day to walking your dog?
How much training can you provide.. active minds need lots of stimulus.

Do lots of reading online and get your nose into lots of books, all will help.

Also what budget do you have for a pedigree?
The dog's lifespan also, I expect my working gundogs to reach 10 easily and hobble to perhaps 15.
Roxie longer.. she's a mudblood Laughing
Breeds such as Great danes tend to have short lives, a neighbouring farm had one only make it to 3 and he was an old dog by then.
Yappy little toy dogs seem to go on forever

My 6 month old springer was £150 from a retard in wales who thought she was full grown, she's a complete bag of bones, I've probably brought a 'duff' dog home as dad keeps telling me. But she's got a good nose on her and is mad for retrieving, she also watches me, even if her attention span is 2 seconds. So she will be easy to train but it will take time.

Maddi -
https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/coventrybikers/Doogles/anotherinnocentlook.jpg

How about having a walk around a rehoming centre?
plenty of pedigrees in there. If you dont want to breed or show/trial KC papers arn't essential as long as the animal is fit and healthy. I know Kenilworth canine defense are full to capacity at the moment with dogs, last time I was there thye had a loverly alaskan malaumute (sp?) his family emigrated and he got 'donated'
I'm pretty sure he'd of cost alot of dollar as a pup....

I think the key is to keep an open mind.
Maybe give the kennel club a ring, though they can talk down their nose to you, persist.

Crufts is coming up in March. Maybe a visit is in order? They have a section 'discover dogs' where you can see just about every breed in existence, talk to the breeders, find about what the breed is to live with.
discover dogs website - https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/buying/discover_dogs.html

Hope this helps, sorry for the ramble
Simple

Last edited by Simple on 14:56 - 09 Jan 2007; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
Irish wolfhound is a tad too big! there is a woman who owns one here and it looks like she is taking a mutant dog for a walk, other way round dog takes her for walk.

That's down to the owner though, any dog can walk nicely on a loose lead.
Even my nutters once they've calmed down

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have loads of room for a dog, and alot of time to walk it. I love animals etc i just want to choise the right dog and not a kiddy or cat mawler. Thanks for that Simple there, lot of information.

Bit worried it will put the cats noses out of joint though as they will be territorial.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
Well i have loads of room for a dog, and alot of time to walk it. I love animals etc i just want to choise the right dog and not a kiddy or cat mawler. Thanks for that Simple there, lot of information.

Bit worried it will put the cats noses out of joint though as they will be territorial.

It's almost innevitable the cat's will be put out of joint, I tried hard to accomodate Roxie (the black mutt) when the pup joined us, there were still fights, though only when my back was turned. They're since calmed down. Roxie initially sandwiched herself between me and the pup, claiming me. She even did it to Phoenix Laughing

Any breed can be a mauler unfortunatly.
https://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk/
Keep your eyes on channel 4, an episode of 'it's me or the dog' although I don't totally agree with the programme it is a victim of editing. They had a cocker spaniel which suffered with 'rage syndrome' which is a breed 'defect' - for want of a better word. The dog could not be retrained and had to be PTS...

Even made the Mail on sunday.

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my limited experience with dogs it seems the common mutt would be the best to live with and maintain.
Our family dog was a brown, jack russell sized non-breed with a funny curly tale.
He was a quality dog, very friendly, very tame with our cat, lasted 18 years then dropped dead without any fuss. Not even a cold in 18 years Thumbs Up

Arfdog
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:27 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobermann's and rottweilers are fantastic dogs, rotties tend to be more stable than rotties. Not the best dogs round chidren. very exciteable when young.

Bull mastiff very big, fairly relaxed temperament, nice huge dog but can be slobbery.

Rhodesian ridgeback - best of all worlds, short hair and clean.

if I was you i would get a mongrel though, thoroughbreds are often inbred and suffer genetic problems, even madness sometimes (watch out for dalmations).. mongrels, I would say, tend to develop more character, and live longer (especially big dogs) than throoughbred counterparts.

Just my opinion, of course.

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 15:31 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't said the amount of time you would be capable of commiting to walking/spending with the dog, You would have to take this into serious consideration as the last thing you'd want to do is under-exercise it, and this will vary from breed to breed....

A bored dog is a naughty dog! Laughing

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chow Chow

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but does take a bit of commitment to keep the coat clean! Laughing

J.K.R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 2 scottish deerhounds (only one of thems pedigree i think) bitches, Good laugh but a bit thick compared to other dogs Shifty

The deerhounds have both been good around small dogs (If a little frightened) I'd recommend a pup one Thumbs Up I'll see if my mum has pics of them?

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huskies and other large dogs discussed here.

Silver's got The Husky, an absolutely gorgeous dog.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img_3491.jpg

Jenks
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've got a liver dalmation, Absolutily 100% stupid. But so loveable! **In the last pic, he is sneezing, not snapping or anything lol**

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/ylldeath/Photo-0222.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/ylldeath/Photo-0118.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/ylldeath/Photo-0109.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/ylldeath/Photo-0045-1.jpg

id say if you've got some time and energy - go for one!

--This is Oscar AKA "The frog"--
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/ylldeath/Photo-0004-1.jpg
The dog (Ludo) just thinks that oscar is his baby!
Perfect temprement
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 17:30 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big dog... a Weimaraner
He weighs about 35kilos at the minute

I also have 2 cats, and he is fine with them
Dogs just need to be taught to respect the cats. As the cats are already there, and the dog is from a pup, all should go well

I wouldn't recommend Weimaraners for everyone though. They are cool dogs, but are VERY headstrong, determined and powerful. Not for a first time dog owner

Norm>>>

Arfdog
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:54 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my old dog, Gunston.

He weighed about a stone more than me... He was a cross between a very large dobermann, and a labrador.

He died 2 years ago unforts, alays wanted to get a similar dog over here, but the gardens in this country ain't big enough. I had him when still in SA, and the garden was about 4 times the size of my entire plot in england..

https://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n190/arfdog/gunstonSFB.jpg

J.K.R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend has a Weimaraner... Agree with everything Jodie said, Its a cool dog but it can get annoying Razz

Heres my mums 'dugs'

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/JakeSP/DSC02510.jpg

From left to right, Cairn, Jess and Caileag (Jess is her boyfriends one - I hate it, Small and yippy)

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/JakeSP/deerhoundhybridmay054.jpg

Caileag and Cairn

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/JakeSP/trampoline.jpg

Finnbar and Caileag chillin' on the trampoline (Finnbar stayed with us for a while)

(Yes, I hve informed my mum she is poor at taking photo's Razz )

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:58 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend you don't get a giant breed and don't get a pedigree breed. But you will anyway so what the hell.

I wouldn't recommend ANY giant breed dogs for pets, it'll destroy your house then die at the age of eight having cost you a fortune in vets bills. I wouldn't recommend any pedigree dogs at all as a pet because they're all inbred to buggery and the ones that aren't physically deformed are mentally defficient.

I'd recommend a medium sized, crossbred dog of indeterminate origin.

Failing that, designer crosses like labradoodles and golden doodles have a lot to recommend them as pet dogs.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel beat me to it, imo crosses/mongrel are the way to go Thumbs Up pedigree dogs are more prone to disease, bad temperament, short lifespan.. i struggle to understand why anyone wouldn't get down to an rspca..

Another vet (friend of a friend) said to me if anyone does get a pedigree they're completely insane if they dont take out pet insurance, seems very sound advice from the horror storys

Last edited by mr.z on 19:18 - 09 Jan 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Failing that, designer crosses like labradoodles and golden doodles have a lot to recommend them as pet dogs.

why pay £400 for what is a mongrel when you can pay £350 for a springer or £400 for a husky?
Stupid fashion out of control, Poodles arn't the best breed around for their sanity... crossing them with cockers and labradors just seems madness...

Roxie my black pooch is a mix up.. I'd have a springer over her any day, she doesn't get out her box unless she's going a walk or theres food about, she's quite nasty and has bitten a fair few people.. Much rather havea pedigree that's more biddable and you know how it will behave.

Last edited by Simple on 18:46 - 09 Jan 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 18:40 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why pay at all? Plenty of dog shelters with strays gagging for a loving home.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
Why pay at all? Plenty of dog shelters with strays gagging for a loving home.

you do know they're not free....

I sold roxie's litter fro £80 a pup. Plenty of scallies offered me £20.. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Simple on 19:03 - 09 Jan 2007; edited 1 time in total

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Alsation. Great dogs & are very protective. She's more of a cat then a dog, she doesn't grow, she sleeps on the top of chairs & kitchen tops. Very clever tho, she's learnt how to undo the baby gate by the little lever which she opens with her teeth. If you shout 'Toy' she opens the cuboard door & pulls out her toy.

You might want a boy tho as there much bigger.

Hopfully when i move i'm either going to get a Pitbull, Husky or Doberman.

https://img456.imageshack.us/img456/4283/1dc7.jpg

Last edited by Misc on 19:06 - 09 Jan 2007; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5