Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What Dog?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:35 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing you're beginning to re-think the dog idea now, eh Dragonfly? Laughing

Although in the past we've had 2 dobermen, a lurcher and a chocolate labrador, I think if I was to get another (as in my own, not a family pet) then it would be from a rescue centre. We only got the chocolate lab because he was a freebie. The doberman I couldn't take for a walk myself even at the age of 12 because he was ferocious to anything other than people in my family. Have only ever seen one good natured, friendly-to-all doberman.

Irish setter is the only thing that could probably make me sway out of buying a mongrel nowadays. I love their dipshit & duracell personality. Laughing

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 12:05 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague of my Dad's has a Great Dane.

This monster of a dog, as a puppy, enjoyed 'tossing the garden furniture' and found the appeal of dining table legs similar to that of a dog biscuit. However, she requires less exercise than a lot of dogs and is very mild mannered. The largest problem they have suffered is her trying to 'rescue' people from water - a wind surfer in cornwall and even my dad's colleague from the bath!

Laughing

On the downside, she had to buy a larger car to accomodate the dog (as a puppy Molly wouldn't fit in the Elise!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You l been very helpful and some great dog pics in there to. I particulaly liked chow chow awww so fluffy lol

BF is stuck on the idea of an alzation i still want a husky. We have been discussing this for aprox 2 years now and now we have the right accomadation for the dog and everything else. The time is right just have to look for the right dog now.

Last time i was at the rspca kennels i cried like a baby as it was heartbreaking Sad i wasnt the only one mind.

worried about the backyard smelling like wet dog and looking like a swamp as in the summer i want to have BBQ's out there, bf said he clean all the shit up but i still am cautious.

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate has a Ridgeback / Rottie cross.

Looks pretty much the same as a Ridgeback like this one but broader.

https://www.perrilandia.com/photo/cz1/f415086.jpg

The dog has a great temprement, but wasn't always the case. He got the dog as a guard dog originally as my mate owned a pub at the tmie and it wasn't in a great area. The dog was fine with people he knew but no one else. A couple of police officers came into the back of the pub one night and the dog put one of them in hospital. That said they pushed their way into a pub with MASSIVE signs about guard dogs on site.

Anyway, now my mate no longer has the pub, and the dog is a lot older he's calmed down one hell of a lot. Great with kids and anyone who comes in.

After seeing the dog I'd recommend one as a good pet, but seeing how he was younger I'd say stick well clear as he could be REAL nasty! How much is down to training and how much is down to the age of the dog i don't know!

All of it.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner than i expected but the other half is away looking at an alzation pup at the moment. So seems i got no say anymore but i do get a say in the name, lucky me.

Its not registered but i am not sure what that means and the guy is telling me that its £150 selling. i think thats a rip off as i seen them cheaper and think we should wait but my bf is natorius at making snap decisions that turn out very bad and never thinks, he just sees it wants it and dosnt listen. Bit like most men i think. If he does get it i will get some pics and post them. She is getting the whole conservatory to herself to.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not registered, I would assume that means it isn't registered with any breeding club/association which means a lot if you want to use the dog for stud work (registered pedigrees worth more??)

Think my dog had something to do with the Kennel Club. *shrug*

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, well i dont think that matters then. Now what else can i find to complain about? Thinking (dog related) Laughing

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in a few weeks, all the chewed up furniture. Laughing Laughing

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's £150, then it'll not be Kennel Club registered meaning (effectively) that you can't "show" her, breed her as a pedigree, rely on her breeding etc. If that doesn't worry you, then away you go!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Irish setter is the only thing that could probably make me sway out of buying a mongrel nowadays. I love their dipshit & duracell personality. Laughing

My mum and dad have got one (Glen), and he is a dipshit. But an absolutly cracking dog and very loyal. He's 11 now so is a bit fat and a bit grumpy and just lies about waiting for food, but as a puppy he was as daft as a brush. My mum once said that the way me and my brothers spoke to him amounted to mental bullying Laughing Well he did have the Kennel name "Glenauld Scarlet Sailor" f**king homo dog.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

no papers mean you dont know how inbred the dog is, you're getting a 'pedigree' or so you think, £150 is what I paid for my springer with KC papers and a good pedigree.

I think a pup should be a joint decisions, who's going to be at home with it most of the time while it grows up?

Dad let me pick our last two pups as I'm the one who works them so it's upto me to pick a dog I think I can train (ie one that watches me)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:28 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't be buying a German Shepherd Dog whose parents haven't been hip scored.

The breed is notorious for a problem called hip dysplasia where the ball and socket joint doesn't fit together properly. This makes the dog much more likely to have a problem with arthritis when they are older (or sometimes not that old at all with GSDs).

Hip scoring is when an x-ray is taken of the dogs hips and the 'fit' of each hip joint is measured and given a numerical score. You should only breed from dogs with equal to or better than the breed average (referred to as the "Breed Mean Score").

So, ask if the parents were hip scored and if so, what that score was. In my experience a lot of disreputable breeders lie about having had their breeding dogs hip scored or what that score was. They would have been given a certificate showing the score and are highly unlikely to have lost it given how much it costs to have done.

The breed mean score for german shepherds is 19. The median is 12 so 19 would be a working maximum as far as I am concerned, 12 or less would be better.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above but don't just ask, you want to see proof. Nothing to stop them ofbbing you off

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
She is getting the whole conservatory to herself to.

Ay

tha's where our current three 'pet' dogs live, better than a kennel, good for taking soggy bike kit off in too. They also get warmth from the house so isn't too cold.

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a dobe and an heinz 57, the dobe was very hard work to begin with he is a pleasure to own now though and very friendly to most people although he seems to have a problem with black people and turns very nasty at the sight of any. As much as i love him I wouldn't have another due to the comitment and time he takes up. He can't be left with others because he won't eat and pines for us (had to come home from cornwall when we put him in kennels). You should take out pet insurance because it's sods law when the dog gets ill you'll be skint.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

plugger147 wrote:
I've got a dobe and an heinz 57, the dobe was very hard work to begin with he is a pleasure to own now though and very friendly to most people although he seems to have a problem with black people and turns very nasty at the sight of any. .

haha I too have a racist dog, well mainly it's headgear like baseball caps and turbans, but not being nasty, black people walk differently and she doesn't like it...
Really have to watch her.

thing is.. she's black, must be indenial Laughing

Also with pet insurance it was over 300 a yea r for Meg for basic cover that did bugger all, worthwhile cover was £700, so we just thought we'd pay any bills should she become ill, we're a farm so vaccinate the dogs ourselves.
at £700 a year for 5 years without having to use it, it was expensive. Depends on breed though, springers being the zx10 to insure of dogs Cool

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 11 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an alsation puppy, its parents are full breed and seen them they have papers.

Seems petrified to be honest and i am a little worried. Its panting alot and tried giving it water but suppose its getting used to the house. Its peed several times and left some deposits on the floor much to my pleasure my bf has to clean up as he wanted the dog Thumbs Up only fair as i clean up after cats.,

The cats are looking at it wildly and none to pleased they have taken to the upstairs of the house,

Called it "Missy" dont know why it just stuck with her. She stinks i got some shampoo from the pet shop and a few other things the staff where excellant help there.

at present missy is chewing my nice throw over i donated as a bed to her much to my displeasure but is coming out of her shell.
ok questions:

How often to i clean dog as she stinks and the smell had me heaving this morning? Sick

How do you stop the livingroom carpet smelling of pee as she peed there i didnt get her into the hall on time.

also my eyes are getting worse with all the fur floating about and think my alledrgies are worse now Sad have to get the allergies eye drops out again.

Photoes will follow as soon as i figure out what happened to the finepix viewer when dad mucked the computer up.

scott666
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:35 - 11 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsations are cool. We got two one white ane one black and tan. Just give her chance to settle in and she will learn not to pee in the house, obviously with a little training. As for cats we just made sure they got used to each other at a young age and now they sometimes chase her but more to play then harm.

Hears a pic of mine:-

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 11 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a springer who used to all of the above... still pees up against the bannister at my uncles house sometimes, we cant figure it out..

Clean her as much as she needs it, itll help her get used to being bathed as its a pain in the rear when they get bigger and stronger, but if they are used to it it wont be as much hassle. Give her a good brush when shes dry, it helps to reduce the amount of fur they leave around the house. And as for peeing, if you dont get there in time use that vanish stuff. or get wooden flooring, makes cleaning up deposits soo much easier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she's living in the house clean her as much as you like, use dog shampoo not soap, detergent or human stuff.

sounds like a pup I wouldn't of picked.
did you ask about hip scores of parents?

I'd get her insured.
If it's an accredited breeder she'd come with 6 weeks free insurance.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 11 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean, she smells bad enough to make you feel sick? That's not normal for a puppy, check her eyes and, especially ears for any pus or other signs of infection. Her behaviour of being petrified doesn't sound like typical puppy behaviour either, she should be curious. A friend of mine got a pug puppy just before xmas and within minutes of being brought into the flat, he was all over the place, checking it out, and he doesn't smell at all of anything.

If you have allergies already, why get a dog? Oh, yes, because your boyfriend wanted one.

Simple: what's the view on washing dogs these days? When we had ours in the 1980s to early '90s, the advice was to wash him only if he got dirty or muddy, but normally a wash wouldn't be needed. As a result, ours was washed with shampoo just once a year, and rest of the time, he was just rinsed with water. Fabulous long silky coat, though.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 11 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your local pet shop and get some of that liquid that makes dogs want to piss when they smell it.

I had a 5 hour car journey when I got my chocolate lab pup. Much to my surprise, he didnt get out of his cardboard box for the whole journey and he didn't do anything nasty. Brought him into the kitchen, put some newspaper down and sprinkled some of that liquid on and he starts pissing immediately. Laughing As if by magic.

Thankfully we have a large enough kitchen to keep dogs in so he stayed in there until he was properly trained and could be trusted (about 3-4 months, can't remember)

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 11 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppies tend to smell of their own poo piss and general mess.. seeing as they don't care when playing what they walk through.

Maddi stinks most days after rummaging around the garden.
If she was in the house she'd have a bath each night after tear arsing around outdoors.

she needs her coat oils though, smelly she will remain, outdoors too.

If she's really disgusting, ie rolled in some cat or fox doo doo she gets a hosing down with soap and rubber gloves, that stuff stinks.

Ben our eldest dog gets on bath a year.. last year he didn't have one at all. Our dogs live out all year round though. So coat condition is more of a priority than how clean and nice smelling they are.

I know police dogs though they live with the handlers have to be kenneled outside to preserve their all weather coat for when they're working.

85rob
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:17 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i had my first spaniel he wasnt house trained, came straight from a bloke that kept him in a run (was into shooting) and he never made a mess in the house, we used to take him out for a short walk every hour or so. ive now got 3 esp's and they're great, very energentic.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/rob85/05112006011.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/rob85/bobbie/3f1df0fa.jpg

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
I had a 5 hour car journey when I got my chocolate lab pup. Much to my surprise, he didnt get out of his cardboard box for the whole journey and he didn't do anything nasty. Brought him into the kitchen, put some newspaper down and sprinkled some of that liquid on and he starts pissing immediately. Laughing As if by magic.

Thankfully we have a large enough kitchen to keep dogs in so he stayed in there until he was properly trained and could be trusted (about 3-4 months, can't remember)

Ours was the same. Fine on the 3 hour car journey home and then had a shit as soon as we put her down in the living room! Rolling Eyes Our own fault really.

But seriously, 3-4 months?! Shocked I'm not joking when I say that our Husky (having never slept inside before and only the minimum of weeks old to collect) was crying at the back door to go out for the toilet within one day! I was amazed, as I was kind of expecting a couple of weeks.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5