Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What Dog?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
Ours was the same. Fine on the 3 hour car journey home and then had a shit as soon as we put her down in the living room! Rolling Eyes Our own fault really.

But seriously, 3-4 months?! Shocked I'm not joking when I say that our Husky (having never slept inside before and only the minimum of weeks old to collect) was crying at the back door to go out for the toilet within one day! I was amazed, as I was kind of expecting a couple of weeks.

Laughing

Well reason being the back garden was secure so he couldn't really be let out there. And pups aren't supposed to go 'out' until they've had all their jags, are they? (16 weeks) That was the reason for not taking him out down the beach. Then of course he chewed anything to bits and would have jumped in our coal fire if we let him. Laughing So in the kitchen he stayed. The kitchen is pretty damn big though so he had plenty of space to run around.

Speaking of that, a rectangular dining table is in the middle of the kitchen and we have lino down on the floor. I used to 'clean' the lino around each of the 4 corners of the table with a wet mop before grabbing his favourite toy and running around the table. Amount of times he just slid into walls and chairs trying to keep up....had me in hysterics. Aaaah dogs - cannae beat em. Laughing Thumbs Up

b-f-c
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:05 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compromise..... Very Happy Shocked

https://www.dogshome.org/rehome/our_dogs/minty.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
What do you mean, she smells bad enough to make you feel sick? That's not normal for a puppy, check her eyes and, especially ears for any pus or other signs of infection. Her behaviour of being petrified doesn't sound like typical puppy behaviour either, she should be curious. A friend of mine got a pug puppy just before xmas and within minutes of being brought into the flat, he was all over the place, checking it out, and he doesn't smell at all of anything.

If you have allergies already, why get a dog? Oh, yes, because your boyfriend wanted one.

Simple: what's the view on washing dogs these days? When we had ours in the 1980s to early '90s, the advice was to wash him only if he got dirty or muddy, but normally a wash wouldn't be needed. As a result, ours was washed with shampoo just once a year, and rest of the time, he was just rinsed with water. Fabulous long silky coat, though.

I never was allergic to pets and i have cats for 7 years i have no idea why they start up now. The puppy is fine now just was getting use to its surroundings as for smell we bathed her yesterday but she still smells a bit like wet dog. I dont think the person who had her bathed her at all. I am a clean freak as it is and have a cupboard full of cleaning stuff of whici i added to today with airwick odour stop and dettol, odour stop is not bad actually will have to see how long the doggy smell stays away though as i only got it.

Missy is trying to eat me alot and i am diverting her attemtions to the toys i bought her which works for a short time, and one the cats is now at least sittting on one side of me staring at the dog in fear. All well, have to get her to vets for a check up as she not to steady on the feet.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

85rob wrote:
when i had my first spaniel he wasnt house trained, came straight from a bloke that kept him in a run (was into shooting) and he never made a mess in the house, we used to take him out for a short walk every hour or so. ive now got 3 esp's and they're great, very energentic.

[]

BooYa for springers!
I've got 2, hoping to up that to three in the summer, have had many over the years, favouritestest breed ever, nothing like a Spaniel

jonboy22
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:40 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh heh heh......

So so so much more fun to come......

Three of my good mates have all got puppies recently, a border, a black lab and a labradoodle I think (not sure).

But I love em. Great to play with. And I love the fact that I don't have to chase around picking up their poo......

Purely out of curiosity but whilst you're sniffing and sneezing and coping with the allergies (you poor thing), can you see if the "rubbing his nose in it trick" works the next time your lab leaves a present for you indoors. It's worked with the black lab but the other two just run around with poo/piss on their faces and go relieve themselves in a different corner......

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 12 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonboy22 wrote:
heh heh heh......

Purely out of curiosity but whilst you're sniffing and sneezing and coping with the allergies (you poor thing), can you see if the "rubbing his nose in it trick" works the next time your lab leaves a present for you indoors. It's worked with the black lab but the other two just run around with poo/piss on their faces and go relieve themselves in a different corner......

Can't say I'm a 'fan' of this method, better off having soem news paper by the back door, when pupp goes to do do, grab puppy, say no, place puppy on news paper or outside...

I had my last litter of pups house trained by 4weeks old...

by all means put their noses to it,

unless you catch puppy in the act it's a pointless excersise as they don't link the telling off with the behaviour of peeing freely

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of myb puppy missy i got. she is 8 weeks old and wonderful. Razz

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cute Thumbs Up

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
she is 8 weeks old Razz

Brick Wall

looks younger than 8weeks on the photo, seeing as you have no papers you don't actually know how old she is.

What are you feeding her on?

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions that you're asking are relatively basic and you really should have done your homework before purchasing something that WILL change your life - sometimes I despair about people who buy Pets on a whim.

That said I would advise that you get in contact with your local vet and ask if they do a 'Puppy Evening' where new owners can visit along with a handful of others - this will allow you to be educated a little with regard to what you've let yourself in for and also introduce your Puppy to other animals which will help with its' social interaction skills.

Also I would suggest a Puppy Training course, they're not expensive and ususally combine interaction with other similarly aged Dogs and the basics (sit, stay, heel, etc) which will help you understand and train your new Puppy.

Also try this link...

Puppy Post

Sign up and you'll receive a starter pack which contains some useful documents and also (more importantly) a weekly email which runs chronologically with your Puppy's age and gives you hints and tips on things to look out for as your Puppy matures into a fully grown adult.

Keep your Puppy stimulated, happy and well trained and you'll reap the benefits later in life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:47 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
dragonfly wrote:
she is 8 weeks old Razz

Brick Wall

looks younger than 8weeks on the photo, seeing as you have no papers you don't actually know how old she is.

How the fuck can you tell that from that photo?

Just because you have some dogs it would appear to make you an expert on everyone elses dogs eh!

SP1

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:53 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

So for example, the gene that gives a boxer dog a squashed looking face (hey, somebody must think this is desirable) could be right next to the gene which causes a faulty heart valve. You breed for the face, you get the dodgy heart. I'm not saying this is the exact case but something they breed for in boxers also causes a dodgy heart valve.

personnaly i reckon dogs with squashed faces cant breathe properly and this puts strain on their hearts

Ork12
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:05 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

personnaly i reckon dogs with squashed faces cant breathe properly and this puts strain on their hearts

Base that theory on all your medical training then col?

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:58 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

Can't dogs breath through their mouths?

SP1

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTR SP1 wrote:

How the fuck can you tell that from that photo?

Just because you have some dogs it would appear to make you an expert on everyone elses dogs eh!

SP1

I didn't say anywhere I was an expert, I'm sure you ramble about lots of bike related things without being accused of being a GP racer or a WSBmechanic? Just because you have 'some bikes'

I don't just have some dogs as you put it...I train, breed, excersise, work and live with my dog. I also care about their welfare. Because they are my passion I spend most of my free time split between my dogs, bf and my bikes.

It was an open 'ask' by the thread starter for opinions, I gave mine.
I've spent time at canine defence with their dogs that people cannot handle what they've taken on, because they don't od enough research and buy a dog 'for christmas'... I hope missy doesn't end up being tossed between owners.

That pup could possibly be 8 weeks, even if it is it should still be with it's litter mates. We keep our pups until they are atleast 10 weeks. I'd say she's more like 7. Having reared 4 litters of pups and helped out with 2 more I think I also have an above average perception of a dogs age and development.

Most breeders seem interested in a quick profit not the welfare of the animal, most of these breeders don't bother with papers, arn't interested in fit healthy puppies that live long lives, just the quick £150 they get in 7 weeks

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

So for example, the gene that gives a boxer dog a squashed looking face (hey, somebody must think this is desirable) could be right next to the gene which causes a faulty heart valve. You breed for the face, you get the dodgy heart. I'm not saying this is the exact case but something they breed for in boxers also causes a dodgy heart valve.

It was an example colin, not literal.
It was to highlight the fact some pedigree breeds are bred for looks not long health, not alsays the case with some breeds, depends on their purpose, mostly show dogs and show 'strains' are those that fall foul of a breeder after a rossette not a healthy dog that lives until it's 10 without any major vet bills

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve H wrote:

Also try this link...

Puppy Post

Sign up and you'll receive a starter pack which contains some useful documents and also (more importantly) a weekly email which runs chronologically with your Puppy's age and gives you hints and tips on things to look out for as your Puppy matures into a fully grown adult.

Be wary of specific 'puppy' food mr walthams designed the packaging to appeal to you, puppy just wants a bit of everything, working out whats edible. Make sure you vary her diet, not wildly especialy if you don't know what she's been brought up on.
Using only one brand or type of food will mean you end up with a 'fussy' dog and make mr Walthams very happy.

Bearing in mind the puppy pack is from pedigree it's very geared towards all their products...

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two boxers, lovely temperment and very playful, great with kids and so on. We bred one of them twice and kept one of it's first litter, who must be 8 or 9 now. The mother was put down last year due to cancer, which I hear is very common in older Boxers. Lovely dogs though.

10 pence Short
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:38 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/TheTrumptonRiots/hearseespeak-1.jpg

Proper Working dogs that are also pets, these three work 2-3 times a week this time of year.

Take them for a walk and if there's water anywhere near they're in it! Muddier the better. Thirsty? Paddle in the puddle until it's very Murky, then drink!

Middle one is the Mother of the other two, couldn't decide which one of the eight to keep. So two it was. She goes crazy for Rabbits where we holiday in the summer, her daughters aren't too bothered, it's their rest season!

Spaniels are great dogs.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Steve H"]The questions that you're asking are relatively basic and you really should have done your homework before purchasing something that WILL change your life - sometimes I despair about people who buy Pets on a whim.quote]

If you have read what i said through out the thread We have been talking about getting a puppy for 2 years. Had to wait till we had the accomadation for the pup and conditions where right. They where and it was the right time, so i didnt decide on a whim thanks. Thanks for the rest of the info anyway but i am not a sort of person who just takes dogs in and mostreats them ffs like some had made out here. I already have two cats and they are very well looked after, there groomed every day,taken to the vets alot and feed the best, Missy also will get the best treatment. As i dont have children and dont think i can have any these are my children.

Someone asked what dog was getting fed, pedigree chum. I was told that was crap food by the boy in the pet shop but bf bought it as vet said differant. Anyone know what the best food is? cost dont matter, it never does when it comes to my pets anyway.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 pence Short wrote:
https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/TheTrumptonRiots/hearseespeak-1.jpg

Proper Working dogs that are also pets, these three work 2-3 times a week this time of year.

Take them for a walk and if there's water anywhere near they're in it! Muddier the better. Thirsty? Paddle in the puddle until it's very Murky, then drink!

Middle one is the Mother of the other two, couldn't decide which one of the eight to keep. So two it was. She goes crazy for Rabbits where we holiday in the summer, her daughters aren't too bothered, it's their rest season!

Spaniels are great dogs.

sounds about right Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Meg used to launch herself off the highest part above a pond and vanish under the water, resurfacing later while roxie circled round paddling looking for meg to resurface so she could mug her Laughing

Your two pups are alot bigger than the bitch, did you use a stud dog or your own? Is he still alive and kicking? Our stud dog is 13 now so we're looking for a large working spaniel in about a years time...

Simple

10 pence Short
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:05 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used a stud my Dad liked the look of on a shoot he beats for. The dogs owner was surprised that we wanted two matings a couple of days apart I think, Seemed to think they knew how it was done as he had sired 3 other pups(total), then Brit has 8 for her first litter.
Quite proud!

bennett211085
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:49 - 20 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dog Very Happy

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful dog bennette Thumbs Up

Bully27
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:59 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ you can HAVE my dog if you want..literally!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5