Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Travelling to london on my 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

matthab
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:19 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Travelling to london on my 125 Reply with quote

Hi

This weekend i MAY go to london (kings langley to be accurate) from Powick (near worcester) on my YBR125. The bike has only done 550miles going in for its first service during this week. AA road maps worked it out to be 102.3miles.

I have a route planned, (cant display it duo to no sites able to give me a working link) it wont be on motorways and my dad said he would follow me in his car, as im off to see some old mates while he see's the familly.

Is there anything i need to remeber or take note of before i do this?

Matt

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your oil is topped up to max (You will be working it hard on fast roads) and do a general safety check of the whole machine, chain nice and lubed etc.

Brim the tank as well, I doubt you will have to fill up Smile

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:49 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a padlock/chain.

Wrap up well.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first advice is to wrap up well. I traveled from Portsmouth to Brighton (50 odd miles) so not far, but hell the cold really hit me after 20 miles. I had two pairs of jeans on, slim coat,with another semi big coat and a waterproof coat. The cold still got me.
I ended up getting to Brighton sitting on my 125 and waiting untill I could feel my knees again.
I brought a 2nd hand pair of Dainese textile trousers off Ebay for £20 squid to go over my jeans. Done the job.

2nd - Enjoy the ride Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 11:06 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be reluctant to take a break whenever you feel you need one.

matthab
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:19 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to get the bike into service this week and ill ask them to make sure its fit to do the trip.

Ill be wearing T-shirt, a top, think sking flease and textile jacket with the lining in.

For trousers ill be wearing jeans the textiles with the lining in.

Stiffler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 15 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey thats alot of clothing!

If you get easily cold then go ahead, but if your textiles are anywhere near as warm as mine I think that may be over kill! Personally I'd loose the jeans and the fleece. But obviously I don't know how good your kit is or how warm a person you are.

Will you have a rucksack on or a top box to store excess gear in if you're too warm??

Hope you have a good journey. Personally I get pretty sore on my YBR after about 60 miles so I really do recommend a couple of stops to loosen up, maybe get a warm drink or food. I'd also keep a close eye on the weather, atm they're predicting more strong winds and probaby don't want to do 100 miles+ if it's anything like last week.

PS: if you do go Good luck and hope you have a wicked time!

matthab
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:24 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh just saw about the storms, so im gonna sit tight and see what happens.

I have a 20 mile cummute to evesham on friday so that should give me a indictation of what the weathers gonna be like.

But if i do go i Hope it will be alot of fun as the roads ill be going down will be fun!

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 00:42 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the clothing remember your feet and hands. For the feet wear 2 pairs of socks and good boots. An alternative is to wear one pair and some of the gortex oversocks as these wil keep feet dryer as well if wet (doesn't have to be rain, spray can be just as bad).

Gloves as good as you can get. I swear by my Hein Gericke Pathan 2 finger ones in winter Thumbs Up If you're stuck I've heard wearing the plastic gloves petrol stations have for diesel under your gloves can help if wet.

Don't forget a decent buff or similar round the neck. Nothing tires and/or distracts more on a long trip than worrying about draughts and how your body parts are feeling.

The problem with cold on a bike is that it's not a sudden thing but creeps up and gets into your bones. Force yourself to stop and warm up. Take plenty of liquid as well (bottled water, flask, whatever).

Also don't be afraid of wearing thermal leggings and top. Real men understand Very Happy Those fashion conscious ones just get cold Wink

After all that remember, as said, enjoy the trip.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 17 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your exhaust it on tightly Lost mine 3/4 of the way to Brighton once Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and avoid fast roads.. I did plymouth to exeter (50 miles and avoided A38 as much as possible) and the little motorway stretches I did were horrible. Times like that make you wish you had a bigger bike! Also sitting at 9-10k rpm (redline) and only just breaking 65mph is not good for a 125 especially mine as its a 2-stroke.

Dont forget to check your tyres before you go!

have fun Mr. Green

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

King's langley is more or less just off the M25 so it's not too far compared to central london! Well that's pretty much irrelevant because everywhere is pretty much shady Rolling Eyes Wink. Disk lock at least!

I caught pneumonia over christmas by being an absolute twat and riding from eastbourne to london at 8PM when it was foggy, wearing nothing but my Cold Killers thermal top and long johns, kidney belt, 2 piece leathers with thermal insert and my paddock jacket (A* T dyno). Cover your neck, and a kidney belt is a very good investment. I can't stress enough how important it is to keep the tips of your body warm. Don't be over ambitious as to how quick you can do your journey, i realised trying to average 80mph through the frosty fog was a stupid idea regardless of how questionably safe i thought it was.

But fortunately for you the weather is somewhat warmer now.

Your bike should handle the miles easily, just double check on tyre pressures and chain tension and you'd be OK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:34 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah lots of layers of clothes is key
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1