Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nice road, high water makes dam waterfall, heated grip prob

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:02 - 20 Jan 2007    Post subject: Nice road, high water makes dam waterfall, heated grip prob Reply with quote

Today three of us met up for a rideout to a road we like.

The road is between Newtown and Llandrindrod Wells in Wales.

map link

It goes along a hillside and follows the contours and so is a nice winding road. Its hard to know exactly what makes the road so good. Maybe its the good surface, the width of the road, the lack of side roads, the lack of villages, the lack of traffic.

It starts off with really tight twisty bits and then opens up into long fast bends with plenty of visibility.

Normally I dont ride fast, but the road is so good and feels so safe that even I am tempted to open it up a bit.

Its great for learning to push it a bit.

The weather was lovely most of the day. Bright and clear.

We ended up going into the elan valley too, and the high water levels turned the dam of the reservoir into a waterfall.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=43761

The week before last we went to Church Stretton, and I had wished I had a camera to capture the little drama of Nath (THC) having to get his bandit started after leaving the heated grips on when we were in the pub.

He tried bumping it, but then went off with matt to buy some jump leads.

There was a repeat of this little drama this week, and Nath let me take a pic of his attempt to use wire instead of buying another set of jump leads.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=43762

He did buy some more jump leads in the end.

We were a bit cold by the end of the day, but it was a good day out.

In future, every time we stop, i will remind nath to turn off his grips, and he will bring along one of his pairs of jump leads. Smile Although he has mentioned the possibility of getting a relay and rewiring the grips so they cant be left on.

Matt was loving his thundercat as he has passed his test recently and had an rs125 before.

After trying matts thundercat last week, nath now wants a fazer again.

Nath put us to shame with his riding skills, on his less powerful bike.

But me and matt werent gonna try too hard to keep up as Nath is a bit of a nutter at times.

Although i had a bit of a dodgy moment overtaking a landrover.

The great road got the better of my normally cautious nature.

Last edited by colin1 on 18:52 - 29 Jan 2007; edited 7 times in total

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:09 - 20 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: Nice road, high water makes dam waterfall, heated grip p Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

It goes along a hillside and follows the contours and so is a nice winding road. Its hard to know exactly what makes the road so good. Maybe its the good surface, the lack of side roads, the lack of villages, the lack of traffic.

Read: its fucking ace! Wink

Quote:

The week before last we went to Church Stretton, and I had wished I had a camera to capture the little drama of Nath (THC) having to get his bandit started after leaving the heated grips on when we were in the pub.

He tried bumping it, but then went off with matt to buy some jump leads.

There was a repeat of this little drama this week, and Nath let me take a pic of his attempt to use wire instead of buying another set of jump leads.

Whistle

Quote:

Nath put us to shame with his riding skills, on his less powerful bike.

But me and matt werent gonna try too hard to keep up as Nath is a bit of a nutter at times.

Very Happy I could listen to that all day! Laughing

Had a great time, just shame about the temperature. Ill wear an extra pair of socks next time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 20 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: Nice road, high water makes dam waterfall, heated grip p Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
After trying matts thundercat last week, nath now wants a fazer again.

Eh?

Nice read Colin.

Now get back to Colwall.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:55 - 20 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer as a sportier winter bike to replace my bandit, and a new Daytona 675 for... well breaking the law I suppose... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:09 - 20 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

your gonna spend a lot more time stood at the side of the road waiting for us to catch up if you get one of those

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:27 - 20 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gives me more chance to smoke... need a slower bike then. Laughing

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:10 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed, the date on the camera is out.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:33 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think it is

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 06:18 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks like lovely place to ride.

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, the picture of the dam is amazing. Looks like the drought is over!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:29 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an 8mega pixel pic of it if anyone wants.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:31 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a closer shot of the dam.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=43790

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know next time you're in Wales Very Happy I fancy a blast Very Happy

By the way, on my NT650 the grips are wired up so they turn off with the ignition, I think they are cut into the rear brake light circuit or something?!

T

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:13 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will mate.

Im just planning to get a relay and wire it into the rear break switch for the actuator. Will be job jobed once it arrives.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:57 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Let me know next time you're in Wales Very Happy I fancy a blast Very Happy

By the way, on my NT650 the grips are wired up so they turn off with the ignition, I think they are cut into the rear brake light circuit or something?!

T

funnily enough, i was thinking of doing north wales for a change at some point, as some blokes at work were talking about how good it is for bikes

llangollen, snowdonia, horse shoe pass etc

i think i went somewhere around there with maurice's rideout last year. lake bala anyway

we'll let you know if we plan anything, and we can meet up somewhere

might have to wait until the days get longer, or until we get better at early starts

EDIT

just checked on the map, and its no further than elan if dont take the scenic route, so longer days or early starts arent necessary

Last edited by colin1 on 01:27 - 23 Jan 2007; edited 1 time in total

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:21 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin wrote:
Good stuff, the picture of the dam is amazing. Looks like the drought is over!

i think hose pipe bans are more about water companies not fixing their leaks than a real shortage of water Smile

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 00:24 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
llangollen, snowdonia, horse shoe pass etc

i think i went somewhere around there with maurice's rideout last year. lake bala anyway

Yeah we did all those, sometime we'll have to do some of the other good routes around there when they're not affected by bank holiday traffic.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:25 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

another time, i went with pheonix and he took the back roads up from shrewsbury, to bala which was good

didnt go as far as the ride with maurice tho.

on the maurice rideout, i was going a bit fast for my abilities, so I dont remember so much about it, as i was concentrating on not coming off, and not getting too far behind Smile

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 15:18 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you're ever up my way. BCF pintage !

And im thinking of bringing my bike up after easter, so can go for a ride.

Im in bangor, right by anglesey, just past snowdonia.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 18:50 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile sounds good Smile

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:19 - 29 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dads old Samara blew up in bangor! Laughing

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 30 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not come down south a bit Colin Razz best roads are down our way Wink

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 30 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome road that, love it.
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 30 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ram_doom wrote:
Why not come down south a bit Colin Razz best roads are down our way Wink

You just want to meet the legend.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1