Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clinical trials, anyone else done them? How risky are they

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Clinical trials, anyone else done them? How risky are they Reply with quote

Quote:
• A free medical check-up
• Compensation for your time and contribution to travelling expenses. The amount of compensation paid per study depends on the inconvenience caused to the volunteer and the length of stay in the unit. You can usually expect around £125 for a 24 hour overnight stay and £40 per further visit

https://www.lcg-bioscience.com/index.html

They advertised in my local rag today.

I'm considering it, anyone else done them? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. What's the worst that could happen..?

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/gallery/albums/userpics/25981/normal_elephant_man.jpg

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could end up loking like your avatar . or u could die!

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:09 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did them many years ago. Were great Thumbs Up Easy money. There are some trials where they don't actually test drugs on you, I did sleeping studies, for instance. Getting paid to sleep Laughing

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 22:13 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you get to the stage of testing drug's on human subjects they have gone through a very rigourous and lengthy testing procedure, usually 2-3 years at least. Although as noted it can and does go wrong in some rare cases.

I would have no qualms about doing them if I needed to/had the time. Only really an option if your a student. A normal job, even part-time will earn you more as there is a cap on the amount that can be paid out to people who don't mind having test's done on them.

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

£140 seems abit crap if you ask me. Those people who did the trial that went wrong gots £thousands.

If it was me, I'd want much more than that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 23:36 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a limit to how much can be payed to a person volunteering in a drug's trial.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

From working in pharmacy and doing a couple, here's the advice I'd offer...

Stay away from:

Phase I studies (first time drug has been tested on humans),

Studies testing psycho-active drugs (depression/anxiety etc.). However, many studies - even for drugs like painkillers - will want to mix it with alcohol and an anti-anxiety drug at some point.

Studies testing toxicity (increase dose to see what the 'safe' limit is)

Only go to a place you trust (i.e. when you go for screening it looks dodgy, walk away)

The good ones:

Sleep studies (usually good money, but can be difficult to get on - they want 'perfect' sleepers)

Studies testing a slightly stronger does of a drug already on the market.

Side notes - they're a good way to make money, but can be tedious - I did a 10 day sleep trial, non-stop: I felt like I'd sold my soul and 'owned'. 'Compensation' (you don't get 'paid' to do them) is calculated from duration of trial, level of discomfort (canula, electrodes etc.) etc so more money = harder time.

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does nobody remember the six people that almost died last year when a clinical trial went wrong???

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4808836.stm

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:26 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimbo wrote:
Does nobody remember the six people that almost died last year when a clinical trial went wrong???

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4808836.stm

Yes. I also remember not reading about the hundreds of thousands of other tests that went precisely to plan and resulted in good datum and a pay packet for the human lab rats.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 14:00 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Phase I studies (first time drug has been tested on humans)

Arent phase 1 studies only carried out on patients who are suffering from the disease/ill, or am I thinking of phase 3 and have them backwards?

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Quote:
Phase I studies (first time drug has been tested on humans)

Arent phase 1 studies only carried out on patients who are suffering from the disease/ill, or am I thinking of phase 3 and have them backwards?

Yea, I think it is Phase III when those who are actually ill get involved...where they test it in a randomised controlled trial (RCT). Phase I trials involve a small number of healthy subjects, to guage toxicity.

Edit: Can't remember for sure but I think most drugs have to be tested on healthy participants before they're let loose on ill people.

And again: Now I'm a bit confused, looks like ill people also get involved in Phase II...

Either way, best to stay away from trials where they're specifically increasing doses and stick to RCTs comparing a pre-tested 'safe' dose against placebo and/or its major market competitor.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 23:31 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Edit: Can't remember for sure but I think most drugs have to be tested on healthy participants before they're let loose on ill people.

And again: Now I'm a bit confused, looks like ill people also get involved in Phase II...

Thanks, I had phase one and phase 3 mixed up.

Some drugs go directly to phase 2. I beleive this is when they use them on terminally ill patients only though. And only if they are consenting adult's. Not sure whether they are allowed to get consent from family member's in some circumstances, and for kid's depends on the age I beleive.

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

mmmmm, you could develop an intense headache before losing coniousness and falling into a deep coma. Your head could swell to the size of a balloon causing a national outrage. After months of recovery your hands and feet will eventually have to be amputated after which you will face a long and stressfull battle for compensation.

Go for it! Wink

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

mmmmm, you could develop an intense headache before losing coniousness and falling into a deep coma. Your head could swell to the size of a balloon causing a national outrage. After months of recovery your hands and feet will eventually have to be amputated after which you will face a long and stressfull battle for compensation.

Go for it! Wink

faithless75
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy who applied for something similar a good few years back. He got a letter in return saying sorry, we're unable to use you for our research as you have tested positive for HIV Shocked
Changed his life Exclamation

oddkid
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:01 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fiancee flat out forbid me to even think about it.

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 23:18 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a trial when I was a student a few years back.
I got paid £1200 to take a vitamin pill for 6 months.....easy money. Very Happy

The advise byke95 has given is very useful and I would take it on board.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

faithless75 wrote:
I know a guy who applied for something similar a good few years back. He got a letter in return saying sorry, we're unable to use you for our research as you have tested positive for HIV Shocked
Changed his life Exclamation

Well, that must surely be a good thing! He could have passed the virus on unwittingly! Feel sorry for him, but.

My cousin, a haemophiliac died of AIDS, got it from blood transfusions Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1