Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bikes removed from shipwreck!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:48 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Bikes removed from shipwreck! Reply with quote

Theres been 200 containers washed up on the shore and 100's of people taking stuff including BMW bikes!!! From BBC News:

"Around 50 BMW motorbikes were carried off the beach last night," he added.

Gareth Topping told BBC News he had pulled one of the motorbikes out of a container.

"It took about eight to 10 of us to lift each one out. As each one came out the front wheels were put on, then they were taken down to the beach and over the cliffs," he said.

Other products taken away included exhaust pipes, steering wheels and beauty cream, PC Speariett added. "

read more here:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6287457.stm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

And good on them too. Just wish I was closer or I'd be there Very Happy
Someone reported a Land Rover had been taken, and a photo on the BBC shows a few cars in the containers.

Lovely bike too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:01 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
And good on them too. Just wish I was closer or I'd be there Very Happy
Someone reported a Land Rover had been taken, and a photo on the BBC shows a few cars in the containers.

Lovely bike too!

Yeah too right! Looks liek the bikes were brand new too as they had to put them together first!!! Lucky buggers, i wonder if they will get to keep them?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police have said something along the lines of 28 days to report?
The bikes I hear are unregistered. Finders Keepers, Loosers Weepers Wink

Anyone got a van? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:06 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! unregistered definatly but still stamped with serial numbers and things, i bet they have to return them!

Still nout to stop u hacking it round the carparks beforehand Very Happy

grandmaster
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

woman on news said the company that owns them would have to pay a salvage fee to the people that took them off the beach and told the police.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just said that 'People have no problem signing the forms as its highly unlikely that the owner will want the item/s back.

Sooooooooooo Might plan a visit when the next lot gets droped!

grandmaster
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Also just said that 'People have no problem signing the forms as its highly unlikely that the owner will want the item/s back.

Sooooooooooo Might plan a visit when the next lot gets droped!

they'll secure the beach soon

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:29 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandmaster wrote:

they'll secure the beach soon

I agree, although surounding beachs and the like will still throw stuff up! Really what you want to do is hire a small tug and wait in the bay for the containers to fall off! Razz

grandmaster
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out with the scuba gear i think Laughing

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 21:08 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW know the bikes on the boat, so their frame numbers will all be registered as stolen by tomorrow anyway.

Not really worth it, you'd never be able to register it.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ship spills most of its load the containers can end up anywhere. South coast is huge. They prolly will shut the beach, but the beach is quiet long and to cover that amount of area Id like to see then try and stop people.
Still worth a visit tho IMO if your close enough.

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
BMW know the bikes on the boat, so their frame numbers will all be registered as stolen by tomorrow anyway.

Not really worth it, you'd never be able to register it.

I don't think they can report them stolen can they? Salvage rights are very old laws that are still in force. If you find something after a shipwreck and you salvage it, it then legally belongs to you I believe.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:29 - 22 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, merchant shipping act of 1995 says that they're breaking the law by taking or concealing anything washed up.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6287047.stm

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

its only theft if they dont report that they have it. I cant see any company going round to each of the many thousands of homes asking for their goods back. They will just claim on the insurance as lost at sea or something. Look out for many bmw bike parts on ebay soon!
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

alien.46.uk
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:52 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW wont bother reporting as stolen or anything because they have full right to claim it all back on insurance. They could they wanted, but then the insurance wouldn't pay up as quick as then they'd have to try and get them as they know the rough location of them all and that'd involve the police at a guess ...

If only i was down there, damn damn and double damn ... used to go there every few months too Rolling Eyes

Oh well, does anyone know if they were sealed containers, so would of the sea water got in there? I noticed the pic of one with all its lights on etc so im guessing it must of been sealed?

Luke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 14:13 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

legally they have to report anything the find and register it in order to claim salvage rights, problem is once thats done the owner (the maritime insurers in this case) will have the right to claim the goods back as long as they can prove ownership.

And if the goods arnt given back the person who found them can end up going down for a stretch

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive that if the owner wants the good back, they have to pay the salvage person money too?
Some were sealed, many going with bolt cutters Laughing

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:41 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pictures, the last one says it all really, police watching and powerless to do anything.

https://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,783241,00.jpg

https://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,783380,00.jpg

https://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,783258,00.jpg

https://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,783062,00.jpg

https://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,782877,00.jpg

https://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,782676,00.jpg

https://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,782894,00.jpg

https://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,783129,00.jpg

alien.46.uk
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:45 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel so annoyed i wasn't there especially as im starting to look for my first "big bike" for hopefully in 5 months i can get off the 125 Razz ...

And a BMW 1200 would of been a Great start Laughing

Luke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bigwill
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:37 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSOOO wanted to be there, i fookin love the F800ST and it aint even out yet and some lucky sod has got one!!

Bugger lol.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 11:30 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't hear it myself, but my mum tells me it was on the news that they've roped the area off and are arresting anyone trying to get to the containers.

The same news item apparently had a Swedish woman who was emigrating to Portugal, who said she was watching TV and saw some clips of the "salvaging", when she recognised some of the stuff a bloke was rumaging through - it was her possessions and heirlooms she had put into a container. Her stuff was scattered around the beach.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:47 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it me or does it look like they screwed the front fairing putting it like that on the back of the tractor?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1