Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My gut (again)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 17:52 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: My gut (again) Reply with quote

Ok, quite simply.....

I've cut out bread, chocolate, crisps, anything that's really fatty and treat like....

Been doing gym 2-3 times a week, varied exercise which has improved my fitness. I feel better, i have become more toned, my arms and legs are solid and it's nice to see something happening.

My gut has gone no where Shocked WTF....it's still the same size, or thereabouts.....why isnt it going!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:55 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: My gut (again) Reply with quote

Work out how many calories you are taking in, take in less.

Do remember that if you're doing lots of sit-ups, this will help bulk up your mid-rif, which will still be covered by a layer of fat.

Just a poke a finger (/arm) in and see how far it goes - if I've been doing decent exercise and haven't got too much weight on for me, it's very noticeable compared to the opposite.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

every time yuo feel the compulsion to post on BCf do 10 situps

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:

He'd Break his Back... Shocked

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR-AD wrote:
Simple wrote:

He'd have a toned tum tho..

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 02:41 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: My gut (again) Reply with quote

killa wrote:

My gut has gone no where Shocked WTF....it's still the same size, or thereabouts.....why isnt it going!!!!

I have the same problem, just keep at it Thumbs Up

Someone said its something to do with stress Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:00 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: My gut (again) Reply with quote

NSR-AD wrote:
Simple wrote:

PMSL!!! Laughing

McGee wrote:
I have the same problem, just keep at it Thumbs Up

Someone said its something to do with stress Neutral

Can someone back this one up, interesting concept, I don’t know how that works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 10:03 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can someone back this one up, interesting concept, I don’t know how that works.

Never heard of it, although if stress causes you to eat more then yes. Have you stopped drinking alchohol and fizzy drinks? Stopped eating any form of takeaway, microwave dinners, pre-packaged stuff?

You may be eating better than you were but your not expending more calories than you intake, as G mentioned.

Also results arent instantaneous.

Also what do you do at the gym? Doing nothing but low rep free weights to put on muscle won't contribute to loosing fat anywhere near as well as jogging for 45 mins.

Also do some research into your optimum heart rate. The 220 rule or something. There is an optimum heart range for fat burning, that would most likely help.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 10:21 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bear in mind that exercsie teh builds muscle won't necessarily shift fat.

Changing a muscle's shape and physiology is down to the muscle fibres being torn and rebuilding, and rebuilding themselves in a way that best combats further damage. This is whyyou feel stiff and sore for a couple of days after strenuous exercise, it's the muscles rebuilding.

To shift a layer of fat, you need to do much more aerobic exercise. This is exercise where yo udo NOT get out of breath for prolonged periods. true aerobic exercise operates in the ATP cycle, where sufficient oxygen allows a complete cyclic conversion of energy.

exercising in the ADP cycle, where there's insufficient oxygen (ie you're out of breath, and I don't mean 'puffing a bit') and the muscles can't get enough oxygen to them, so the usual ATP cycle becomes a one way cycle to ADP and it stays there. (D = di, T = Tri, ie: ADP is lacking something that ATP normally has: oxygen) This results in a build up of lactic acid in the muscles. lactic acid isn't a byproduct of the ATP cycle, only the ADP cycle. If you're feeling 'pumped' and leaden, then yo're not operating aerobically.

Your best bet to shift fat quickly is to maximise the energy burn at aerobic rates, and minimise energy intake (but at a safe level, don't starve yourself). You'll quite possibly find you end up eating more, but still lose weight.

For all you proper sport scientists out there, I know this isn't 100% accurate and detailed, but I'm just trying to demonstrate the different effects of different exercise types.

in a nutshell.. stop trying to tone specific muscle groups, that won't burn fat nearly as efficiently as aerobic exercise. One of the most effective forms of that is cycling, swimming or long. brisk walks. Just don't push yourself so you end up puffing and panting.. if you get to that stage, you're no longer burning energy stores (fat) but operating on the muscles internal energy which is much smaller in quantity.

a

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 10:28 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been taking in around 1500 calories a day, 2000 is to maintain your weight for a man so less should help me.
I always have a bowl of cereal now in the morning and drink water all day.

I’m not drinking fizzy pop, I have the odd beer now and then which I know doesn’t help.
No crisps, and no chocolate bars.

I’m going to the gym at least twice a week, there I will stretch out for about 10 minutes, jog for 10 minutes at a decent pace and then run the rest of the time which is anything I can do really, say 5-10 minutes.
I don’t know how long I am supposed to be running to get some results but I’m usually knackered after 20 minutes.
I think perhaps I could carry on jogging for a longer period of time, I usually go 10 minutes and then go for the burn. lol
If you keep to around 160bpm heart rate you are at peak fat burning rate, any higher and that is cardio level.

After that I’ll do some pec-fly, and some leg exercises to cool down from running.
Then some sit ups, usually 5 sets of 10, then I do some stomach toning by lying flat and raising legs 6 inches to 45 degrees.
Then I usually get on the rower and do about 5 minutes fairly hard.
The finish with some weights.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:38 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go to the gym I try to do 2 lots of ten minutes of running/cycling/sking/rowingetc, then some weights to get my breath back, then another 2 lots.

Usually only manage 2 x 2 of the aerobic stuff, but some times extend it to 3 x 2.

Consider the exercise 'classes' - I went to 'body combat' for a bit - ok felt a bit out of place mostly, being the only bloke - but it is really good exercise and I'd prefer to be surrounded by lots of fit women jumping up and down than blokes Wink.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 13:24 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
Also do some research into your optimum heart rate. The 220 rule or something. There is an optimum heart range for fat burning, that would most likely help.

It's 220 - age = max heart rate, of which target heart rate is 70% of that. That doesn't take into consideration resting heart rate though, so you might be better using :-

resting heart rate + ((220 - age - resting heart rate) * 0.7)

For example, as a 40 year old, the first way would give me a target heart rate of 126 (220-40*0.7), but as I have a resting heart rate of about 70, the second gives me a target rate of 147 (70+((220-40-70)*0.7) - a difference of 21 bpm.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:57 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what your saying is Feef is, you can do longer excercises but slower pace. So jogging at a medium pace is the fat burner. Question

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:11 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
So what your saying is Feef is, you can do longer excercises but slower pace. So jogging at a medium pace is the fat burner. Question

correct.

The longer you can go, without running out of breath, but keeping your heart-rate up, the more energy you'll consume in the most efficient way possible.. and your body will start to burn the fat reserves to do that.

a

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The running is best. I managed to lose 13 KG in 3 months by running (I have since put it back on by NOT running)

(That was 7 miles 3/4 times a week - outdoors)

With maybe a game of squash once or twice a month

And I could eat and drink whatever I wanted.

Losing fat is all about aerobic exercise, and running is the most calorie burning of the lot.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:14 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
The running is best. I managed to lose 13 KG in 3 months by running (I have since put it back on by NOT running)

Losing fat is all about aerobic exercise, and running is the most calorie burning of the lot.

Cross country skiing is THE most efficient aerobic exercise, followed by road cycling then swimming. running and jogging come after that.

a

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 16:17 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So jogging at a medium pace is the fat burner.

As feef and shaggy have mentioned, yes. Follow what shaggy has mentioned if you wish to loose fat regarding your heart rate. I'd also agree with froggeh about jogging being the best aerobic exercise, assuming you warm up correctly which you seem to be.

Also try and do it for 30-45 minutes without eating first thing in the morning. You will obviously need to compensate for this stragiht after and during the rest of the day. This should eat into fat and not muscle, and won't be burning off energy from the breakfast you've just eaten. Though this is taking thing's to a slightly extreme level that you may not be itnerested in.

Also when are you looking at your 'gut'? If you looking at the end of an evening or after working out it will look more bloated due to carrying water and food. Naturally makes you more bloated.

Quote:
Cross country skiing is THE most efficient aerobic exercise, followed by road cycling then swimming. running and jogging come after that.

Have read about cross-country/nordic skiing, looks like quite good fun and the guys are seriously fit and healthy.
Got any info/evidence to back that up, not questioning you just would like to read. I've found running alot tougher than cycling due to all your organs bouncing about I beleive. I am fairly heavily into cycling and may just be adapted to it though.

EDIT:Also Killa there is an interesting technique which was posted on here which involves weight training to remove fat whilst increasing strength and also some aerobic ability, just weight stuff. Read some more up about it and seems worth a go if you don't enjoy jogging.

EDIT 2:Why have you cut out bread from your diet Killa?

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:
froggeh wrote:

a

I've read otherwise. I would say XCountry skiing is on a similar par, but road cycling and swimming wouldn't come close to the calorie burning per hour of running.

A quick google finds me this.
https://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm
https://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 16:32 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t mind jogging now actually, I thought it was horrible at first but it was for two reasons….

1, I wasn’t fit
2, I wasn’t planting my feet properly!

I actually find now I can jog and causes me no grief what so ever, I had never done a lot of running, there is a technique. lol
Thanks for all your input guys, it’s given me some goals to reach now and not just going for tremendous burn factor.

I haven’t found the thread with the weights technique, if someone finds it that would be great.
I really like swimming, I’m gonna try and get doing that again to mix it up a bit.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 16:35 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
EDIT 2:Why have you cut out bread from your diet Killa?

From what i hear, there's little you get from it, you can find it in healthier foods. The yeast expands in your stomach and stretches it, so you get hunger attacks and it bloats your stomach.

They have a cross trainer at the gym, i suppose that's going to be a good one.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:37 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
feef wrote:

a

I've read otherwise. I would say XCountry skiing is on a similar par, but road cycling and swimming wouldn't come close to the calorie burning per hour of running.

A quick google finds me this.
https://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm
https://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

There is, ironically, a slight difference between what is the most efficient, aerobically, and what burns the most fat. You're right that running burns more, but in terms of physiological efficiency, x-country skiing and cycling is better.

swimming, I admit I was wrong on.. however, swimming does offer one of the best allround workouts.

a

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 16:43 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From what i hear, there's little you get from it, you can find it in healthier foods. The yeast expands in your stomach and stretches it, so you get hunger attacks and it bloats your stomach.

Possibly, never read or head that personally.

However rather than remove bread from your diet I would eat wholemeal bread. Or if possible wholegrain (I don't like the texture so stick to wholemeal). Provides your body with lot's of nutrients and fibres which it needs.

I'd also be willing to question some of that data, don't have anything to back my arguement up but they say that more is being burnt than I was under the impression of for the cycling I do.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:

There is, ironically, a slight difference between what is the most efficient, aerobically, and what burns the most fat. You're right that running burns more, but in terms of physiological efficiency, x-country skiing and cycling is better.

swimming, I admit I was wrong on.. however, swimming does offer one of the best allround workouts.

a

Now there I don't disagree. Although not sure about the cycling. I used to do alot of mountain biking( nothing extreme), and it depends if you're doing much uphill work really. Running at at least 7-8 mph is about the best way I've found to lose weight, and for a youngish bloke that isn't a target that's difficult.

This may change in a couple of months when I move to Sweden (lots of oportunity for the nordic skiing for real)

Swimming is fantastic for zero impact, but my god is it fecking boring to do in a pool (much like running on a treadmill)

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:57 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting.

It's odd but I hate slow exercises. I feel like I have no progression as I like to pump quite hard. i.e I am 18 so I should be exercising with a heart rate of 140. But I go to the gym everyday and do 30 minutes on the bicycle and by the end my heart rate is about 155, so I must be going into anaerobic exercise?

But it doesn't add up, if your body is trying to get rid of lactic acid, surely that is using energy far longer after you have finished exercising?

Cause I don't just exercise to lose weight, I exercise to get fit. I want the stamina that is associated with getting fit. I have the sort of mentality that wants to improve myself. I have always been competitive. I wouldn't really want to revert back to brisk walking. I don't feel much of a difference in fitness or weight loss?

Bear in mind I am doing a specially adapted diet over the past 2 weeks of a calorie intake of 1000 a day. I don't know how much weight I have lost, but I am fitting into clothes a lot easier already.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:

But it doesn't add up, if your body is trying to get rid of lactic acid, surely that is using energy far longer after you have finished exercising?

Lactic Acid is to do with your oxygen debt after anaerobic exercise, I don't think it uses energy afterwards.

Edit for referance: Oxygen breaks down lactic acid.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2