Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Everready wrote:
Mr.Everready wrote:
I've always wondered with these big projects going over budget.

Why do they not get quotes and hold the building company to it ?

Looks like the question is still valid.

Cos when it all goes tits up, the contracter says "hey, it's going over-budget and we need an extra £2 Billion, if we don't get it we'll leave you in the lurch and with a shit load of egg on your faces, so cough up"

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seriously should have let the French have it Rolling Eyes
That money could have been spent on the NHS, just like that heap 'O shite they call the millenium Dome....what a crock of shit. Thumbs Down
Useless government.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 15:38 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012. \o/

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
2012. \o/
Word! Thank god it's grim up North, that way no one will know it's true beauty and stay away and let those Londoners foot the bill Laughing Razz Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:02 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Beijing games in 2008 have cost £20 billion so far. However that does include a whole new airport. Rolling Eyes
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:03 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cestrian wrote:
[
Cos when it all goes tits up, the contracter says "hey, it's going over-budget and we need an extra £2 Billion, if we don't get it we'll leave you in the lurch and with a shit load of egg on your faces, so cough up"

Yup.

And once they've screwed Jonny taxpayer, and all the fuss has died down, the political architects of all this will probably get executive directorships on the boards of the recipient companies.

Let France have the games!

It's a load of fuss over nothing, most of the country couldn't give a toss, and we can't afford it.

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 17 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And once they've screwed Jonny taxpayer" -

As sure as eggs are eggs.

I know I certainly wont be attending in any capacity. It's certain to be a target for terrorists.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 00:43 - 17 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cestrian wrote:

I know I certainly wont be attending in any capacity. It's certain to be a target for terrorists.

That's the final kick in the teeth, which will come just as we start to get over the shock of the bill we've been dicked with!

Perhaps they are building the threat into their budget calculations - no point in wasting all that money finishing off all these fancy buildings if someone is going to blow them all up!

I suspect the most popular and widespread attribute of these games will be the beatings/arrests/9mm slaps handed out to members of the arab-looking portions of our population who have the temerity to use public transport while carrying a bag.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 17 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cestrian wrote:
Can this government get anything right? Rolling Eyes

Well they sorted out the Millenium Dome for the Tories, perhaps they know it won't be their problem in 2012 Thinking

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 17:33 - 17 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did they sort it, exactly?

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 17 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Perhaps they are building the threat into their budget calculations" - Mr James.

Exactly what I was thinking as I watched Tessa Jowells(?) speech the other day. Not easy to let slip that extra money has been sidelined for the extra security required now that we have annoyed millions of potential terrorists.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
How did they sort it, exactly?

Alledgedly , Micheal Hesseltine knew the tories were fucked come electiontime the polls looked
REAL bad, so Hessletine played a dirty trick and gave a cast iron promise and said that if the
tories won the next election , they would built the best dome in the world , there was a open
top bus and some sort of demo/parade.

NL are just returning the favor, the polls look real bad for NL presently tories are 10 points ahead
=100ish majority,

Scum Blair/ Brown during his election camapaign which he know he'll lose will promise to
bring the circus to town the best ever which will bring out all the Jingoistic/patriotic tendancies in
people, it will go 1000% over budget (ie 200bn) , the Tories will agree to follow this promise also
NL are out of power , the 2 trillion (2000 bn) cost of the games does not happen on NL's watch
therefore the tories get the blame for it.

Much as NL got the blame for the dome.

Political face is almost as bad as the 1950s China communists who would tear up their rice fields to fake
crop yields (they would plant the rice into one field and claim a massive harvest per sq km which
would happen when the government inspector came) , 30-75 million people starved to death from
this face saving. (the exact figures are unknown as China split with the USSR around the same time
the USSR asked for all its loans back in spite).
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
30-75 million people starved to death
And these people could be deciding our fate and leading us into the future Surprised Thumbs Down
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2