Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Winter Riding!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigwill
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:52 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Winter Riding! Reply with quote

bbbrr its sodding cold at the moment, just thought id start i thread to see what people are doing to beat the cold. Im a fan of gettin a big bowl of porridge down ya neck and usin a set of oxford heated grips! haha.
And before anyone says it, dont just say "i use the car" Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:54 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: Winter Riding! Reply with quote

Decent clothing -
A BMW one piece textile suit I got for £40 does the job very well, along with warmer under layers and under gloves, neck warmer etc.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a kidney belt? , as long as the core it kept warm the body will use less blood from the fingers , Monday was cold about -1 , Tuesday was -4 , Today according to the CIS clock was -5 , but Tues+Wed I had ,me kidney belt on and my fingers didn't feel so frosty.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation This post contains elements of chav Exclamation

After a little hissy fit when the ZXR went, I sold all of my leathers leaving me with just summer gloves and a lid Shifty Embarassed

I have nt got round to buying more protective gear at the moment as money is a little tight so its just a pair of jeans, 'coat' with a fleece under it. Sure the hands get a little cold as they are summer ones, but thats biking Wink The coldest part that annoys me is the neck and face, so a neck sock or balaclava and its toasty as you like.

Now for the real chav part:

Even in just trainers and jeans, my feet and ankles are nt really that cold. Dont get me wrong, they are no where as warm as when they were in the old Sidi's, but, meh?

I have tried inner gloves and to be honest, a decent (or even cheap pair) of winter gloves will help no end. I have nt tried the heated bars, but not really my idea (dont know how to explain)

To help with windchill you could always wear waterproofs over your clothing Wink Thumbs Up

I think what I'm trying to say is:

Dress as the weather denotes Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:33 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i normally wear armoured cordura over office trousers and shirt

at the moment i wear tshirt under shirt, inner jacket, down body warmer,codura jacket, office trousers, cordura trousers, ski trousers

im a great beleiver in keeping the core warm, so hands dont feel cold

my lobster gloves are good though

Last edited by colin1 on 22:35 - 25 Jan 2007; edited 1 time in total

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:33 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close fitting silk under gloves work great for the hands just need to find mine Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duncanpage
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:46 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear winter warmers, vest, t-shirt, 2 pairs of thin socks, water-proof boots, leather trousers, leather jacket with inner wind-proof jacket zipped in, thinsulate kevlar water-proof leather gloves, oxford balaclava with chest piece to stop wind rushing into my jacket, & a scalf to try & stop the wind rushing up into my rubbish Caberg V2 helmet that fitted for the first few weeks until the padding some how shrunk (no i didn't wash it) and now it's loose & very loud!
I ride a gpz500s but at 6'1" the fairing doesn't offer me much protection. Despite this only my hands get cold (will try some oxford hot grips) and I get a headache from the rubbish helmet (will save for an Arai). Even in the rain & snow i don't get too cold. Wouldn't mind a flip up screen to take the worst of the rain off my head!

When will the good weather be back, shall i wait until next winter for my upgrades? I only passed my test on 9th Jan & i was on a 125 from August so it's my first winter!

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A two piece under suit, textile jacket & trousers with thermal linings zipped in... and possibly jeans & tshirt under the thermal linings too.
Two pairs of socks, Black Rain boots, a neck warmer, then either my thick winter waterproof gloves, or a pair of Cold Killer glove liners with my Alpinestars SP1 gloves over the top.
I also have heated grips on the bike if I need 'em but only used them once so far.

and @ duncanpage, it looks like you've got the same bike as mine... except mine is black with the fairing infills... and nowhere near as clean as yours

duncanpage
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:30 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 does my bike look too low at the back?
I know i'm heavy but i've had to adjust the rear shock until its at the bottom of the thread. It's last owner was a woman & I suspect she may have got a lowered shock fitted, or a lowering kit.
Are the oxford heated grips easy to fit? I'm very tempted to get some, my hands were raw when i got home this evening!

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:38 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a few strait 23*F (-5*C) nights here in the last week, and that's extremely cold for the San Joaquin valley, in which the majority of the country's oranges are grown.

Having to ride to work 'round half 'til dawn, I can confirm that that's fairly cold. A set of thermal bottoms and a hooded sweatshirt under my leather jacket and the only cold felt was in my hands and exposed areas of the face on my 20 minute jaunt to work.

At least it's not raining. Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kkmfo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:11 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: heating Reply with quote

heated grips never did it for me so I didn't bother getting them on my current bike.
but I can totally recommend this heated waistcoat.

https://www.exo2.co.uk/bodywarmer.html

Its got a rechargeable battery so no need to faff about connecting it to the bike (and getting a flat bike battery in the process).

comfortable to wear and the kidney heat provides great full body warmth - best bike gear I've bought by a mile.

bigwill
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:50 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

im wearing my akito (cheap but very cheerful) 2 peice suit with work shirt and big HUGE hoodie under that. 1 good pair of socks, alpinestars apex gloves (which RULE) an ALPINE BUFF and a buffalo ninja mask. Also with a rayte shitty Caberg V2 lid that fitted for a week n a bit then went all loose like an old transformers action figure.
I love my oxford heated grips, i kinda need then when going to work at either 5 30 or 7 AM. bloody cold at that time.
like i said at the beginning of the thread, get some porridge down ya. best thing ever to keep out the cold. haha

hard_on
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have some heated grips and i whare a helyhanson thermal top a norm jumper and my jacket for my legs i were some tights and a pair of cavalero jeans with a pair of sidi boots and im a snug as a bug in a rug

sagalout
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:27 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wear a polarneck jumper instead of a t-shirt (with textiles) and winter gloves instead of summer gloves.

Its really not that cold at the moment :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ratbag
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:51 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the heated grip wrap rounds are better than the standard heated grips and easy to remove in summer!!

drumwrecker
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:43 - 04 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pants and T shirt
Antifreeze full zip up top and Oxford equivelent tights.
Kidney belt (important for warmth and support)
Antifreeze neck warmer
Walking socks with Gortex socks over them. Warm and waterproof
Akito boots - cheap comfortable and warmish.
Frank Thomas fabric waterproof and lined trousers
Buffalo fabric waterproof jacket
Dayglo blouson jacket.
Frank Thomas Aqua gloves
AGV V-flyer helmet
Heated grips
Home made bar muffs.
£368 the lot.
Did 160 miles today and didn't get cold at all.
The most apreciated items are the muffs and the heated grips.
I would consider heated socks as my feet are the first to feel the cold.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 04 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only have bottom gear for the bike ATM

I use dianees thermals, from a previous pair of trews, plus jeans then HG textiles. Keeps me warm. Neck warmer a must for me, and a few coats untill I can afford a decent jacket. Oh an Aplinestar gloves Thumbs Up

shaba2000
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:54 - 05 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

vest-t-shirt-shirt-thin jumper-fleece-bering winter jacket with thermal padding removed..

work trousers-bering winter bottoms with thermal removed..

balaclava and scarf..

socks and boots..

the reaosn why i remove the thermals from the jacket and bottoms is because i took them out in summer and cant find where i put them Smile !

Gixajane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seperate bottom and top thin thermals
All in one jumpsuit
Leathers
Scarf
Liner gloves (which do help - ensure your hands are warm when you put them on or you'll never warn your hands up) and gloves

Because its cold we all need to make more trips to the toilet - its OK for you guys but its one hell of a hassle every time us gals neeed to go.

Leathers off, all in one, thermals then the obvious, after a sigh of releif its all back on again.....I ain't moaning because the alternative is leave the bike in the garage - no way!

GJ

SilvaRizla
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:38 - 05 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brave the cold, sore fingers soon aren't. However......

I always leave a gap in my visor, i like to hear whats going on around me and get very clostrophobic when its shut so it has to stay open. But, when the wind is REALLY cold, it make my eyes water like mad. Is there any way to beat this other than shut the visor?

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 09 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidi breeze blocker neck tube
dainese baker goretex jacket, with fleece underneath
alpinestars jet road goretex trousers with jeans underneath
alpinestars jet road goretex gloves
zamberlan goretex trainers, (sidi B2 gore boots on the shopping list)

and a 350 YPVS i built myself just for the winter Very Happy

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 03:39 - 11 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't get cold on the bike, normally this time of year I wear,

Buff
Triumph Textile Jacket (£40 at NEC)
T-shirt - Maybe a hoodie
Leather trousers - Maybe my Lidl textile trousers
Oxtar TCS Boots
Summer Gloves + innergloves

I also have Heated grips, I really don't find myself getting cold.

Weedy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 17 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilvaRizla wrote:
I just brave the cold, sore fingers soon aren't. However......

I always leave a gap in my visor, i like to hear whats going on around me and get very clostrophobic when its shut so it has to stay open. But, when the wind is REALLY cold, it make my eyes water like mad. Is there any way to beat this other than shut the visor?

I'm the same with the visor, what I did was visit the local Raleigh shop and bought some clear cycling glasses, they wrap around and really stop the wind getting in your eyes! Thumbs Up

SilvaRizla
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:03 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Good tip, thanks alot - I'll invest for next year

Matt06
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks ago when it was snowing I was supposed to be making a trip to my mates house about 20 miles away. Was quite fun on the 125 acutally Laughing . Nearly fell off quite a few times in heavy snow. Couldn't brake and a few times the back end skidded out but its all experience, first time in snow Cool .

https://img357.imageshack.us/img357/1130/0802071506cm3.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2