Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Italy & Greece trip- advice needed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Italy & Greece trip- advice needed Reply with quote

For ages (since the last trip basically) I've been dreaming of taking a touring trip down to the south of Italy and across to Greece. Its not really that ambitious, since I live in Nice very close to the Italian border, but I don't think I'll live here too much longer (hate my job, ready to leave) so I want to take the opportunity for a cool trip and enjoy the good things about being here while I can.

back in september I wrote:
Its a long way off, but sketchy plans are to head to Genova, down to Pisa, Florence, south to Rome and Naples then take a ferry from Bari across to Greece (I've always wanted to go to Athens and see the acropolis). Coming back, we could get a ferry straight to Venice, then either come back via Milan or venture into Croatia for a bit.

This is still the rough plan, although I'd like to take some time over the trip and really see the place, so we might ride down the west coast and back up the east, rather than taking the ferry direct to Venice from Greece. Nath said in a post ages ago (cheers) that the Amalfi coast road (just south of Naples) is amazing so thats on the list of roads to ride. Has anybody got any other brilliant road recommendations they could share? I read that the ducati road testers ride roads in the mountains around northern Italy, so I plan to investigate this further Smile
Also, because I want to make a long trip out of it I need to keep the costs down, so we'll camp for alot of it. Can you free camp easily/safely? any recommendations on how to keep costs down generally would be appreciated also.
What are the Italian police like? are there alot of speed traps? in France I've gotten used to being able to choose my own speed wherever, can you get away with this in Italy?

I'm not sure when we'll do it. I think April/May would be ideal, before tourist season and nice warm spring weather. But might end up doing it earlier depending on how things work out. As you can see its still at the initial planning stage, so any advice and recommendations are appreciated Thumbs Up

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 05 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

after further deliberation on this (don't all reply at once btw Razz ) we'll be focusing most of the trip on the Greek Islands.
I was calculating distances and listing places we wanted to stop the other night and we figure we can do Nice to Bari (via a few places and with lots of time to sightsee in Florence and Pompeii) in 6 days.

After that we take the ferry to Corfu, spend a day or so on the beach there and ride down through Greece into Athens (has anyone done this route? is there anything to see or should we just nail it down? how long should it take roughly?). After a day visiting Athens and the acropolis we'll ferry-hop around the major Greek islands with the bike for a week or so... Has anyone done this? are the islands bike friendly?

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 05 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the ferries to the Islands can be quite expensive in the summer, and busy as well so you may have to book them in advance.

Away from the coast and historical sites, Greece is not really geared up to tourists. For instance camping grounds can only be found at the larger archeological attractions. Also bare in mind that it's not a very modern country - There are only two cities apart from Athens, and neither of them are very pleasant. The other major towns have nothing really to offer tourists, and the only nice small towns are those next to nice stretches of the coast, or to the historical/archeological sites. English is very widely spoken though.

The historical sites I visited were: Olympia, Mystras, Korinth, Mycinae and Meteora. Delphi also looked worth stopping at.

I wouldn't bother with Pomeii, ridiculously geared up to mass-tourism with Neon signs allover the streets nearby.

Think the ferry to Greece from Brindisi is meant to be quite a bit cheaper than Bari if you're trying to economise.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cheers for the advice.

We're planning on going in spring to miss the peak season, so I hope its not too busy. A Greek friend at work said that going in May would be ideal. Based on your advice I think we'll just nail the trip from Corfu down to Athens in one go then, Lampros (aforementioned Greek guy) reckons it should take 7 hours so I figure we can do it in less on the bike.

Also yeah I guess Pompeii is a big tourist trap, but I have to see it. The same with the Acropolis. I used to study ancient history and I did a module on the acropolis (its history and construction) and a module on Pompeii- at the time of the exam I knew the place in detail, down to maps of the town layout and which buildings were which, so since then I've always planned to eventually visit the place for real.

Thanks for the tip about the ferries, I'll look into that Thumbs Up

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
Also yeah I guess Pompeii is a big tourist trap, but I have to see it. The same with the Acropolis. I used to study ancient history and I did a module on the acropolis (its history and construction) and a module on Pompeii- at the time of the exam I knew the place in detail, down to maps of the town layout and which buildings were which, so since then I've always planned to eventually visit the place for real.

If that's your thing, you'll definitely want to visit the much better preserved and smaller Herculaneum, a couple of km from Pompei, in a town called Ercolano. Also, the archaelogical museum in Naples has most of the stuff found in both sites. In all these places, leave your bike in a public/hotel carpark and chain it to something solid, as otherwise you won't have a bike to come to. Naples accounts for more bike thefts than any other place in Europe.

If you're heading down to the Lakes, check out the Ducati and Guzzi factories. Ducati are in Bologna and have free tours twice a day (you must book in advance) and Guzzi are by Lake Como in Mandello del Lario.

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:29 - 28 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:

After that we take the ferry to Corfu, spend a day or so on the beach there and ride down through Greece into Athens (has anyone done this route? is there anything to see or should we just nail it down? how long should it take roughly?).

Some of the scenery that we saw on the train was great (train was between Thesolonikki in the north and Athens). If you had the option of riding on the east coast then you would see it.

Not sure about the direct route from Corfu, but you could skirt just south of the Albanian border and down the E75, but then again, don't take my word for it. Do a bit more research. Could be that what I have seen is the worst part of a very beautiful country more towards the west.

But please, try to see the coast. The train from Patras (ferry port we arrived at) to athens was simply amazing. At times the railway line was metres away from unspolit beaches without any tourists in site. I was stuck in there with LOADS of other students sat all piled in and out of the windows we could see this shimmering sea just metres away. I'd never been to Greece before so it was a spectacular sight to see such great sea, but with hills and cliffs and islands etc. Looking on google maps, the E65 follows that route. not sure if it'll be as coastal as the train line though?

So yeah... Greece is more there for the scenery than the 'tourist spots' in my eyes. Enjoy it though!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1