Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Run Down To Spain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

cpmedic
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:49 - 11 Apr 2007    Post subject: Run Down To Spain Reply with quote

Im looking for some advice and guidance on a run down to Spain.
A friend and I are looking to ride our bikes down from Calais, France (nice biking roads if possible) through the Mid- Pyrenees and onto the spanish coast around the Barcelona area.

Our wives will be flying out to meet us there and then after a short holiday the girls will be flying home to the UK and the boys get to play again on the way home.

Help needed with, a good route down and a rough idea of timescale to do it, ie: 2 / 3 days.

Any feed back welcome.

Many thanks, cpmedic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom75
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get through France as quick as poss! I found them to be rude and arrogant to foreigners (not all, but for most it seems a national trait) Sad and their driving totally sucks!

Whereas the Spanish I found to be lovely people, hospitable and (generally) friendly! Very Happy

France is a big country, so if you want to get to Spain, use the peage.

Not too expensive for bikes; but watch out, cause they time you between kiosks, so not too fast!!

Two days, three max should see you comfortably down to Spain.

Travelling through Aux Le Thermes (if memory serves), which has a lovely natural spa in the centre of town, and then over the top, through Andorra; it's a lovely bit of road.

Have fun! Thumbs Up

krebsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 12 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watch out for the nutty andorran drivers.. Smile.

#the most direct route via andorra is: Barca the head north for the E9 then the 260 to le sau d'urgell, or right and round the back for Pas de la casa.

My favourite route around that neck of the woods is:

Reus to Andorra:

Reus
montblanc
lleida
artesa de segra
ponts
oliana
le sau d'urgell
Andorra.

Leave Andorra via Pas de la casa then down through Foix and Ax le thermes, on to Tolouse and then onwards to Calais.. Smile

If you add Barcelona to Reus (via the coast roads past Vilanova and Tarragona) then you've a nice 5 or 6 hour trip (took me 4.5 hours Reus to Andorra in a deseil Astra). Much better than doing Barcalona and then up the motorway (through the toll booths and massive roadworks there at the moment) to andorra, though a hell of a lot less direct.

Stop in at Caldea (the hot thermal spa) in Escaldes in Andorra. Can't miss it, it's got a huge glass spire on top.. Smile well worth the visit to laze around in the hot water.. Smile

K.

1280 x 1024.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1