Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Food on the go

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Food on the go Reply with quote

When riding a long distance tour or whether you are visiting lots of attractions in one day, you need food on the go. With motorcycle touring, you need to keep the size and weight down on everything because of the limited space you have. Now, I have recently been thinking of foods that you could take that are high in energy, slow releasing and small in size that can be kept for more than one day. So far I have come up with flapjack, ceral bars and peperami.

Anyone else have any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:37 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread a while back about cooking on your engine/exhaust. Worth a read if only for amusement sake.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=61795&highlight=bacon+exhaust

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 14:58 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Army issue 24 hour ration pack food, some of the meals are quite nice.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:07 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pasta, some sauce containing meat and a compact stove. Can also buy vegetables while on the move etc.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:23 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the smallest stove you ever did see out of a couple of drinks cans. Runs on Meths/alcohol and is surprisingly effective. Stand the pot on three tent pegs.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/stove.jpg

Keef
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunday ride out 200miles. or say edinburgh to donigton
stick a few bananas in the tank bag

releases energy slowly through out the ride

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:46 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

While cheaper unleaded petrol stoves aren't particularly small, the advantage is you don't have to carry any other bottles of fuel and you won't ever run out of a fuel source. Mine cooked a good half of my meals for three weeks last summer.

Save space elsewhere by limiting the amount of clothes you take, they are very easily washed as most continental campsites have clothes washing facilities.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:14 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

boiled eggs

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Keef mentioned, bananas are a good source of slow release energy. I used to keep a few in my back pack when mountainbiking in the past.
For some reason still unknown to me, Kendal Mint Cake was also very popular among the cyclists.

EDIT : ...and more recently, particularly on cold/early mornings I can recommend these Powershot coffees if you're really in a hurry

Last edited by Dazbo666 on 01:16 - 03 Mar 2007; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are all far too healthy. When touring I just pickup a marsbar at every petrol stop.

The standard "lunch" when touring has to be bread, ham, cheese, apples and chocolate. Just stop off at the biggest supermarket you can find sometime around 11am, so you can stop for your lunch whenever you feel like it.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:

Mmmm, biscuit browns Laughing

h00dwink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 07 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:
As Keef mentioned, bananas are a good source of slow release energy. I used to keep a few in my back pack when mountainbiking in the past.
For some reason still unknown to me, Kendal Mint Cake was also very popular among the cyclists

bananas i have to agree with. they are magical fruits.
they helped me pass my bike test (they help calm nerves). alas after 2 failed attempts at bike tests with eating bananas, on my 3rd i passed. i ate like 6 bananas on the morning of it.
i now belive it's going to be a long damn time before i eat another.

kendel mint cake is ace. in reality it's just mint sugar.

as far as touring/long-jaunt food goes Confused i'v just gone with, buy what you can where you can. but keep a bottle of water and a pack of chewing gum with you at all times Smile

Crash125
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:47 - 09 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
There was a thread a while back about cooking on your engine/exhaust. Worth a read if only for amusement sake.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=61795&highlight=bacon+exhaust

I had a read at that and had a thought!

Put the bacon in tinfoil, tie to exhaust with thin bits of wire by the time you get where you are going it should be well cooked!

(I have seen it done with fish and a car engine!)

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 11 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Pasta, some sauce containing meat and a compact stove. Can also buy vegetables while on the move etc.

In pretty much every french supermarket, even tiny ones, they sell fresh stuffed pasta... you can get it with spinach and ricotta in it, ham, mushroom, beef, anything.... its really common and cheap, tastes really good and best of all takes 1 or 2 minutes (literally) to cook. Perfect for cooking on a camping stove, healthy, cost effective and a good source of energy (isn't pasta what all the racers eat?) Thumbs Up

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:56 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, is there a name for that type of pasta Keen?

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 11:30 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:

The three you see regularly (in England) are Ravioli, Tortellini and Cappelletti. Delicious!

Jon and I regularly cook curries using the trangia as you can buy a roasted chicken and just heat up a jar curry sauce.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about cereal bars?

and colin.. if you boil and egg before you set off and eat it a week later.. me thinks you are asking for the shitz Laughing unless you mean boil it the night before...

go in autumn and steal fruit Shifty

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
maurice wrote:

The three you see regularly (in England) are Ravioli, Tortellini and Cappelletti. Delicious!

yeah tortellini rings a bell, tbh though I never pay much attention to the name of the pasta shape/style, just whats in it Smile but you'll find it in any supermarket, in the refridgerated section. Who needs shitty pot noddles or microwave food? Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:03 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I take a moment to laud the benefits of carrying a steamed pudding in a can in your panniers when off on the bike, especially when camping.

They contain LOADS of calories and are damned tasty.

Takes 1/2 hour of boiling in water to serve hot, in an emergency, you can eat it cold.

Many are the camping trips where towards the end of the night a can of hot steamed pudding with a spoon in has been passed round the campfire. Banishes ay sign of the munchies and sends you to bed with something hot and filling inside you.

The golden syrup ones are best followed by treacle then chocolate. The jam ones are a bit pish and I've never tried the spotted dick but intend to at some point.
https://www.britishdelights.com/images/D8.JPG

samharcus
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:27 - 28 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
You guys are all far too healthy. When touring I just pickup a marsbar at every petrol stop.

I'm glad the XR does 100+ miles before needing refuelled, then. Too many mars bars would make me sick, urgh.

Far too sickly, and doesn't keep you doing! Have a banana Razz

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 01 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
tatters wrote:

Mmmm, biscuit browns Laughing

Treakle pudding was the best Smile

A slab of sugar in treakle sauce lol.

Also recomend orange powder AKA screech ( because it used to make cadets go f**kin tits when eaten instead of mixed with water)
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 01 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have eaten orange powder without any water. It is like eating orange flavoured sherbet that was 200% sugar. It certainly gives you a rush. I would not recommend eating it day on day.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 03 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

R4nger wrote:
I have eaten orange powder without any water. It is like eating orange flavoured sherbet that was 200% sugar. It certainly gives you a rush. I would not recommend eating it day on day.

Sick

Sounds disguisting

Liquorice
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

as an ex-cadet and cadet-staff i definately recomend ration packs

they are full of energy and some of them are pretty good, all you do is boil in the bag! Also if you can get a hexi cooker (see photo) they pack up pretty compact but are pretty easy to use for cooking Thumbs Up

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/images/877/HEXI-STOVE-NEW.jpg

you just light the little block and then have fun staring at the huge flames when you put too many blocks on!

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquorice wrote:

they are full of energy and some of them are pretty good, all you do is boil in the bag! Also if you can get a hexi cooker (see photo) they pack up pretty compact but are pretty easy to use for cooking Thumbs Up

cheers for that, I think I'll try and get one of those Thumbs Up I was a cadet as well but we used to use trangia stoves so I planned to get one for an upcoming touring trip, but that looks better for what we need.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2