Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The future for bikers.... I hope not!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

dean15
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:10 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: The future for bikers.... I hope not! Reply with quote

I don't like this at all - no gears, no sound, top speed 60 mph - what's the point? Confused

https://www.envbike.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:47 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW was on the BBC breakfast show this morning.
Has been on BCF years before that too (like here) Rolling Eyes Very Happy

The BBC report stated top speed 50mph and plans are to have it into production by December 2007.

However, don't hold your breath. Report also pointed out the problems of getting the fuel (hydrogen). Not likely to be at your local petrol station until the big guns in the car industry make something similar on 4 wheels.

More info from the BBC click here and here.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks friggin' ace. Thumbs Up

Its got two wheels, where's the problem? I'd have one instead of a wee diddly scotter if I had to commute. So, it's got not sound...means you'll just have to ride that bit more cautiously (which I think would benefit everyone)

nick606
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

its got to be the shittiest thing i have ever seen its like being stuck on a rs50 without the noise Rolling Eyes it look like a push bike and not a very good looking one at that.... gears, sound, speed are most of the fun of a motorbike

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick606 wrote:
its got to be the shittiest thing i have ever seen its like being stuck on a rs50 without the noise Rolling Eyes it look like a push bike and not a very good looking one at that.... gears, sound, speed are most of the fun of a motorbike

Quite possibly true, but other people like fuel consumption and low running costs, ability to filter in traffic, easy free parking etc. Personal choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:20 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would make for an awsome commuter.

thefallenange...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:36 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
FWIW was on the BBC breakfast show this morning.
Has been on BCF years before that too (like here) Rolling Eyes Very Happy

The BBC report stated top speed 50mph and plans are to have it into production by December 2007.

However, don't hold your breath. Report also pointed out the problems of getting the fuel (hydrogen). Not likely to be at your local petrol station until the big guns in the car industry make something similar on 4 wheels.

More info from the BBC click here and here.

HTH Thumbs Up

You won't be going to petrol stations. Local Water treatment works will probably give you hydrogen from the OSEC plants.

r.bridge1988@gmail.com

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 23:12 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Looks friggin' ace...Its got two wheels, where's the problem? I'd have one instead of a wee diddly scotter if I had to commute...

BTW just remembered from the news report the estimated cost.
£6000 (also confirmed here).

Still think it's a good buy when compared to current offerings?

thefallenangel wrote:
You won't be going to petrol stations. Local Water treatment works will probably give you hydrogen from the OSEC plants.

Oh good, because they're right handy and on the most used commuter routes in the city aren't they Rolling Eyes Brick Wall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 11 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

thefallenangel wrote:

Oh good, because they're right handy and on the most used commuter routes in the city aren't they Rolling Eyes Brick Wall

I have one next to my local super market (pass it every day) sounds ideal to me

Andy levitt
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:36 - 12 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes ideal for cummting and replaces all the scooters then i give it a thumbs up but as for hardcore bikers with gsxrs etc then its just nowt tbh lol Laughing

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 18:51 - 12 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a GSXR to be "hardcore"?

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CR
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:16 - 21 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a mountain bike attached with a hairdryer at the front. The practicality looks Thumbs Up but the design needs more consideration in my view.

How much is hydrogen gona cost?

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:17 - 24 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Secondly, where do you fill up? Hydrogen is easy to buy, costs about the same as petrol, but virtually no petrol stations sell it.

So unless you're prepared to carry a spare canister around with you, you'd better be careful where you ride.

if you are worried about riding around sitting on a canister full of explosive hydrogen, the makers say it is no more dangerous than petrol - and you never worry about that do you?

It's very frightening to think that I'm carryin explosive article between my thighs. So scary for me...

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 24 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawashima wrote:

It's very frightening to think that I'm carryin explosive article between my thighs. So scary for me...

Indeed, seen Terminator 3 ? Shocked

Looks quite crappy IMO

XR125
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:27 - 01 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering you can get a brand new CG125 for under 2k why would you buy this bike?

A fiver of petrol would keep you going for over a week and if you were using it soley for commuting it would take you 10 years to clock up the price of one of those bikes.

What a stupidly priced machine.

No one will buy one, except maybe Richard Branson who uses 100 quid notes to wipe his ass.

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 01 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/finglonga/Finglonga%20Inc/vomit-smiley-024.gif

Phil_C
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a tree-hugger, so I would get one of these for my commute, only if it went up to at least 70mph, with decent acceleration. I'd welcome the silent running (I have tinitus) and the environmental impact (lack of) is great. The thing is there is no indication of fuel cost or the carbon footprint required to make the thing in the first place.

Also, those wheels look a little too skinny for my liking..

spike_Alike
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:41 - 11 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow, and no noise?

It goes against everything I love about bikes!

Maybe good for getting to work, but wheres the fun in it?

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 12 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Richard Branson who uses 100 quid notes to wipe his ass.

where would he get £100 notes from?(don't say, bank of branson) Laughing

that aint a bike, more of an I'robot model that didn't work for them
it shouts 'egyptian' to me? Confused Sick orrible thing.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i had to ride one of them, id have to be going AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH the whole time just so there was some noise!
i hope they never take off... looks like something out of irobot, and only 60mph?
im hardly captain hardcore biker, but i prefer to go at the speed limit at least Very Happy

Nicky-Jano
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:48 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like something out of a space/alien film Confused
No noise? sucks ass, I love the sound of a bike.
Thumbs Down

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise thing is not a problem though! Im sure some clever fucker has come up with a switchable sound generating bit of kit for it, that would allow you to have a V-twin on Monday, an howling 600 with a race can on Tuesday, a Speed Triple for the rest of the week etc. It's probably got a TPS to fit the throttle/speed controler, so that it can sound like it's in any one of 6gears and at any rpm, even though it will be going much slower than it sounds.

Why worry about it anyway? I can't see any of this new emissions free vehicles being around for more than 20years yet in the mainstream at least. It's all bullshit and you can't stop people using petrol engines, they just won't accept it! Anyways even if the future was that all new bikes were 50mph fuel cell powered things, then there are enough really decent old and secondhand bikes out there to keep us all going for a very long time!

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 09:38 - 19 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Map has said, it's not going to be viable until the refilling problem is sorted. I see a return to autocycles happening before this will be on the road. Once people can see that there is a place for powered bicycles that can do 200+ MPG, it will pave the way on the acceptance front for lighter, cheaper, more economical transport.

This won't replace motorycles, just as the Smart car hasn't replaced cars - it's an alternative method of transport.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

spike_Alike
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:32 - 19 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The noise thing is not a problem though! Im sure some clever fucker has come up with a switchable sound generating bit of kit for it, that would allow you to have a V-twin on Monday, an howling 600 with a race can on Tuesday, a Speed Triple for the rest of the week etc. It's probably got a TPS to fit the throttle/speed controler, so that it can sound like it's in any one of 6gears and at any rpm, even though it will be going much slower than it sounds.

Thats hardly the point though. You dont sit in your house and play sound files of bike engines instead of music do you? Playing sound dumb sound from a speaker just because your bike is silent sounds really, really lame to me.

Kind of like the chav in my area who has fitted a button to play a "Tune" on his RS50. He sounds like an icecream van. Rolling Eyes

Edit: That being said, I reckon with a bit of research they'd be able to get them a fair bit faster than 50mph. Although it wont solve the noise.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1