mot question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

uncleboob
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:52 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: mot question Reply with quote

Hi there

Will my cg pass its mot if the kickstart return spring doesn't work? The kickstart still works to start the bike and once running you can manually return the lever to its upright position....i guess it might be dangerous if you forgot to lift it up

cheers

jo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:17 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of nothing in the MOT manual that states the kickstart has to return.

I definately know you don't have to have one for the MOT so if the tester queries it, remove it for the test.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 17:30 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it doesnt have to have a return spring, think that beacuse on some bikes in the past the kickstart has literally spun round and doubled up as a gear lever once the bike had started
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:41 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
no it doesnt have to have a return spring, think that beacuse on some bikes in the past the kickstart has literally spun round and doubled up as a gear lever once the bike had started

Like on my Jawa now you come to mention it. Smile

Odie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be carefull, the mot tester might decide that with the kick start dangling down it might be construde as a hazard to your ability to ride the bike safely (leaning into right hand bends etc).
If you can leave it running during the test.

uncleboob
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:39 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys

i've been sorting out a knackered cg and have everything sorted except this bit, as i'm coming up to my DAS i was going to sell the bike after putting it through the MoT and put the money towards the cost, although its seems to be a cheap fix ( spring is a few pounds) the thought of having to take the whole engine out to fix it is giving me a bit of a headache!!!

I'm going to check it over again this weekend and will put it in for the test next week, i'll let you know how it goes

cheers

jo

uncleboob
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:40 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys

i've been sorting out a knackered cg and have everything sorted except this bit, as i'm coming up to my DAS i was going to sell the bike after putting it through the MoT and put the money towards the cost, although its seems to be a cheap fix ( spring is a few pounds) the thought of having to take the whole engine out to fix it is giving me a bit of a headache!!!

I'm going to check it over again this weekend and will put it in for the test next week, i'll let you know how it goes

cheers

jo

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 23:43 - 31 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odie wrote:
Be carefull, the mot tester might decide that with the kick start dangling down it might be construde as a hazard to your ability to ride the bike safely (leaning into right hand bends etc).
If you can leave it running during the test.

It's not necessary for the MOT tester to start the bike (unless the battery level is too low to test the lights), so charge the battery and take it in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:17 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, as craigT19 says. I have a bike that doesn't even have a return spring. It came out of the factory like that and is type-approved. Therefore it cannot be an MOT requirement.

Odie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:30 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Guys, as craigT19 says. I have a bike that doesn't even have a return spring. It came out of the factory like that and is type-approved. Therefore it cannot be an MOT requirement.

I know that some machines were never fitted with a return spring on their kick starter (MZ's etc) as it doubled up as the gear lever but the CG did.
Its an easy job to change, just a bit fiddly.
I still feel its a safety issue, take it in for the MOT, if it fails on the kick start take it away and sort the problem, you normaly get 7 days to fix the problem.

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:

It's not necessary for the MOT tester to start the bike (unless the battery level is too low to test the lights), so charge the battery and take it in.

Do they not check for emissions or the exhaust for leaks?

Odie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:53 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:

Good idea would be to take it to the running so that they can hear that it isnt loud or leaking, unfortunatly the CG has no electric start, new ones might have cannot remember.

uncleboob
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:15 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

....from what i can remember from the book, i think you have to take the engine out to change the spring....if not then i'll get it sorted over the weekend. Do we think that just taking the clutch cover off will provide access

cheers

Jo

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:34 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, if it fails the MOT on the kickstart just remove it and take it in for a retest (or just tell the guy that's what you're going to do, or whip out your 11mm spanner and do it there and then).

As I say, there is no requirement for one to be fitted, I've MOTed bikes with no way of starting them other than bumping with no problem. In fact, you can MOT a rolling chassis providing the lights work off the battery.

Once you have the MOT, you can fix the bike at your leisure.

hedjehog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:
It's not necessary for the MOT tester to start the bike (unless the battery level is too low to test the lights)
Stinkwheel wrote:
... you can MOT a rolling chassis providing the lights work off the battery

The headlight on my (88 BRE) CG could not be turned on without the engine running...

I'm fairly sure it was built that way and not a feature of its knackeredness.

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:59 - 01 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could on my '85...

Think it was its knackeredness.

hedjehog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 02 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich_simpkins wrote:
Could on my '85...

Think it was its knackeredness.

Well, bugger me! You live and learn, eh?! Wink

Funny thing is, I noticed about a week ago, the guy I sold it to just sold it on on eBay for more than he bought it off me for. Nice work that man!

CGs are an investment in whatever condition...

Smile

hedjehog

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 00:17 - 03 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:

Yeah, it is. You need to check that the throttle works correctly and you need to check for fuel and exhaust system leaks and exhaust noise.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:56 - 03 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. You can MOT a rolling chassis with no engine in it at all. Used to be a really common thing to do when you were building a chop before the advent of the MSVA test so you could get it registered.

I've twice MOTed bikes, in two different places, that could only be started by bumping them on account of knackered starter motors. They certainly didn't start them when they were tested.

Nothing whatsoever in the manual that states there has to be a working engine. Nothing to my knowledge about testing the functioning or otherwise of the throttle mechanism either.

I stand ready to be corrected. Please quote the paragraph of the testers manual under which this would fail if you do so because that is what I would ask an MOT tester to do should I fail on such a point.

john2
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:46 - 03 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it this way. My scooter passed an MOT with no electic start. Cracked indicator lense and the horn not working Confused Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:09 - 03 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Related point, but does anyone know where there is an online copy of the current bike MOT manual.

Loads of copies from 2001, but I know it has changed a lot since then.

All the best

Keith

uncleboob
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:37 - 04 Feb 2007    Post subject: I need a rainy day to fix my bike!!! Reply with quote

...well i guess i'll be able to settle the question, just as soon as i take it to the test centre.....today was going to be the day but i looked outside at the clear blue skies and sunshine and decided that getting lost in the warwickshire countryside was a much better use of time!!!

But i will be going next week, checked my documents and it seems that my daily ride is due for a check-up Sad ...here's hoping that it doesn't need too much attention

as an aside, has anyone changed the kickstart retunr spring on their cg125 before? If so can you do it by removing the right hand casing, as opposed to removing the whole engine?

cheers

jo

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 01:12 - 04 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
No. You can MOT a rolling chassis with no engine in it at all. Used to be a really common thing to do when you were building a chop before the advent of the MSVA test so you could get it registered.

Evidently, if there is no fuel or exhaust system then it cannot be checked,

Quote:
I've twice MOTed bikes, in two different places, that could only be started by bumping them on account of knackered starter motors. They certainly didn't start them when they were tested.

They should of been - at least according to the current regs. From looking at an online copy of the 2001 regs it wasn't a requirement listed there.

Quote:
Nothing whatsoever in the manual that states there has to be a working engine. Nothing to my knowledge about testing the functioning or otherwise of the throttle mechanism either.

I stand ready to be corrected. Please quote the paragraph of the testers manual under which this would fail if you do so because that is what I would ask an MOT tester to do should I fail on such a point.

The manual does state that the fuel system has to be checked for leaks with the engine running and switched off. The throttle has to be checked with the bars on each lock, to make sure that the cable doesn't pull/stick. Exhaust noise/leakage is also a factor of the test, again the engine needs to be running for this. When I get back into work on tuesday I'll dig out the exact wording and the paragraph numbers.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 04 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

john2 wrote:
Put it this way. My scooter passed an MOT with no electic start. Cracked indicator lense and the horn not working Confused Laughing

Well your scooter shouldn't have passed its MOT with the horn not working and maybe should have failed with the cracked indicator lense too (depends on how bad it was). Obviously the guy doing the MOT wasn't up to much and shows a very shoddy state of workmanship and attitude. I just hope for your sake that he didn't 'miss' anything serious that could end up with you having a nasty accident due to his incompetence.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2