BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CONgestion charge petition IGNORED

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 12 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infact I found a better example , the girl friend principle , when you are her fella
you can influence her decisions , you can persuade her or ask her to do things, and decide
on a future together, there is no ownership but there is influence. She may or may not
listen to you or do the things you want her to do, it is her choice, in most normal non
abusive / user / leech relationships

once you part company all this goes out the window ,

most recently I recall a thread where a LT relationship had gone sour and where they'd parted
company but remained good friends, a slip of the tongue a momentary laspe , as she was going out ,
he said be careful out there,

she said back ,

"you can't say that to me anymore"

the principle is the same,

you shared something special ,

you lived with each other,

you are forever exe lovers and shared something

you used to belong ,

no more,

you dumped the UK,

you have no say,

Saying cus I have ties here is acting like the jealous dumped boyfriend who wants to control the
person even though they are separated.

In voting when you have no real principled right you are telling somebody you dumped they can't
do that anymore, at which I'm turning back at you and saying to you,

Much as it pains me to see my past GFs do things I know are not good for them, I have no say since
I am no longer her BF even though for a while in my heart of hearts I really wish we'd get back
together, much like you say I may come back to the UK.

Its the same principle

one day we may get back together.

I may come back one day.

infact it sounds like those people who keep going back to their exe's using slimey weasel words
to get a roll in the hay, or use such justifications.

infact its like selling stuff , once I sold my XJ600 rat , I had no say in how it was used
after the money was handed over, same situation ,

If you tried to convince people who have a REAL stake in the UK to vote labour , go ahead , thats fine
but you are voting without suffering the consequences , and that really gets my goat, and many others
I suppose,
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 12 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:

And you are are entitled to your opinion as to wether I ought to be allowed to vote, but so am I.

And I will never spoil a ballot paper.

And just because we disagree, we shouldn't fall out... bloody daft if you ask me.
I am sure we disagree on many things. That's the way the world is.

and ? , I reserve the right to be hardline on this issue , as said you will be voting on things that do not affect you , and you fall into the starship troopers Heinlein thought which caused the revolution that votes don't matter ,

they especially do not matter to you , because they do not affect you , you vote BNP ,tory , labour doesn't affect you , it affects ME not you ,

your home is where you live , you can't say my home is X but live in Y thats just weasel words

as said you give me YOUR Swedish vote and you can vote in UK elections quid pro quo ,

I will of course vote for the most pro gun hard right facist party to spoil sweden like you are trying to Spoil England , fair ? , I think this is fair since you are doing exactly that except real British citizens do not have such a choice.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 14:16 - 12 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labour are no longer the party that started up in the early 1900's. The party representing the working classes and being involved in the large process of social and economic reform in the early Twentieth Century. Instead in the space of 70+ years they have turned into the party that will penalise everybody, refuse to help the working classes to get around and go to work. They want a quick fix to congestion, so they charge people. It's so everybody can sit in the commons all day and suck up the extra money that comes their way. Not organising the building of new roads and large scale schemes to get this country flowing. Look at the fiasco of adding an extra lane to the countries motorways, they can't even be bothered to organise that, instead just use the current hard shoulders as an extra lane!

Everytime a political argument comes up it can always be diverted to the issue of immigration. If there weren't so many jobless English people, immigrants for work and pleasure there would NOT be so many cars on the roads. It's simple logical sense. If the current Labour government had been more concerned about their own people rather than giving living space to every Tom, Dick and Harry in the world we wouldn't have such serious problems today.

Watching this morning as the minister for Welfare and social policy read out some dross that in the past 10 years Labour have increased the productivity of the country and more people are in employment. Nice. Another nicety was that the government are planning to stop Welfare to anybody who cannot and are not willing to speak decent English. Fair enough, what about the lazy English people that cannot string a sentence between them because they did not attend school and let their kids do the same? Do they deserve a state payout? No they bloody well don't. Same goes for the "disabled" people who claim disability benefit then sit on their bottoms watching TV and can easily get up to buy some cigarettes and cook some Tea. I only say this cause I know people that claim disability benefit and easily capable of working.

If we stopped draining money into the Welfare money pot perhaps Britain would be great again. Let's go back to the Victorian times where the people who are given the chance to prove themselves live in the slums and realise that a Laissez Faire state would leave them absolutely in the shit pit.

We need social and economic reform in this country. It is absolutely evident this is not going to come from the current Government. We need a party willing to sacrifice their popularity with certain pockets of the population for their own countries gain.

3 things that need to be done to stop our country becoming the worse place to live in the world.

More roads built.
Welfare state re-evaluated and stripped back to basics.
Strict border controls.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 14:32 - 12 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Same goes for the "disabled" people who claim disability benefit then sit on their bottoms watching TV and can easily get up to buy some cigarettes and cook some Tea

Shifty

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 12 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
froggeh wrote:

And you are are entitled to your opinion as to wether I ought to be allowed to vote, but so am I.

And I will never spoil a ballot paper.

And just because we disagree, we shouldn't fall out... bloody daft if you ask me.
I am sure we disagree on many things. That's the way the world is.

and ? , I reserve the right to be hardline on this issue , as said you will be voting on things that do not affect you , and you fall into the starship troopers Heinlein thought which caused the revolution that votes don't matter ,

they especially do not matter to you , because they do not affect you , you vote BNP ,tory , labour doesn't affect you , it affects ME not you ,

your home is where you live , you can't say my home is X but live in Y thats just weasel words

as said you give me YOUR Swedish vote and you can vote in UK elections quid pro quo ,

I will of course vote for the most pro gun hard right facist party to spoil sweden like you are trying to Spoil England , fair ? , I think this is fair since you are doing exactly that except real British citizens do not have such a choice.

I will play by the rules whatever they are. I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you, or friends and family.
I vote the way I vote because I believe it's the right way, and the right thing to do.

If I don't have the vote over there (I am not 100% sure - it was a guess) , then I really don't mind. If they give me one, then at the risk of sounding like a stuck record... I won't waste it.

I am not happy at all with the way NL have brought in taxes.
But I am less happy about potential changes from the other tory party.

My personal view is that most tax should be based on ability to pay.
ie higher income tax.
I would probably scrap most stealth taxes.

In the end I would wish no harm on anyone.... certainly not out of spite. And I think you have gone too far on this. It's a debate. Nothing more or less.

This is exactly why mates should never argue politics...

Can we possibly agree to disagree? And maybe organise a feckin rideout instead?

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 12 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the tories being in power very well indeed.
I had a good job with prospects, a pension and £24k a year with shift pay. Now I dont.
I could get to see my doctor within a day of falling ill. Now I cant.
I could get to see an nhs dentist with a days notice. Now I cant.
I could report a crime and a policeman would attend. Now I cant.
The country wasn't overflowing with asylum seekers. Now it is.
The list goes on.
Sure it wasn't all great, but it was a hell of a lot better than it was under Bliar.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 12 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you don't get off that easy I disagree to agree to er disagree

Who anybody votes for is immaterial here , I don't give a shit about Mr Jones voting BNP , Tory labour whatever , not
because votes do not count but because they live here, they make a mistake they live with the consequences.

There is an implied deal in society , RIGHTS for RESPONSIBILITY ,.

And you are throwing this in face of mine and 60 million other Brits , ie you are perfectly willing to take the right to vote ,
yet you are completely unwilling to accept any of its responsibilities.

Its only a couple notches above a chav who murders a granny , is treated badly by cops and screams for his rights,
you broke the deal all you have a right to is a fair trial.

same thing YOU , you are willing to take the right yet unwilling to bear any of the responsibility

This is the endemic problem with society , people all too willing to take their rights yet , unwilling to take on board their
societal responsibilities. In saying I'll vote anyway you start to become part of the problem.

I'LL SUE YOU , I'LL SUE YOU I'LL SUE YOU they scream after you've defended yourself from assault,

You also insult your friends and family in thinking that they cannot make up their minds as responsible adults and choose
what is best for them , no YOU know best.

No taxation without representation empitomises this concept, social concepts I have described a few posts up are
similar concepts by applied to society.

There is no defence of rights for no responsibility, other than those who cannot take responsibility and need protection,
such as very young children who cannot understand such a concept, and vulnerable groups in society.

I'm not a vulnerable member of society nor are you.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 12 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
no you don't get off that easy I disagree to agree to er disagree

Who anybody votes for is immaterial here , I don't give a shit about Mr Jones voting BNP , Tory labour whatever , not
because votes do not count but because they live here, they make a mistake they live with the consequences.

There is an implied deal in society , RIGHTS for RESPONSIBILITY ,.

And you are throwing this in face of mine and 60 million other Brits , ie you are perfectly willing to take the right to vote ,
yet you are completely unwilling to accept any of its responsibilities.

Its only a couple notches above a chav who murders a granny , is treated badly by cops and screams for his rights,
you broke the deal all you have a right to is a fair trial.

same thing YOU , you are willing to take the right yet unwilling to bear any of the responsibility

This is the endemic problem with society , people all too willing to take their rights yet , unwilling to take on board their
societal responsibilities. In saying I'll vote anyway you start to become part of the problem.

I'LL SUE YOU , I'LL SUE YOU I'LL SUE YOU they scream after you've defended yourself from assault,

You also insult your friends and family in thinking that they cannot make up their minds as responsible adults and choose
what is best for them , no YOU know best.

No taxation without representation empitomises this concept, social concepts I have described a few posts up are
similar concepts by applied to society.

There is no defence of rights for no responsibility, other than those who cannot take responsibility and need protection,
such as very young children who cannot understand such a concept, and vulnerable groups in society.

I'm not a vulnerable member of society nor are you.

I'm not gonna argue any more. You should do what you feel is right.
Same as anyone else.
https://www.direct.gov.uk wrote:

You keep the right to vote in general and Eurpean Union elections for up to fifteen years after moving abroad, but you can't vote in UK local government elections. Remeber to register yourself if you return to live in the UK so you don't miss the chance to vote.

(Including the spelling mistake.)

So it seems I will retain the vote for up to 15 years.
Same goes for all the existing ex-pats, some of whom are already voting in general, and european elelctions.

But agreeing to disagree is what civilised people do.
We disagree.
It seems unlikely that either of us will persuade the other to their point of view.
So let's just drop it huh?

Example. I don't believe in the death penalty, my mate does...If we were to discuss it we would probably fall out. So we don't

M'kay. Karma

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:30 - 16 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If anyone wants to read through a massive amount of nothingness:-

https://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/roadpricing/

Government documents on road pricing. Which basically shows that cost wise they haven't got a clue at the moment.

Oh, and seems some groups are trying to prevent people signing the petition. Well done Dorset police.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/16/nroad16.xml

All the best

Keith

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:51 - 17 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
instigator wrote:
Where on earth do you live??? Surprised I want a house for 75k!

That was Mansfield. I finally sold that house about 4 years ago for £30k. With about 12 years payments I made a hell of a loss on that house.

All the best

Keith

I don't mean to be rude but I really don't understand how, please could you explain this to me?

I bought a house in 97 with my brother that i've been trying to get out of for about 4 years. I've been trying to buy a house with the misses for about 6 years after 3 years we were completely priced out of the market.There is nothing at all with 2 bedrooms for under 75k in the radius we require.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:51 - 17 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Paid £27k, sold for £30k (and at its worst would have probably gone for about half that). Add in legal fees, etc, and that is about £1k profit. However even if you average out the interest at a very cheap 5% a month, over 12 years that is £15k (and I remember that the first year I had the house the payments were over £300 a month, so £3600 just in interest for the first year).

Hell of a loss. Suspect plenty of people will get caught out the same way in the none too distant future.

That said the house we have here was bought in 1995, pretty much when house prices were at their most stagnant so has done OK. Not that we can use the money it has made for anything.

There are areas with cheap houses. Mansfield is in easy commuting distance from Notts and Derby.

All the best

Keith

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 18 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
That said the house we have here was bought in 1995, pretty much when house prices were at their most stagnant so has done OK. Not that we can use the money it has made for anything.

Of course you can. I never really understand that argument. You can re-mortgage and take some of the equity out of the house, or you can use that equity to provide a large deposit on a new house if you wished to move (thus improving the chances of getting good interest rates).

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:05 - 18 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

All that gives me is the chance to get a marginally lower interest rate on a future loan. And it really would be marginal.

All the best

Keith

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 18 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
All that gives me is the chance to get a marginally lower interest rate on a future loan. And it really would be marginal.

Depends on the circumstances. I bought my house with a 100% mortgage - knowing I'd be stung on the repayments for a while. Two years in and I had enough to remortgage with a 10% deposit, using the equity. That was a more than marginal saving on my monthly payments! Wink

Okay, how about my first option? Remortgage your house, remove some of the equity and buy that 400mm f2.8... Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:23 - 18 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Already got a mortgage with far over a 10% deposit. Currently on a fixed deal at a certain amount under the base rate. Even an unsecured loan would only be about 1.5 percentage points higher. Over 3 years on a £5k loan on a lense it would probably save me £200 or so doing it remortgaged against an unsecured loan.

All the best

Keith

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:12 - 18 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Oh, and seems some groups are trying to prevent people signing the petition. Well done Dorset police.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/16/nroad16.xml

So are they going to prevent their employees going off to vote during their lunch hour in the next election too because their employees have to remain 'politically neutral'?

Who's willing to bet they have already entered into an agreement with some company or other to put the infrastructure in place for the proposed road charging? The reason they are ploughing ahead is because it will cost them a fortune to back out now.

Same thing happened with the ID cards. They had already awarded a contract for the company to produce the bloody things. Even if the Tories get in power at the next election and do away with the whole idea, the government (ie us) will still have to pay for them.

Just for information, I voted UKIP in the last election so I accept no responsability for the current self-serving, codescending shower of shite we call a government.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:32 - 18 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your replies ready to send to Tony Blair. Smile

BBC News wrote:
"Over the next few days I will be sending out a response to everyone who has signed the petition against road charging explaining the problems the country faces and why I believe road pricing is surely part of the answer here as it is in many other countries."
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2