Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2010 World Cup - South Africa

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: 2010 World Cup - South Africa Reply with quote

Is there anybody else here who thinks this might not be the safest place to host the world cup?

I'm not trying to be racist or sound derogatory towards South Africa or South Africans, I know there are a few people on BCF who are SA's, G/Afrdog/Iron Maiden.

I remember a few months back reading on the teletext saying that 60% of South Africans are to frightened to leave home after dark. Crime and corruption are high (but all countries suffer with this, right?) racism/racial tension and a certain hatred against foreigners was high(again, all countries suffer racism to an extent). I can't help but think that there wil probably be riots when it's hosted since there will be thousands maybe millions of people from different nations all in one place and if the host nation is racist, well me think's thats a bad mixture. It also said that FIFA was in talks as to wether to move the World Cup to the USA or back to Germany again. Confused

I don't know how much of the info they put on teletext is true & the fact that I've never been to SA, for all I know it could be the best place on earth?

I just seem to have an image that when the time comes it will be a pretty hostile enviroment.

Doing some research, albeit very little I found these:-

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1924251.stm

https://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

https://mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-murder-rates.html

Or I could be thinking about it in a negative way, and the World cup could do wonders for SA, ie - tourism, economy, general "image" problems?

But then every country has it's problems, some more than others.

What does everyone else think about it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:07 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: 2010 World Cup - South Africa Reply with quote

Erm, for the record I was Born in Botswana, not South Africa. My parents did have the choice of going to a more advanced hospital in South Africa, but did not want that on my birth certificate due to the regime at the time.

There are definitely many very dodgy areas on south Africa, but there are also areas that are ok. I know a few people from there and they don't have any real issues going back to visit relatives etc.

I'm sure they would be making sure the areas where the football is are kept reasonably secure etc.

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops sorry G. I thought you were. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
killa This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 South Africa: 0.496008 per 1,000 people

That's 1 in 2000 people murdered. Scary.

To be honest I think security will be ultra tight.
I doubt racism will affect anything. The racial problems where clashes of cultures are 'living' together won't be an issue.

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent 3 weeks there back in July/Aug 06.

I didn't see anything bad.

All the windows have metal cage like bars across them. So, I guess that theft is an issue there.

I think the going out after dark very much depends on the area your in.

I got my £300 camera stolen from my luggage at Jo'burg airport Sad

So, watch ya back!

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 S ifrican house mates. they say that the amount of crime doesnt seem that much highre than anywhere else. only problem is that the % of violent crime, usually involving guns is alot higher.

So what would be a mugging here could potentially be a murder over there.

I think there will be alot of heightened security for the cup, but its innevitable that some people are going to get the short end of the stick.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1