Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Honda VFR 800 - opinions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

spadge
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Honda VFR 800 - opinions Reply with quote

This is on behalf of my dad - he currently rides an M reg VFR 750 but has been advised that it is time to upgrade before repair bills start mounting up and was recommended the VFR 800 as he still wants a sports tourer or a similar bike. He would like to know:-
What people think about this bike?
How it compares to the 750?
Are there any models that should be avoided?
Any other bikes people would recommend?

any help/advice much appreciated on his behalf
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mark83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering one earlier until I realised that I'm 23 and I might as well go for something with a bit more 'bite-your-arse' performance.....

When I was looking I found that a lot of people were warning me about service costs.
____________________
Kawasaki ER6n -> Honda CBR600RR -> Honda VTR 1000 -> Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
Buy my Mercedes 350 Sport AMG Evo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:10 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read up into the bikes a bit, as I had been considering one over a CBR6. The weight of the thing worried me a little (won't usually opt for anything with a 200kg+ dry weight), but I really should have taken one for a test ride (might still do).

The 800s (and especially the V4-ruining V-Tech) weren't in the running - most opinions/reviews I read tend to say the 750s were the best VFRs and as a package, are yet to be beaten (1000cc V4 please Honda).

The pre-Vtech 800s are pretty solid bikes though and add a bit more to the model - more refinement, less character. New 1050 Trumpet's supposedly taken the VFR's crown, but suspect build and finish (especially considering the bike is a sports-touring allrounder).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark83 wrote:
I was considering one earlier until I realised that I'm 23 and I might as well go for something with a bit more 'bite-your-arse' performance.....


Jeeeezzz.

How much more do you want? Shocked

A mate had a VFR800 a while back.
I loved it.
Bloody fast and very stable.

Only one minor thing about them is that your Right Leg gets hot due to the positioning of the twin radiators.

Some people will tell you that the "Linked" braking system is crap (while some others love it), but I really couldn't that there was much difference over a standard system.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mark83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pte1643 wrote:


Jeeeezzz.

How much more do you want? Shocked

A mate had a VFR800 a while back.
I loved it.
Bloody fast and very stable.

Only one minor thing about them is that your Right Leg gets hot due to the positioning of the twin radiators.

Some people will tell you that the "Linked" braking system is crap (while some others love it), but I really couldn't that there was much difference over a standard system.


Sounds good. But what about the servicing costs. I've heard they're outrageous!
____________________
Kawasaki ER6n -> Honda CBR600RR -> Honda VTR 1000 -> Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
Buy my Mercedes 350 Sport AMG Evo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The servicing cost used to be high at 16k on the VTEC models (about £600) because only a Honda dealer could reset the VTEC system with a special tool. Now that they have been around a few years the 16k service costs roughly the same as any other bike. Other service interval costs also comparable. Pre-VTEC models were never extortionate on servicing.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mark83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fuzz. Very useful. Thumbs Up

**EDIT**

Nice to have some concrete advice rather than the old....

"They're well expensive coz my mate said so"

"No they're not coz my other mate says so"
____________________
Kawasaki ER6n -> Honda CBR600RR -> Honda VTR 1000 -> Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
Buy my Mercedes 350 Sport AMG Evo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Fuzz, I also heard that the dealers complained to Honda about the cost of the big service and got it reduced.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bandito
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 800 (2004) as a courtesy bike for 2 months last year. Bearing in mind I had a K7 750 and a 600rr before that and then moved onto an R1 I found it ridiculously heavy and very slow... The bike had only done 6k miles and it seemed to have a 'lull' at around 7krpm... I have since found out that the Vtec kicks in around 7krpm and that causes a lull.
Its probably ideal for someone that wants what it offers... Honda quality and reliability.. but being a sports bike enthusiast I just found it painful to ride and it seemed to age me another 30 years when riding it..

the fuel consumption was ridiculous for a sports tourer. I was filling up as often as I did my GSXR and CBR with the same mileage. That was the big negative for me.. as it felt like the tank was way bigger than the sports bikes tanks.

just my opinion anyway.

the single sided swingarm is nice though Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 63.2 Kb