Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

18 and i have a bad back!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Blunet600
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:14 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: 18 and i have a bad back!!! Reply with quote

I play football a lot, and recently I have had a bad back, the pain is at the bottom of my spine/back, it hurts when I do certain things like kick the back, or sit up or sit down.
Got of the bike today and i had trouble because it hurt so much.
Anyone know anything that can help this or anyone else that has a similar or the same problem. I've got a match saturday and I am hoping it goes away by then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: 18 and i have a bad back!!! Reply with quote

NSRdude wrote:
nyone else that has a similar or the same problem

I had a sore pinky last week for like...2 whole days but then it sort of went away gradually.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well running around in football boots, sliding and jumping in a muddy field is not going to help your back at all.

Lumbar pain is aggravated by bending and twisting, so the only way the body will heal and repair is to rest. Saying this, a sports bike is also the worst position to be in as its a hunched all weight on palms and supported by muscles in the lower back.

You need rest, pain killers including anti inflamatories and gentle mobilisation / ambulation.

Back pain is nothing to be sneezed at, it is one of the biggest causes for disability in my profession.

slimjim04
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:35 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: 18 and i have a bad back!!! Reply with quote

NSRdude wrote:
18 and i have a bad back!!!

nothing that your girlfriend couldnt take care of with a nice massage, take advantage of the situation and ask her for a bit of TLC.

but on a serious note, as whosthedaddy said, anti inflamatories and strong pain killers ( ibuprofen are good ) and take things easy for a bit Thumbs Up

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:41 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: 18 and i have a bad back!!! Reply with quote

NSRdude wrote:
I play football a lot, and recently I have had a bad back, the pain is at the bottom of my spine/back, it hurts when I do certain things like kick the back, or sit up or sit down.
Got of the bike today and i had trouble because it hurt so much.
Anyone know anything that can help this or anyone else that has a similar or the same problem. I've got a match saturday and I am hoping it goes away by then.

Sorry to say this mate, but it will never go away, I played football from the age of 7, did karate and did a paper round and it all caused my back to be well and truly shagged. One side of my spine was growing faster than the other causing excruciating pain in my lower lumber area.

I think i'd find it hard to ride a sports bike just because of the pressure on my back, I still get lots of shooting pain now.

You need to rest, see your GP and you will have an X ray and MRI scan, thats what happened to me. I also had some physiotherapy on my back as well, which helped a little.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blackrhythms
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:54 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be an idea to see a chiropractor too. I have pain like that off and on, but visiting the chiropractor sorts it out. Riding my bike used to really aggravate the pain too.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: 18 and i have a bad back!!! Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
did a paper round and it all caused my back to be well and truly shagged. One side of my spine was growing faster than the other causing excruciating pain in my lower lumber area

Lugging a heavy satchel full of the Daily Mail and The Mirror when the body has not yet had a chance to fully develop itself is the cause I'm sure.

alexhornet
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:22 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a mechanic and have had a bad back since i was 16 ( im 6 foot 6 and being bent over a bonnet all day doesnt help and im now 27 )

the onlything that helps me is a lumbar support and a hot bath every night!!

the support cost me 15 notes from argoose

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:11 - 19 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: 18 and i have a bad back!!! Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:

Lugging a heavy satchel full of the Daily Mail and The Mirror when the body has not yet had a chance to fully develop itself is the cause I'm sure.

Yep, I realised that is what had caused it, but obviously all the factors together made it worse.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Blunet600
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:02 - 20 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will rest this week, but I dont wanna miss a match. So hopefully it will sort itself out by then. I pray to god its not going to be anything worse or lead to disability of any kind. Maybe its just a growth spurge....??? or am i trying to make reasons.
cheers

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:18 - 20 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are going to have to face up to the facts that this is your back, not a toe nail. Once your back goes that is it. If you want to be playing football in 10 years time, see your GP and be prepared to have to rest from football for a while.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:40 - 20 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and this is why i avoided any effort in my younger days.

Clever me Cool Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:42 - 20 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:

Lumbar pain is aggravated by bending and twisting, so the only way the body will heal and repair is to rest. Saying this, a sports bike is also the worst position to be in as its a hunched all weight on palms and supported by muscles in the lower back.

Riding a sports bike is fine for me - a weekend's racing / track work sees my back feeling a lot better after it's been done it by a week of work in an office (and yes I do try and sit 'properly'.)

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 20 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem, its a side pain caused by hip pain which is a result of crashing a push bike at speed and tearing ligaments which havnt healed properly, results in very loud clicky hips,

I've been having physio - with little improvement on the NHs and using an inversion table. to help my hips to click which allow the joint to sit right > pelvis to be in the right place . lower back pain gone.

Strangely if I go horse riding my hips seem to click into place more readily.

My hips are very bad after alot of excercise such as walking for a long time...

doctor uttered something along the lines of resurfacing of the joint and sorting the ligament with surgery if the physio continues to do little in the way of improving my hips...

I'm 19

Go to your doc, if he's good he'll refer you for physio, if he couldnt care less he'll string you along and fob you off

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 20 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
..and this is why i avoided any effort in my younger days.

Clever me Cool Thumbs Up

That was brilliant Thumbs Up Laughing

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 16:07 - 20 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely to be more muscle than joint related pain, so try taking Ibuprofen to relieve any swelling and be careful how you sit, stretch the back out regularly (both directions) and there are exercises you can use to strenthen your lower back muscles.

If you've been doing a lot of sit-ups etc then you will strenthen the muscles on the front of your core, but not the back. So by lying on your front and slowly lifting your shoulders and legs a couple of inches off the floor this will help.

I have an ongoing back problem thanks to a small incident with a road sign so am usually very careful with exercise and posture and don't often have any problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 22:48 - 20 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to rest too much as this can weaken the muscles overall, according to the Government anyway, Ipobrofen and hot baths the way to go Thumbs Up

Also try rolling a towel up and lying on the floor with it under the affected area to regain some natural posture.

Worh going to a pyhsio if you can, this can be caused by a variety of things,you may even find one leg is longer than the other Laughing freak

Blunet600
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:50 - 20 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys, been really helpful and I will try everything that has been mentioned. I want to sort it out its getting me annoyed and little bit down too.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 21 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suggest to go to see chiropractic doctor. This helped me out of awful back pain since 5-Feb.
chiropractic : treat bone contortion <- better.
bodywork : treat muscle contortion <- not better.

I went to see see chiropractic doctor for 5days total. What I was told by him was...
(1)Abondon the soft urethan bed surface(like True Sleeper) ASAP, and buy hard one instead
(2)Walk more everyday.
(3)Do practise on the bed morning and night (pic below)
(4)Don't sit loosely (I bought a better chair)
(5)Don't sit for more than 30mins.

What I was surprised at was that "True Sleeper surface is very bad for spine" which I bought 1year ago. He said those surface doesn't keep your spine straight while you are sleeping and it accumulate the stress to your spine. WATCH OUT!!!
I DID realise my pain on the back was relieved on the hard surface.

Excercise on the bed
https://www.nakanoth.com/topics/img/30.194-1.jpg

I couldn't ride my bike more than 2 weeks but now I can. Dance!

bob-a-job
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:02 - 21 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't be bothered to read all the replies above...

I started to have a bad back from about 18/19 yrs old..

I'm currently seeing a sports therapist who says it is all down to my posture. Not just my back posture but legs, shoulders and head are all connected to the problem.

Go to your GP and try to get them to refer you to a sports therapist or the like...

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 21 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawashima wrote:

I have to do the top right excersise, I can't do the splits for shite, but it still works if I 'walk on my hands' fowards and then straighten my legs behind me both hips very loudly will go 'Knock'... when I say loundly I mean lecturer at front of hall talking will hear them click and pause if they do it when they're speaking Shocked

XR125
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:17 - 02 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, alot of the time a source of back pain is your matress.

I had one at 16 and when I woke up in the morning it'd take me 20 mins to get out of bed, in a rush. I ended up getting a new matress and within a month my back was great.

firefox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had a bad back since i was 16 leaning over, crouching down, sets it off also the cold, sometimes when riding my back just locks, what caused mine was i hit a curb at about 40 mph in a crash i had, truth is the pain will never go away.

fredsredhat
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:20 - 28 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for you mate i really do. I've had a bad back from being 12 or so, and no amount of pleading with the docs or phisio's it was all dismissed as growing pains. I'm now 27 and the various chiro's are a lot richer but its getting a bit less painful (but my posture's still like a S) and its all due to a sports phisio i saw and she gave me a few stretches to do.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1