Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2 problems with NSR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:02 - 14 Jun 2002    Post subject: 2 problems with NSR Reply with quote

Ok over the past 2 days ish my NSR has developed 2 anoyying problems i was wondering if you guys knew what they could be and how to sort them?

1.The oil light keeps coming on when i reach about 9k revs in 1st 2nd and 3rd after that it stops, but i filled up with oil 2 days ago?

2.When i start the bike after say 6 hours of not riding it for the first 100yds it spews out a cloud of light bhlue smoke? can anyone tell me why this is and how to fix it?

Cheers
Zak

James
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:19 - 14 Jun 2002    Post subject: . Reply with quote

When you accelerate hard in the lower gears the oil moves to back of tank like a wave, when this happens the censor drops and your light comes on. Nothing to worry about.

The cloud of blue smoke is to do with how the oil combusts. The oil is designed for optimum performance at high temperatures, at low tempatures it will be partially combusted and burn blue.
Both your problems are ones youll get with any two-squeeker.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:50 - 14 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nothing i should worry about then?

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:00 - 14 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope mine blowes out loads of smoke for the first 2min!
and as long as your gear box is full to the marker dont care if the light comes on you know its full so IS'T FULL Wink

Any way better more smoke than a fucked up engine Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

beano
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:01 - 14 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi um i duno much about anythin realy but have u checked the oil in your gear box when cool it could be that a crank seal has gone in the gear box and is leaking in to the engine which is causing excesive smoking from the pipe . Or there could be a rip in the head gasket if that is the case then the engine may over heat as well. or most likly its just a two stroke doing what a two stroke does smoke alot if its the crank seal u can tell by the lose of performance plus the gear box oil draining check the oil filler window on the left side i think on the bike.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Jun 2002    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

i would get that oil light sorted mate..

james i correct in saying you get a wave effect but the oil light sensor i positioned to come on then your 2-stoke gets down to a third of a litre, the nsr hold a little over a litre of stroker oil so if you filled it up 2 days ago you shold still have wel over 3quaters of a litre, so the only way the wave thing would work with that much oil is if you were pulling verticle wheelies.

the blue smoke thing isnt a prob its just the cold engine eating oil untill its warm they all do it, it dosnt seem to do it so much if you use fully sinthetic oil (castrol tts)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 15 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometings definately wrong with ur oil level sensor as for the blue smoke, my dads rs250 smokes more than him!!! Very Happy

TJ

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:48 - 15 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've checked the oil level since i posted and it hasent gone down at all?

beano
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:20 - 15 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i didunt want to make u panic i read your post again and it couldunt have bin your crank seal cos it was blue smoke and not blck smoke c if the crank seal had gone the engine pulls in oil from the gear box and burns the oil in the engine causing black smoke and thats why u would lose power cos oil is being burnt in the engine that isunt meant to be there but as it being blue smoke it is two stroke so no worrys if it smells sweet two stroke if it smells burnt gear box oil blue= smoke good black smoke=bad. the reason i said a slight rip in the head gasket is cos if there is then that could cause masses of blue smoke out the pipe but u could tell this cos u would lose loads of power as the copresion rate would drope loads and u would have trouble starting the bike and it would stall and the engine would prbably over heat cos the coland could not pass over the head so it sounds like u have no trouble at all just a a twoo stroke smoking. have u tryed looking at the plug if it is runing rich with two stroke cos if there is masses of blue smoke and u can smell the two stroke even when gopin the it could be running rich check the plug if its brown i think thats good

beano
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:25 - 15 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw sorry for my spelling and Twisted Evil take every thin a say with a pinch of salt

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:29 - 17 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the light. If you're thrashing the engine the sensor may not pick up the correct amount. Also you'll be under acceleration and vibration as well. Mine blinks on and off at 80 with 9.5k on the revs.
So long as it goes off after who cares?

Dylan1

PostPosted: 14:39 - 18 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never trusted the light alone, because what happens if it fails??!! Seized engine and rebuild costing £250. Just keep it topped up and itll be fine.
Dyl
You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 15:16 - 18 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's stopped coming on now?

damn i hate electrics

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 19:42 - 18 Jun 2002    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

id still get it looked at it could be a tell/tell sighn of a mojor electrical fault.

"besides as long as it runs who cares"

who ever wrote that must obviously not give a shit about there £4000 investment i treat my nsr like it was my child so its worth as much as poss when i sell it

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 19:46 - 18 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i treat my nsr like it was my child so its worth as much as poss when i sell it

Shocked ...you'd sell your child!?...heh... Laughing

Tin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 19:57 - 18 Jun 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

absalutely newborn baby gets a good price at indian restuarants these days lol

zaknafien

PostPosted: 20:36 - 18 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

goes in for it's MOT soon so i'll get it checked at the same time coz it's starting to be a pain to start again.

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 00:23 - 19 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am never having kids... just ain't worth it is it. How many ads do you see saying...

BABY FORCES RELUCTANT SALE

Sell the kid, innit.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 11:19 - 19 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, I wrote "so long as it goes off after who cares?" Not so long as it runs!! We're talking about a dodgy light at high revs. Not a blinker at 4kprm. My bike gets regular service, regular oil and loads of TLC.
Don't see any of you spraying you're own bike... huh? huh??
Smile

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:47 - 19 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
Craig, I wrote "so long as it goes off after who cares?" Not so long as it runs!! We're talking about a dodgy light at high revs. Not a blinker at 4kprm. My bike gets regular service, regular oil and loads of TLC.
Don't see any of you spraying you're own bike... huh? huh??
Smile

u will really need to look after it if its an aprilia

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 11:55 - 19 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nopers. NSR Smile Aprillia's just cost too much overall

rs125
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:00 - 19 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aprillia's just cost too much overall

Why do they?

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:12 - 19 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on insurance, more maintenance needed (apparently) and the parts are more expensive. Also I've read the fuel economy isn't as good as the NSR but I don't know how well-founded that is

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:17 - 19 Jun 2002    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

i went u r going to have to really look after it if u dont want it to bugger up on u

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
More on insurance, more maintenance needed (apparently) and the parts are more expensive. Also I've read the fuel economy isn't as good as the NSR but I don't know how well-founded that is

Insurance is grp 7. Didn't cost any extra for me to change my insurance from a NSR to a RS. Sevice every 2500 miles. Rings at 5000 miles. Piston at 10,000 miles.
You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2