BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV licence scammers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 16:08 - 10 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of people saying "don't let them in". That move certainly won't work, unless you own your university halls. If you don't let the licence people in, they'll just go and whinge to the university, who will let them in. And because they own the rooms and you don't, that'll be allowed.

Taking locks off your doors won't work either. You each need a separate licence if you all signed separate contracts, which in university halls you do. Having locks on your doors is simply a good indication of the fact that you may have signed separate contracts.

However, the good news is that on the TV licensing website, it says this:
Quote:
You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, set-top boxes, video or DVD recorders, computers or mobile phones to watch TV programmes as they are being broadcast.

Now because you are not watching TV programmes as they are being broadcast, you should be ok.

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 16:32 - 10 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageKymco wrote:

luckely if they DO come round to you and nab you, they generally let you buy a licence there and then rather than procecuting you.

Unfortunately, you can also purchase one there and then as you say, but they are still well within their rights to prosecute you anyway. Lots of them will!

Take my word on this, as I know...

Just buy a bloody licence, for the sake of a tenner a month it's really not worth the hassle! It's not as if you haven't got enough on your mind as it is... One less thing can only make your life easier!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:41 - 10 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozzypop1 wrote:

Unfortunately, you can also purchase one there and then as you say, but they are still well within their rights to prosecute you anyway. Lots of them will!

Not if you don't have any receiving equipment tuned in.

Simple:
A) you can have a TV, as above Smile.
B) you can get cheapish converters that will take an analogue source (ie PS2 etc) and change it to VGA. 21" CRT monitors can be got for not much these days.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:14 - 14 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont let them in your room, and they cant no whether or not you have a tv

arguing the rights and wrongs of your use of a tv purely to watch dvds, is less reliable than just not letting them know you have one at all.

they rely on scaring people into paying up, or declaring that they dont have a tv, in which case i guess they ask to have a look around to be sure.

the no comment policy is best in my opinion, dont reply to their mail, and they wont even know if your room is occupied

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 12:44 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
lozzypop1 wrote:

Not if you don't have any receiving equipment tuned in.

That wasn't my point - My point was even if they sort you out with a licence there and then... they are still able to prosecute you! Something which I believe not a lot of people would know...

Except maybe the last bit about buying a licence (if you should have one) being less hassle... Embarassed I didn't think it sounded like I was saying anything other than that. Sorry if it did Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2