Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gang rape victim sentenced to 90 lashes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Gang rape victim sentenced to 90 lashes Reply with quote

Words fail me...

https://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21332543-2,00.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I remember a story a while back about some teenage girl who was raped and then was hanged as a punishment (again in the middle east) Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 01:31 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another example of why Islam should be stamped on at every opportunity.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

All religions should be banned, they serve absolutely no purpose in this day and age.

Pathetic. And poor woman.

Mary Jane
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:29 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things like that make me really angry. In countries like that, I'm sure that more rape goes unreported because it's seen as such a shameful thing.

In Malaysia, it's not called "rape" unless there are at least 3 male witnesses. ugh.

strawberry
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:58 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely concur that the sentence pronounced on that woman is disgraceful and my heart goes out to her (hopefully her appeal will succeed) however, to suggest on the back of this that Islam and/or all religion should be banned is simplistic at best.

We (referring to the UK) do not live in an Islamic society. For the most part we do not live in a Christian society either. Or indeed any other type of religious society. We do however live in a society where victims/survivors of rape generally do not report these incidents to the police or even their family/friends because of worries over how they will be treated. We live in a society where people who have been raped are not uncommonly told that they somehow deserved it because of what they were wearing or where they were walking or what time of day or night they were out. We live in a society where a man could not even rape his wife until 1991 because upon marriage she was deemed to have consented to sex whenever her husband wanted it. We live in a society where men who have been raped are told obviously they must be gay (as if this somehow makes it ok) and therefore they must have enjoyed it. We live in a society where rape and sexual assaults are routinely minimised.

In short, we do not live in a society that has *that* much room to throw stones here.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:26 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

strawberry wrote:

In short, we do not live in a society that has *that* much room to throw stones here.

I believe quite the opposite.

The fact that we have struggled to make more decent laws that recognise people's diverse beliefs and core rights suggest that we have grown - however slowly - as a society.

Knowing how toss our society was in the Dark Ages - and how much better things are in many ways now - gives us every right to point out where Islamic theocracies are going wrong.

They certainly don't stand on ceremony pointing out our infidel failings.

No religion should be banned, they just shouldn't be allowed to be enshrined in law.

Our own Church of England is almost the ideal state religion - it's moral framework roughly represents where we are as a nation today, without it having much (any) influence over our government or law.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:47 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Our own Church of England is almost the ideal state religion - it's moral framework roughly represents where we are as a nation today, without it having much (any) influence over our government or law.

/me jumps up and down pointing at the house of lords screaming 'BISHOP!'.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:36 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
Mister James wrote:

/me jumps up and down pointing at the house of lords screaming 'BISHOP!'.

Meh, it's not like getting into the Lords because you are a bishop is any less reputable than most of the other methods!

scorps
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: having lived in saudi Reply with quote

for several years, the news of the lashing is not uncommon, i have personally witnessed actions against women and children or the results of these actions in the hosptal where i was in jeddah and if there really is a god then these people will burn in hell well i hope they do.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 07 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:

That almost merits a "funny" rating. Whilst the C of E may, as you postulate, put forth a basically decent moral framework it has so little impact in modern society as to be insignificant. It has almost no influence in government or law, and less in the "real world". In that respect I'm inclined to agree, it is indeed a good representation of "where we are as a nation today", a decent set of morals that are totally ignored Confused

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 07 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think religion should be banned, just the practising of it in any public place, people shouldn't be allowed to show what religion they follow or knock on other people's doors and con the nieve into believing that there is a greater being. Unless that is if people would like to watch bill and ted and follow the wild stallions. Laughing

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 07 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously this is disgraceful.
But to start saying we should ban religion is in effect saying we should ban free speech, and freedom of expression.

I'm 100% athiest myself, but so long as you obey the rules of the country while doing so, you ought to be able to practice any religion you please.

Anyone who wants religion banned, is as bad as any Muslim who wants to ban me or anyone who isn't muslim from drawing a picture of Mohammed or Allah.

I personally rejoice in diversity.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:12 - 07 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
Mister James wrote:

That almost merits a "funny" rating. Whilst the C of E may, as you postulate, put forth a basically decent moral framework it has so little impact in modern society as to be insignificant. It has almost no influence in government or law, and less in the "real world". In that respect I'm inclined to agree, it is indeed a good representation of "where we are as a nation today", a decent set of morals that are totally ignored Confused

All you've done is re-hash what I'd already written! My point was that it is GOOD that the established church is not an established theocracy!

Personally, I'd like everyone to adopt a more 'Anglican Church' outlook on life, but I'm quite content to live in a society where I am not able to force my background on others.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:44 - 07 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article makes it clear that although she was raped, prior to that she had committed the offence under their law, of being alone with a man who wasnt her relative

Her punishment wasnt anything to do with her being raped. It was just that her offence came to light as a result of reporting the rape.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:59 - 07 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for anyone else, but allow me to reassure you that I was well aware of that before your news flash!

I find the alleged offense (and subsequent punishment) just as shocking as if she was actually being punished for the rape.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 07 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm 100% athiest myself, but so long as you obey the rules of the country while doing so, you ought to be able to practice any religion you please.

Anyone who wants religion banned, is as bad as any Muslim who wants to ban me or anyone who isn't muslim from drawing a picture of Mohammed or Allah.

Nope , this does not make sense! , and anyway atheism is actually a faith, faith in no god = faith!.

the problem is religious people tend to brain wash their children this is pushing faiths onto them without
informed consent,

also ALL religions have a duty to convert the unbelievers,. I have a duty to convert the believers, and I shake
the faith of believers with excellent logic to defeat their crappy, conversion methods, trying to convert me is
like trying to justify voting in UK elections as a non resident.

Evil Deity theory works great

So does anti clock maker theory

So does wrong deity theory.

Wrong deity theory is my favourite , where somebody tries pascal's wager against you , where you ain't
got nowt to lose if you are a believer, I remember a story where a muslim converted an unbeliver somebody
else said yeah but what if A**** is the wrong deity? , wouldn't your deitty punish you even more harshly for
choosing the wrong one? . he promptly became aspostate.

Leave me alone though and you get left alone, I'm tired of Xians striking up random conversations in the
city when I'm trying to get some lunch, trying to convert me ,

Quote:

But to start saying we should ban religion is in effect saying we should ban free speech, and freedom of expression.

Yeah but your beloved New Labour loves this, people wearing anti blair T-shirts are arrested under anti terror laws
heckling is now a terrorist officence (Walter Wolfgang , if the Journos hadn;t seen it he'd be found suicided in a
field), critique of religion is now also banned under religious hatered laws.

Curiously it (the anti hatered laws) was designed purely to buy Muslim votes , but it backfired cus such laws were used
against the very core voters they tried to bribe!

Glass houses and stones comes to mind.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 07 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
Her punishment wasnt anything to do with her being raped. It was just that her offence came to light as a result of reporting the rape.

And it's fair for that?

Article wrote:
Unrelated men and women are forbidden from interacting in public in Saudi Arabia

strawberry
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:20 - 07 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
also ALL religions have a duty to convert the unbelievers,. I have a duty to convert the believers, and I shake
the faith of believers with excellent logic to defeat their crappy, conversion methods, trying to convert me is

Or not. My faith/religion does not require or even ask me to convert people who do not share my belief. If you wish to follow it, you can. If you don't, you shouldn't. Simple really.

Also, judging from your posts I find it hard to believe you could shake a pair of maracas let alone the faith of a believer.

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
Obviously this is disgraceful.

I personally rejoice in diversity.

ORLY?

It's reason's like this that Islam should NEVER have been allowed to reach the UK. (Pics)
I for one feel sick and disgusted that our goverment allows these people to live in the UK, at the same time hate everything about it, except it's benifit allowances.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan 4RR wrote:

ORLY?

It's reason's like this that Islam should NEVER have been allowed to reach the UK. (Pics)
I for one feel sick and disgusted that our goverment allows these people to live in the UK, at the same time hate everything about it, except it's benifit allowances.

The people with these banners are scum. They don't represent anyone but themselves.
I don't like Islam or any other religion, but I would fight for their right to have that view.
I have some muslim friends who feel the same way.

What you are doing generalising is exactly the same as Spanish bar owners saying Brits are scum, because the shite that we send over there get puking drunk and fight in their streets
Or that all English football fans are hooligans.
Or that all bikers are trouble...

You need to get your nose out of the right wing propoganda press, and actually talk to them. Some, no most, are decent people.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Nope , this does not make sense! , and anyway atheism is actually a faith, faith in no god = faith!.

Agree. I have 'faith' that god does not exist. I am not in any way religious though
Quote:

the problem is religious people tend to brain wash their children this is pushing faiths onto them without
informed consent,

Per-spec-tive
So does a non-religious person - I will probably instow a non-religious 'brain-washing' on my son
'informed consent' - Who is informed?

Quote:

I always try my best to convert religious people... its the same for ANYTHING you believe.
The voting... not gonna go there. I'm gonna play by whatever rules I'm handed. I aint gonna cheat.

Quote:
Yeah but your beloved New Labour loves this, people wearing anti blair T-shirts are arrested under anti terror laws
heckling is now a terrorist officence (Walter Wolfgang , if the Journos hadn;t seen it he'd be found suicided in a
field), critique of religion is now also banned under religious hatered laws.

Can't stand New Labour.
Just can't stand the others more.
Labour NOWHERE near represent my beliefs.
Quote:

Curiously it (the anti hatered laws) was designed purely to buy Muslim votes , but it backfired cus such laws were used
against the very core voters they tried to bribe!

Glass houses and stones comes to mind.

I think soime of the laws recently have been bonkers...
But then they don;t represent my beliefs...

I do however think everyone should try to be decent to other people... Simple
Do unto others...
Right bed... been out drinking for the 3rd night in a row and my kidneys ache Smile

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

strawberry wrote:

Also, judging from your posts I find it hard to believe you could shake a pair of maracas let alone the faith of a believer.

touche' , and you even managed to slip in an insult, why what mythical fairy in the sky do YOU believe in ?

and anyway its just that converters always try 4 tricks on you:

pascal's wager ,

clock maker theory,

and the powers of a deity,

I'm better than you cus I believe, you even tried it in your post here

But as previously meantioned in a much older post organised religion is just a business and a great one at that , what other business other than lapdancing and strippers can sell the same 'product' over and over and over again at nearly zero base cost? .
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:06 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
I do however think everyone should try to be decent to other people... Simple

Do unto others...

how xian of you , its noble ,

infact

Leviticus

Don't steal or lie 19:11, 13

"Love thy neighbor as thyself." 19:18

but in this dog eat dog world , people will step over you just for a tiny advantage,

there was a research paper which said that nice people always do end up last, esp at work said that they help others at the expense to themselves , its why all the nice people never get above middle managers and the top 9 bosses are all pretty ruthless.

girlies and good guys is testiment to this fact! , since women always seem to leave and go off with men who treat them like crap.

Last edited by Itchy on 09:17 - 08 Mar 2007; edited 1 time in total

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 08 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
'informed consent' - Who is informed?

informed consent means that like for all contracts and EULAs you should read the small print seek evidence for and against, and make up your own mind as a responsible adult (and therefore not a minor) as to what to believe or not to believe.

www.skepticsannotatedbible.com
www.skepticsanontatedkoran.com

are useful resources for this purpose , although they are a bit of a piss take, they do list some of the 'good stuff' in them, and also the bad the contradictor etc.

the good to people thing is sort of lifted from the bible.

its like you saying me = Conspiracy believer, and the moon landings, I say don't know , the fact that the EU spent millions building a gigantic telepscope in Chillie , and there is the Hubble in Orbit which we can use to see the junk they left on the moon, this would clear up any deniers ,

yet the governments are kind of reluctant to direct a telescope to have a look , considering we have satellites in orbit than can measure your dick from space, the moon is just a small factor increase such theories exist due to lack of trust/faith in government as they have huge credibility gaps)

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2