Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

long distance tour: what should i take?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by G (17 Mar 2007 - 19:13)
View previous topic : View next topic  

-Ali-
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:50 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: long distance tour: what should i take? Reply with quote

In the summer i am doing a 12 000 ish mile tour. I'm looking at buying a suzuki gs 500. What basic tools/spares should i take with me?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fire
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Re: long distance tour: what should i take? Reply with quote

alistairhitchcock wrote:
In the summer i am doing a 12 000 ish mile tour. I'm looking at buying a suzuki gs 500. What basic tools/spares should i take with me?

12,000 Shocked

planning on going where?

tools?..meh... take a CG125 Thumbs Up
Write off! Honda NSR150 RR ('01) - Sold Cagiva Mito Evolution ('00) - Sold Honda NSR125 ('01) - Current Gasgas TXT 250 ('98) - Sold Kawasaki Z750 ('10) - Write off! Yamaha FZ1 ('09) - Current Ducati Streetfighter 848 ('14)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit card, AA, RAC or Green Flag type recovery zip ties and a roll of gaffa tape. Thats it. Wink

What type of touring are you doing and where abouts are you going?

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest pm-ing nath, he will no doubt have some very usefull tips (in fact diging out his thed might be a good idea)

For a couple of things..

Some sort of tyre plugging apparatus (you might not need it at all, but if you do you'll be glad you took it)
A compressor (maybe)
Spare cables (or spare nipples at least)
Oil (you'll need to be doing a fair few changes really, its a good idea anyway, but it will burn it along the way)
Headlight bulbs (ask nath why)
sure theres loads more..

Also maybe do some maintainance beforehand, chain and sprockets, oil change, CHECK EVERYTHING IS WORKING and test thoroughly any repairs you make before you go Wink

Check https://www.anchorsupplies.com/ and get yourself a army kit bag, maybe two, these will take soooo much luggage its rediculous and are cheap and very hard wearing.

Anyways, good luck, where abouts are ou planning on going?

Steve M
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:18 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on here ... https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Esp. the trip planning section ... https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tripplan/ and the packing section https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tripplan/equipment/PackingList.php

It should have all the informaton, resources, and backup that you need to know about.

-Ali-
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:23 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to Vladivostok in Russia. I've already found horizons unlimited. I won't be able to fix any engine trouble because i don't know how, so bearing that in mind i don't need to take them sort of tools.

Steve M
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:26 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Re: long distance tour: what should i take? Reply with quote

FIRE_NSR wrote:
alistairhitchcock wrote:

12,000 Shocked

planning on going where?

tools?..meh... take a CG125 Thumbs Up

Wuss ... C90 Razz Or VFR800 (brand loyalty stikes again)

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUSIC PLAYER!!!!
thats a priority above all things

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 22:43 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel as light as possible, wash clothes while you're out there, buy oil in petrol stations (unless it's thirsty), use a travel towel and don't take any shit like compressors or laptops Razz

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 22:49 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

12,000 miles will use a chain and sprokets up in no time on a chain bike like a gs500, what about a shaft bike like a gt550/750, ntv, cx500, old bmw etc.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condoms, good for carrying petrol and nobbing skanky French chicks.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually getting hold of an old shaftdriven monster of some sort would make allot of sense.. NTV's are cheap as now and not much to go wrong with them, there also reasonably modern.. (have somebody ready to post parts to you if you need to, this might prove in very handy)

Make sure its running well before you go and run it into the ground, unless your taking a brand spanker then shipping back from Vladivostok is going to be stupid tbh

^+ what 1930 ariel said, also handy for carrying water, take a pair of trousers and tie a knot in one end, put the filled prophylactic in there = water carrier..

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

alistairhitchcock wrote:
I'm going to Vladivostok in Russia. I've already found horizons unlimited. I won't be able to fix any engine trouble because i don't know how, so bearing that in mind i don't need to take them sort of tools.

I would start to learn now then......
You need to be able to do at least basic maintenance while you are away. So carrying a decent tool kit is a must, and not just the std bike one either. Stuff like a socket set, decent screw drivers and some form of electrical tester.
As for spares do some research on bike dealers in the area's you will be travelling through to see how you will be fixed if you do need one for parts. Might even sway which type of bike you go for if there are no specific dealers in some area's.
Also things like spare bulbs etc are mandatory in certain countries.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Te Govorish po Ruski yasak? Isli net u vas yest bolshoiya problema. Te nujna urokov ochen bistro!

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximum respect, i did 2000+ miles in a week on my old knackered GS500.

I ragged the shit out of it all the way and the downpipes snapped off from the headers, lucky i was in scotland and they have efficient breakers up there, saying that even if they hadent i rode it around for a couple of days with NO exhaust, not even downpipes, it went slow like 50mph and chugged all the way there but my good did it sound mental...

Mine used to absolutely guzzle the oil, im talking 1 litre every 200-300 miles... mind you regardless of that fact i was never easy on it... Flat out all the time, on the return leg i just went into halfords about brought 5 litres and topped up whenever i filled up for petrol...

Speaking of petrol Careful with your tank range on a GS500.. 100-120 was what i would get, but as i said... ragged to fuck.

I wouldent worry too much about the engine, mine had 60k+ when i got it and never missed a beat through a year of abuse, bulletproof little bike... Just keep that oil topped up...

Cable tie replacement clutch and throttle cables alongside the current ones, i would go for engine bars or some crash protection, at the very least spare brake/clutch levers??

Rubbers like Ariel says...

err... Chainlube? what do they use out there? yaks piss? Razz, or does some massive russian guy appear out of the woods, and pick up a larda and drain its oil into your chain somehow?/

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I sugested in my previous post he will need to learn Russian. A phrase book is not good enough. I have been studying the language for near 20 years on and off and it is a source of great pleasure but hard work.
English is OK in the big cities like Moscow and Peterberg but you is buggered in the rest of the motherland.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 01:22 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

1930 Ariel wrote:
I have been studying the language for near 20 years on and off and it is a source of great pleasure but hard work.

Is that why you look like lenin? Laughing
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youth.
Vladamir Iluvaich Lenin looks like me. not me like him.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are buying a bike as Mr Z says get something shaft drive one less thing to worry about CXs and NTVs also have a much greater tank range and can carry an enourmous amount of stuff on the back , GS500s can but they don't take it so well.

the only real complication of NTVs is that they are liquid cooled while GS500s are aircooled, you lose a part you gain a part, I'd take a GT550 meself
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.northcrownriders.com/

maybe you should ask these guys , but then they took BMWs , big GS1150s, probably sells shaft drive very well
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, just thought of another..

12v soldering iron, solder and know how to use it.. (also obviously spare wire, duct tape, scotchloks as well are useful, spare fuses of every size)
Also douse any ignition leads with silicon spray before setting off..

-Ali-
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:15 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sort of tools do you think i should take i.e. allen keys, socket set, adjustable spanner, pump and tyre repair kit is all i think i should take. Anyone got any more advances on this?

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally the standard toolkit SHOULD have everything you need to do most work on the road, a good place to start (but with stuff not made of cheese)...

no point taking a full allen key set if your bike only has 1/2/none on it.. same with spanners.. most of the time I'm using 8,10,12,13,14,17 rarely anything other.. you will need somehting to change spark plugs, or even just remove them if your bike becomes waterlogged.

Good set of properly sized screwdrivers (this way they wont get mashed) consider replacing screws with allen bolts (doing this sort of trip i would) also an excellent opportunity to check things are tightened, copper slip bolts and locktite ones that need it.

ALLWAYS useful are mole grips, take these anyway, 1 needle nose and 1 large, adjustable spanner too.

Your saying you don't know how to repair anything but you will have to learn! bare minimum would be chain changes, replaceing tyres, replaceing brakepads and keeping them maintained, being able to deal with water in the engine is also going to be needed, you WILL get it in there at some point.. the ingenuity of mechanics out there is legendary but it'll do you no good if your in the middle of nowhere, even the busyer roads you might be on your own for many hours.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

a mobile phone charger that's wind up/ solar or AA battery powered? or mayb a spare charged battery?

my phone always runs out when I need it the most...

Get your tyres glooped up, it doesnt stop all punctures but some so Thumbs Up

-Ali-
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:44 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you say it's necessary to take a socket set(only what i need) or should i just take the socket i need for spark plugs. I will be also be able to do what you listed, just not anything engine related. Sort add on what you've said onto my list and i should be pretty much set tool wise
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2