Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

losing a good friend due to them passing on

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

firefox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: losing a good friend due to them passing on Reply with quote

Hi im after advice on how to take my mind off the death of my friend, maybe you have heard it on the news, he was 15 called daniel ( danson to us ) he was drunk and went swimming in a quarry and drowned Crying or Very sad they found his body the other day and its been playing on my mind getting me down even worse, what topped it off was my cousin hung himself 1 month ago and my aunty and uncle both died within the same month so thats 4 people close to me ive lost and im struggling to cope now.

any advice would be great
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really give you any advice all I want to say is I'm sorry to hear that and hope you feel better soon. Thumbs Up

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:15 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

go see your gp not some internet chat forum... just my 2 cents and sorry to hear about the bad month, hate to think what it'd be like, but honestly a GP is your best bet he/she could advise you better than anyone here.

firefox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, funny enough sparks ive been sitting watching one of your first stunt vids over and over Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:26 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

firefox wrote:
Thanks guys, funny enough sparks ive been sitting watching one of your first stunt vids over and over Confused

Cool, this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn3g2t3J-Z4

theres a couple of other vids on my youtube.

firefox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and no ive got that one on my pc but its more like 8 mins long, dont supose you have msn could do with some wheeling tips lol

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:35 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

firefox wrote:
yes and no ive got that one on my pc but its more like 8 mins long, dont supose you have msn could do with some wheeling tips lol

I've not done an 8 min long video?? you sure you not got me mixed up with someone else Laughing

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear m8.

I think it would be best to talk to someone, a friend, your parents or even a counsellor. Sometimes letting out your feelings is the best thing you can do. Karma

firefox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel stupid now i looked at the mb instead of length Evil or Very Mad

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:39 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

firefox wrote:
i feel stupid now i looked at the mb instead of length Evil or Very Mad

hahaha nice one Laughing

sparks_cw@hotmail.com for msn

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:36 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your friend? Sad and your relatives.

You dont mention how old you are? but if the lad that died was 15, then I should imagine your quite young.

Dont sit and bottle your feelings up. Try and explain to your parents, or some other adult that you feel close to, how you are feeling, with a view to making an appointment to see your gp. They will be able to sort you out some kind of counselling and help you make sense of how you are feeling at the moment.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 08:10 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, wouldn't the GP try and perscribe something?

I might be wrong, but it's a bad bad idea taking anything for this.

Talking to people helps. Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear of your loses Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

firefox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

answer to your question im 17, he was in the year below me.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can offer is don't try to distract yourself and take your mind off it, learn to accept it. Most people seem to think that ignoring emotional shit is the way to deal with things and to be honest, it's not.

Death may or may not be a good thing, but the fact is, it's there. It happens. At the end of the day if the person who died cared about you or was any kind of friend at all then no way would they want you to be feeling miserable. Pick somewhere special to you or them, head there and sit and have a think about some of the good times. Remember the person, I don't mean mythologise how wise wonderful and good they were, I just mean remember your friend both good points and bad and then wish them well. Maybe they'll hear it, maybe they won't, but you'll have said goodbye and that's a very important part of accepting things like this.

techierob
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:09 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

really sorry to hear about that.

How are his family handling things? Does he have any brothers or sisters? I find that the best way to cope with a death is to try and deal with the fallout. The family would almost certainly be grateful of an extra pair of hands round about this time, and busying yourself with the arrangements is the best way to work off the grief imo.

For what it's worth, when my father died last week, I found that things were a lot more bearable when I was with my mother and sister. We'd be bright and cheery so long as we were together, but none of us could keep from breaking down if we were left alone. Dealing with the death certificate, notifying the family and making funeral arrangements gave us all something to focus on and kept us going for the first few days. If it hadn't been for that, I'm sure I'd have kept crying 'til my eyes bled.

My favourite answer to bereavement is a proper irish wake. Getting together with mutual friends, getting bladdered and reminiscing has always worked for me. The idea sounds barbaric to some people, but I fully endorse this method. It encourages you to remember the dead, but to concentrate on the living. The best way to pay your respects to a lost friend or relative is look after the things they looked after and care about the things they cared about.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes we see to much to soon in life, sounds like you are in this position at the moment.

As Tarmacsurfer says dont hide from the pain, sometimes its better to chase it, to get a hold on it before it has a chance to consume you and you do something stupid.

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 14:45 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find forcing yourself to think about it and letting the emotions out is the best remedy, gives you a release allowing you to get back to normal for a while. Otherwise just taking your mind off things by watching a good film or playing a game that requires all your attention.

Sorry to see you have had such a bad month, but take your turn at being the strong one for those suffering,and let them be strong for you when you need it Thumbs Up

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 16:08 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwaker6r wrote:

Sorry to see you have had such a bad month, but take your turn at being the strong one for those suffering,and let them be strong for you when you need it Thumbs Up

Sometimes being 'the strong one' is worse for you....
Unfortunately, adults seem to forget that teenagers struggle to come to terms with grief, and try to discourage you from expressing your feelings of frustration, anger and loss. They make you feel as if you have to look as if you are coping better than you really are. Sometimes you'll feel as if you have to look like you're ok because if feels that if you don't, You'll just upset people more.
I know from experience that when someone close commits suicide it takes months before it actually feels real, as if your mind is actually trying to protect you by shutting it all out until something happens that hammers it home. Thats when the grief takes over.

I'm not trying to make you feel like a child here Firefox, as I hope you know I wouldn't do that, but don't try to be a grown up about all this... let yourself cry, scream, do silly/meaningful/sad/happy things in remembrance... But most importantly... Remember the pain doesn't last forever - it seems that it will... But it doesn't.

x Loz x

cokker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:22 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozzypop1 wrote:
I'm not trying to make you feel like a child here Firefox, as I hope you know I wouldn't do that, but don't try to be a grown up about all this... let yourself cry, scream, do silly/meaningful/sad/happy things in remembrance... But most importantly... Remember the pain doesn't last forever - it seems that it will... But it doesn't.

x Loz x

Agreed, don't bottle it up.

Act strong in front of friends and family if you wish (i did when losing my step-dad and a mate) but if you get some time to yourself there's no harm letting it out.

Blackrhythms
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:42 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my very good friend was killed off his bike the first year I was biking, I thought I'd never be able to cope with the pain and the loss. It hit our little 'gang' so hard. We'd had all the older bikers telling us about friends they'd lost through biking, but having not lost anyone that way ourselves before that, we couldn't really relate to it.

When it happened, we all rallied together and we talked endlessly about him - he was such a funny charachter and we laughed and cried as we remembered all the stuff we'd got up to. We went to all our favourite hangouts and remembered how we christened that humpback bridge 'Benny's Bridge' after him when he did a perfect donut on top of it and claimed the bridge as his own. We went to the old closed off road where he'd burned his tyre to the shape of the T on the word STOP. We went out to the lake where we'd all gone to camp out. I cried pretty much non-stop the whole time - I thought I was never going to be able to stop.

We finally went out to his home and talked about him with his parents and brother and sister. Ultimately, we got together and remembered him, laughing and crying through it all, and that helped us to deal with what for us was one of the biggest losses we'd ever had to deal with.

It was hard, but we all got through it. As others have said above, don't try and distract yourself, but rather, remember, with other mutual friends, the laughs and the rows and all the times you spent together. I found that way helped us all to deal with it better. Karma

firefox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

techierob wrote:
really sorry to hear about that.

How are his family handling things? Does he have any brothers or sisters? I find that the best way to cope with a death is to try and deal with the fallout. The family would almost certainly be grateful of an extra pair of hands round about this time, and busying yourself with the arrangements is the best way to work off the grief imo.

For what it's worth, when my father died last week, I found that things were a lot more bearable when I was with my mother and sister. We'd be bright and cheery so long as we were together, but none of us could keep from breaking down if we were left alone. Dealing with the death certificate, notifying the family and making funeral arrangements gave us all something to focus on and kept us going for the first few days. If it hadn't been for that, I'm sure I'd have kept crying 'til my eyes bled.

My favourite answer to bereavement is a proper irish wake. Getting together with mutual friends, getting bladdered and reminiscing has always worked for me. The idea sounds barbaric to some people, but I fully endorse this method. It encourages you to remember the dead, but to concentrate on the living. The best way to pay your respects to a lost friend or relative is look after the things they looked after and care about the things they cared about.

Im so sorry to hear about your loss i know how much it hurts, his family want alone time at the moment, they pulled his body out of the lake infront of his sister on her birthday, i went yesturday to lay flowers and to visit where he was found, there is news on what caused him to think he was so safe but im not willing to give the details as the police have just found out. ( we knew before them Rolling Eyes )

best wishes

dodge

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 16 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Guys, wouldn't the GP try and perscribe something?

I might be wrong, but it's a bad bad idea taking anything for this.

Talking to people helps. Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear of your loses Firefox.

Dugs are no cure for the emotions death brings. But, if your not coping, they might just help you through.

Last edited by J0Al1 on 21:33 - 17 Mar 2007; edited 1 time in total

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 17 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth you considering giving samaritans a ring, they are anonymous and you just pick up the phone and chat to them, talking to a stranger can really help you but as said, don't bottle it all up cos later on when you finally get used to him not being around, the grief will hit, so try to deal with it early, then the pain will be easier later on. Sorry for your losses and hope you get through it, cos over time it will start to heal Karma Thumbs Up

gavin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 17 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

well......i put my friends coffin in the ground, took up a spade and filled the hole in, then got down on my knees and decorated the grave with the help of a few others. then i went to the local pub and got horribly drunk, and made new friends with friends of his that i didnt know.

that helped quite a lot.

trouble is, his death coincided with a few other troubles and all added up it was a bit too much.....i went of the rails for a bit, had a couple of affairs, lost my job, an unborn child and nearly lost my house.

drugs dont work, therapy dosent really work either; all i can say is, losing someone close is very hard, you wont totally get over it, because it changes your perspective, but you will know when you have dealt with it. it just takes time to get there. good luck finding your way Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chatting is great catharsis,

I think you should take this as a warning and a great motivator in life,

I always having niggling doubts to myself now and again,

I'm thinking of backing out of this tour , since its going to be solo, which in my book is a bit iffy

but I am reminded of this:

"Life is short," , "make the most of it"

celebrate their lives, remember their lives rationalise and try to find some peace or acceptance
do not bury it or play distraction on it since suppressing it does nothing and may lead to future
problems, and take note of the above "life IS short , make the most of it"

this is probably why I feel so incredibly uncomfortable watching TV , or sitting in a dead end job
or even just having a lie in , my own experiences with my old riders , some of my friends who can
no longer be with us causes this.

Though this isn't an excuse to abuse your health or anything.

Although YMMV , I do not claim to have the answers to everything in life.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2