Budget day!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 Mar 2007    Post subject: Budget day! Reply with quote

What do you expect from tommorow's budget ?,

And what would like to get in tommorow's budget?

I expect that:

Taxes for working people will go up very slightly (may elections)

Dole/benefits for non working people (about 10 million people ie Labour's
core vote 8.5milion econonically inactive 1.5 on the dole) will rise sharply
to bribe them to vote Labour.

I would like:

Less taxes on essentials , VAT is supposed to be only for luxury items
its on almost everything.

Less taxes on work more on consumption
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 20 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't have anything positive to say, but to all those who voted Labour give yourself a pat on the back you selfish fuckstains! Labour have ruined millions of lives Thumbs Down

Whats this the 100th tax in 10 years. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Middle Finger

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/19/nbrown19.xml
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jull
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:11 - 20 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol -up, car tax - up, wine - up, ciggies - up, beer - up.

And some sort of extra tax for drinking your booze at home, apparently the government reckon that home drinkers are drinking too much now Rolling Eyes

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:22 - 20 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Taxes on most things up. Anything they can justify as a green tax will go up a lot. Suspect a few popular taxes will have a minor drop.

All the best

Keith

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 20 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry I don't have anything positive to say, but to all those who voted Labour give yourself a pat on the back you selfish fuckstains! Labour have ruined millions of lives

Agree

I dont vote. Thumbs Up

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to bend over, grab the f*^k rail, grit your teeth and take it where we always do. And everyone can keep voting labour 'cos your parents did.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 11:07 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
I dont vote.

Yes, not voting at all does a lot of good compared to voting for labour. Rolling Eyes

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 11:19 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who moan about Taxes going up are always the first to complain that they either get crap care on the NHS or their children gets a poor education.

Taxes in general need to go up to meet the demands of the NHS and education system.

If it was any other party in government the taxes still would have risen, if not you can guarantee this country would be in an even worse state than it already is.

I suspect Tax for cars will rise sharply and possibly the first fuel duty rises for quite a while considering they have been frozen in the past few budgets, petrol prices aren't that extortionate right now so Mr Brown might sneak in a little rise there. Cigarette Tax will probably rise by about 7p per packet of 20. Beer will probably go up about 2p again?

4x4's will be condemned to the HUGE tax bill once again. Funny cause I was watching Midlands Today and Land Rover have just released a new Explorer that has a vastly more economical and environmentally friendly engine. Will the hike reflect the carbon emissions? I doubt it, however if one thing it is encouraging 4x4 manufacturers to develop their engines more.

I have a feeling motorcycles might be caught up in a tax hike this time as well.

As for spending, well there are hints to more money per pupil in state schools, personally I think more money should be taken out of state welfare benefits and given to the NHS and/or pensions, the old people today still don't get enough from the government.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow more and more regressive taxes , ie the poorer you are the more taxes you pay so if you made 8K last year, you'd have paid 300 in tax , now you pay 600,

urgh this is becoming the USSK
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 14:44 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the BBC
:-

Quote:

Point-by-point: Budget
The key points from Chancellor Gordon Brown's eleventh Budget:

# Basic rate of income tax to fall from 22p to 20p from April next year.

# Beer will rise by 1p a pint from midnight Sunday, cider by 1p a litre, wine by 5p a bottle and sparkling wine by 7p. Duty on spirits will be frozen.

# Cigarettes to rise by 11p a packet. VAT on nicotine patches to be cut from 17.5% to 5%.

# Road tax on highest-polluting vehicles up to £400 from April next year.

# Fuel duty up 2p per litre, in line with inflation.

# Top-rate income tax threshold will rise to £43,000 from April 2009.

# Education spending in England will rise from £60bn this year to £74bn in 2010. From now to 2010 spending per pupil rise by a further 20 per cent, 10 per cent in real terms, to £6,600

# Corporation tax will be cut from 30p to 28p from April next year.

# Tax exemption for capital gains will rise from £8,800 to £9,200, and will be £18,400 for married couples.

# Inheritance tax will rise from £285,000 now to £350,000 in 2010.

# Child benefit, for a first child, will rise from £17.45 a week to £20 a week by 2010.

#

Tax-free allowance for pensioners under 75 will rise in three stages from £7,280 to £9,770 in 2011. For over-75s, the tax free allowance will rise annually from £7,420 to by £10,000 by 2011.

# Grants of £300 to £4,000 for pensioners installing insulation and central heating in their homes.

# Until 2012 all new zero carbon homes up to £500,000 will be exempt from stamp duty.

# 50,000 16 to 17-year-olds who sign activity and learning agreements will receive a training wage in return for gaining skills.

# All the 125,000 people who lost their pensions because of company insolvency will get help with a financial assistance scheme increased from £2bn to £8bn.

# Mr Brown said the British economy was growing faster than all the other G7 economies. Growth is stronger than the Euro area, Japan and America.

# Inflation will be on target in 2008 and 2009, according to forecasts.

# In the last year investment has grown by 6%, business investment by 7%, and inward investment by 10%. Business investment is forecast to rise again by more than 7% this year.

# In the last year employment has risen, with 220,000 more men and women in work.

# In 2008, Britain's growth will be the highest in the G7, between 2.5% and 3%.

# The landfill tax will, rise by £8 each year from April 2008.

# Britain's net borrowing, which in the early 1990s went as high as 8% of national income is this year just 2.7%. It will fall to 1.4% by 2012.

# Asset sales will rise from £18bn to £36bn, with the sale of spectrum, a £6bn sale of the student loan book, and further financial and corporate sales at home and overseas.

# Investment in schools, hospitals, security and defence and infrastructure will rise from £43bn this year to £60bn by 2012.

# Total government spending will rise to £674bn by 2010/11.

# An extra £400m to be allocated to the Ministry of Defence to cover overseas commitments in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere.

# Investment in the NHS in England will rise by £8bn this year.

# Public investment in science will rise from £5bn this year to £6.3bn by 2010-11.

# Tax rate on small companies to be raised in three stages from 20p this year to 22p in 2009.

# £50m for a 10-country initiative across central Africa to prevent the destruction of the second largest rain forest in the world.

# £800m to the Environmental Transformation Fund, jointly run by the international development and environment secretaries.

The chancellor sat down at 1320 GMT

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not that in the main it will affect me day to day as I am now in Sweden
(It can always affect my savings pension etc)

I did the calulation... and
BBC calculator wrote:

Next year, the indications are that you will be £34.51 better off.

based on my last job.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:16 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
BBC calculator wrote:

Next year, the indications are that you will be £34.51 better off.

Thinking the BBC calculator seems to say I'll be slightly better off next year.
However, I don't think it'll take into account any price hikes by the gas/electric/fuel companies Rolling Eyes

Hmmm, better off, is there an election soon? (ok, I know it should be around 2009). Is that why he's promising increase in stuff starting in 2010?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i save on income tax but spend it on petrol. pretty even.

whats all the delayed until 2010 about? isnt this for the upcoming year?
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:07 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next year, the indications are that you will be £255.16 better off.

And I intend on getting road tax for free as well so that's another couple of hundred. Smile

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 17:32 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
The people who moan about Taxes going up are always the first to complain that they either get crap care on the NHS or their children gets a poor education.

Taxes in general need to go up to meet the demands of the NHS and education system.

A friend of mine commented that anyone doing a degree should be banned from entering discussions in relation to tax since, at large, you don't earn a living which gets taxed, or own a home, or really have any worries financially which are directly related to tax.

I doubt you pay council tax, stamp duty, PAYE, capital gains etc to see the real financial impact that the budget has directly on your pocket.

More over, why should people not complain about NHS care and education? Given labour has spent more than any other governmnet on these issues, they have yet to yield anything like a success so in effect they have blown all that extra money we give them for nothing (except mre hospitals closing and kids leaving school illeterate at the age of 16). Why should the government delve deeper into our pockets to fund their inept selves.

Give it a few year in the real world when creditors are banging down your door and you actually account for all your monthly earnings then you'll appreciate how tax rises suck.

The people who don't moan about Taxes going up are the ones who are so wealthy it doesn't affect them or the ones who don't really pay tax.

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 17:41 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the name of the specific tax(capital gains), but at present if you own a second home then the government wll take 40% of the sales profit once you sell it. Old GB wants this revised so you you then have to pay that 40% on your first home when you come to sell it.

I'm not sure when this comes into effect but its another tax rise which will take a massive wallop from people. Its fucking outrageous to take from people, who have paid tax on the money they used to buy the house to then take 40% of their profit to.

edit.....The above has only been proposed, but it just shows how shameless GB will be when it comes to taking your money.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:57 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next year, the indications are that you will be £33.27 worse off.

That was with only 6 pints of alcohol consumed per week and 20 litres of fuel a week. Laughing
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
The people who moan about Taxes going up are always the first to complain that they either get crap care on the NHS or their children gets a poor education
Hi. Last year I had a delicate operation performed on my eardrum. This needed local anesthetic to knock me out. After I'd had the operation I was pretty much told to leave after 30 minutes or so even though the ward was empty at the time. Anyways, a few hours afterwards I collapsed at the dinning room table after suffering a massive reaction to the anesthetic which I actually "died" for a few minutes. Ambulance came along and I was kept in hospital for the night. A few years ago they used to keep you in for 24hours+ after an operation, but due to MASSIVE debt's they now kick you out almost immediatley. If I was in hospital I could of had a "better" chance of being resusactated (sp) But alas Gordon would rather spend shite on the olpympics. So yes, I am complaining and will continue to complain.

I have no beef with the education system since I left a few year back and it was good then Smile

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:10 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to that BBC calculator I am £56 pounds better off. That is effectively only due to the income tax changes.

My council tax has gone up by more than that, so I am already losing out, before you even start to look at the overall rise in the cost of living.

I don't have to worry about stamp duty because there is no hope of me being able to afford a house in the near future - I'll have to continue making someone else money by renting my flat.

What a cack country, and what a money-robbing, service-wrecking government.

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
whats all the delayed until 2010 about? isnt this for the upcoming year?

No, that's so people forget about it then it's quietly introduced later.

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:

I don't have to worry about stamp duty because there is no hope of me being able to afford a house in the near future - I'll have to continue making someone else money by renting my flat.

What a cack country, and what a money-robbing, service-wrecking government.
Hello Mister James, can I just ask how old you are? Because I remember watching a program about 2 two girls who bought some small terraced house in london for £250k!!! Shocked even though they were only 24 and it was 5 times their salaries (Up north that could buy you 26 million terrace houses Razz Laughing ). But the woman on the show was saying this could be a mistake cause the average age of a house buyer in the UK currently is 34 Sad

You should try and move to Japan with Kawishma for some lovley asian totty Laughing Thumbs Up

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 23:56 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

27, on a salary of around the same.

When I get a place I want it to be mine, assuming I don't have a partner - which is unfortunately the case at the moment.

I would need closer to 8-10 times my salary to buy a decent place in Harrow, and due to other financial commitments there is no way that I can afford that. New-build flats nearer to my place of work in Heathrow would cost around 180-200k because of the prime location, despite the cackness of the area.

Despite doing a more difficult job than the average screw, I don't count as a key worker because I work for a private contractor - thus no fancy loans or grants.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 00:00 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to point out that that BBC calculator doesn't take into account one of the most dramatic changes in the budget, income tax basic rate down by 2%, so a lot of you will be better off than you think.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 00:08 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.listentotaxman.com/ says that I'll be about £6 better off a month in my paypacket. Hardly something to shout about.

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that single Mums with low incoms are worse of now . . . . thats me Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2