Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dog eating poo

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Dog eating poo Reply with quote

My dog keeps eating her own poo! I try stopping her but she tries it all the time when she goes out to do her stuff.

I was told she could have a aore stomach thats why she does it but she has been doing it for two months now. Is there anything i can get for her ?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A roll of masking tape around the muzzle Very Happy

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have visions of a huge turd that goes around eating small puppies... I need to get out more...

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or wait until it's eating the aformentioned chod and smash it in the arse with a ball hammer

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:51 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is to distract her attention away from it with a toy or something noisy.

There is unlikely to be anything wrong with her. Dogs are just dirty animals who eat shit sometimes.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

See? Stink recommended the ball hammer too

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you eat it first ? That way she'll get out of the habit quickly. Wink

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Everready wrote:
Why don't you eat it first ? That way she'll get out of the habit quickly. Wink

Nah, she'll see it as competition and start eating it right out of her own arse. The dog, not dragonfly.

CoronaBoner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 21 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ireland last year I stood in a pack of hounds, which was frankly quite scary as they were all going crazy.

I asked the guy "why are they eating their own turd?" and he said it was because they got fed loads of tripe Sick that is very tough for them to digest and that they resort to eating their own turd as it's soft and has some goodness to it! Shocked

https://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3417/ihoundsqn7.jpg

Cluck cluck chicken
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jull
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:55 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard that if the dog is stressed they do it too.

Don't you just love it when you get a big sloppy lick on the mouth! Sick

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:44 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.fugly.com/videos/7358/exploding_dog_2.html

Confused

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rhys
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:52 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dog eats my rabbits poo! theres him running around shitting everywhere and my dog following closely behind like a hoover! what possesses her to do it i do not know...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs eating it's own poo.. aka coprophagia

I was told by one of my lecturers, one of his friends had a dog that ate it's own poo, in an attempt to freshen his breath everytime she caught him she'd stick one of those breath mint/strips that dissolve on his tongue, this actually made him stop...

that may of been down to her keeping a close eye on him as well and putting him off.. or as stink' says, distracting pooch.

some info here: https://www.petbehaviourcentre.com/articles/a_poo.htm

if that doesn't help just google 'dog eating poo' gave me lots of results..

my dogs are quite keen on sheep shite and my uncles like chicken shite ... which is crap, plent of worms to be taken up in those Confused

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldnt help thinking...

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/villersCBR/spycopy.jpg

I know our puppy used to do it when he was very young, soon got out of it by simply getting him away as quick as possible.

Is it not some ridiculous track covering instinct from when they were feral dogs? Like rolling in the most foul smelling thing they can find?

Remember once my mates beagle ate a huge human turd on the beach at fleetwood. Yum! Sick

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but from the thread title I was expecting the poo to be eating the dog? Confused

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 23 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what way you say the title of the thread there Laughing

Well at least i know she is not weird and most dogs do this i was getting worried. The breath is discusting after a chow down on the poo, do they make doggy mints?

colezxr
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:31 - 23 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

a freind of mine had the same thing with his dog, and what he ended up doing is changing the dogs food, gave it less meet and more dry food
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 23 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:

I was told by one of my lecturers, one of his friends had a dog that ate it's own poo, in an attempt to freshen his breath everytime she caught him she'd stick one of those breath mint/strips that dissolve on his tongue, this actually made him stop...

https://www.mypetoutlet.com/images/Yip_Yap_Strips.jpg

without looking at the ingredients I'd assume they're the same as the human ones...just pricier

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 23 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was told she could have a aore stomach thats why she does it

Where's the logic in that?

I can't imagine excrement is a great medicine for an iffy stomach.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 24 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

akaDAVE wrote:
Quote:
I was told she could have a aore stomach thats why she does it

Where's the logic in that?

I can't imagine excrement is a great medicine for an iffy stomach.

The guy in the pet shop told me that. He said she is trying to vomit and thats why she eats the shit. Shocked

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 24 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:

The guy in the pet shop told me that. He said she is trying to vomit and thats why she eats the shit. Shocked

Thought it was grass they eat if they want to chuck up?https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/finglonga/Finglonga%20Inc/ne_nau.gif.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 24 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:

sounds like a crock of shite to me, I'm sure Stink will know. Our dogs eat grass to balance out the tripe/meat and biscuits they get, I've never seen them eat their own terds, seen them eat sheep poo... I have seen our dogs jump up and pick pears and apples then eat them off the trees Neutral, rasperries too.. though they dont like the gooseberrys Laughing

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 24 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always knew them to eat poo when bored, our Staffie nearly 6 occassionaly has the taste for some turd, and gets a swift kick in the chuff for it.

Seems to answer most questions:

Quote:
The subject of dogs that eat their own or other dogs faeces is something that is normally passed over in polite society because we do not like to talk about it. However our sensitivity about the subject is not shared by those dogs that indulge in it. Despite our reticence to talk about it the problem is a common one that may reflect the fact that the dog has evolved from individuals that scavenged around man’s dwellings. Abhorrent to us or not the behaviour is normal and allows food absorption to be maximised which would have a survival value in times of hardship in the wild. We have to bear in mind that for some species, such as rabbits, eating the faeces is the normal and necessary secondary stage of the way food is processed. In dogs and some other mammals the behaviour is also seen as a manifestation of the maternal instinct for nest cleaning and licking immobile puppies to cause defecation and urination, the consequences of which are consumed.

Why particular individuals indulge in the habit of coprophagia despite the fact that their owners provide them with their food has been the subject of several explanations. These include: dietary deficiency; a learnt behaviour developed during a period of boredom e.g. during prolonged kennelling in puppyhood; a significantly high incidence has been found in puppies that have had to fend for themselves, strays for example (Serpell and Jagoe 1995). Sometimes the faeces seem to have food value because of the richness of the depositors diet and/or the fact that not all nutrients have been drawn out during digestion. Perhaps combinations of these are possibilities in different cases.

Various ways of overcoming the problem by altering what a dog eats have been advocated. These include changing the diet to one of the premium dried foods. These are processed more easily by the dog’s body before being passed and the resultant faeces are less appealing. Various additions to the diet are thought to be helpful, such as pineapple chunks, because of the presence of an enzyme that aids digestion. In many cases adding sterilised bonemeal to the diet reduces the attraction of a dog’s faeces because they are drier and less palatable. Adding 10% fibre to the diet has also been advocated as a method of controlling the problem - this can be achieved by using a bulkier dry diet or by adding fibrous material such as bran or boiled green vegetables to the normal diet. If your dog has a coprophagic habit you should discuss dietary aspects of this antisocial behaviour with your veterinary surgeon in more detail. They will also be able to exclude physical causes for the behaviour, an important step if the onset is sudden, and can prescribe some additives for the diet that will make the dog’s own faeces less palatable.

Whatever the cause of the behaviour it is often developed into a worse problem by the owner's response. For example their understandable dislike of their dog’s habit may cause them to rush out into their garden with spade in hand to clear up before their dog can eat what it has passed. From the dog's point of view this may look like competition and some become so determined to beat their owners to it they will eat what they have done as soon as they have done it.

The best way to undo this learning at home is to make the act of toileting a prelude to something more interesting to your dog than eating what it has just done. When you let your dog into your garden or yard stand near a window in position where your dog is unable to see you. When your dog relieves itself open the door that will allow it to re-enter your home and as soon as it arrives give it a titbit reward or some of its daily food allowance, then leave it indoors while you clear the ground outside. After a few repetitions of this your dog should anticipate that as soon as it has relieved itself the door will open and it will receive food thus replacing its interest in what is lying on the ground behind it. Of course, you should not let your dog into your yard or garden if you are unable to supervise unless it is muzzled. If your dog has already developed a tendency to eat the unmentionable as soon as there is any chance that someone may try and clear up you may have to teach it that the sound of the door opening means something pleasant will follow when it enters before you start to teach it this in the context of relieving itself. This method will result in your dog receiving several small meals a day which in itself is a means of addressing the problem because the dog’s interest in faeces as a source food should be reduced.

Stopping the behaviour when it is displayed towards faeces deposited by other dogs away from home may be more difficult to achieve and some owners have to rely on the use of a muzzle as a means of preventing their dog feasting whenever it is let off the lead. The increasing social pressure upon dog owners to scoop their dog’s poop and deposit it in an appropriate location should help to reduce the problem. Whenever possible dogs that are coprophagic should be walked where the faeces of other dogs are unlikely to be found.

In many cases however modifying the behaviour can be achieved by repeatedly approaching faeces with your dog on a lead, extending lead or long line and throwing down training discs, a rattle can (a sealed tin can with some pebbles in) etc., to inhibit your dog's approach behaviour. Eventually it should become suspicions that the training discs or rattle can will arrive as it approaches or shows interest in faeces and will avoid them. It is important that you use these techniques to stop your dog from approaching the items because the effectiveness of the learning will be much reduced if they arrive after it has started to consume them. You can also use the “off" technique and clicker training as a means of developing and reinforcing appropriate behaviour.

A paper presented at the first International Conference on Veterinary Behavioural Medicine discussed the effectiveness of a remote controlled collar that ejects compressed air at the ground as a means of inhibiting dogs from picking up food bits left on the ground. This was found to by highly successful as a means of reducing the dogs interest in the food baits the researchers had left out (Pageat P. and Tessier Y.). Should such a device ever become commercially available it would have an obvious application as a means of inhibiting coprophagia.

Sometimes the use of taste deterrents, such as tobasco sauce or chilli powder is advocated as a means of putting a dog off. The idea is to sprinkle the faeces with these so that the dog finds the sensation in its moth unpleasant when it eats them. This approach tends not to be very successful because dogs have got relatively little sense of taste and their sense of smell allows them to identify which faeces to avoid if they are deterred by the taste.

As, and only as, a final resort in very serious cases dogs can be deterred form eating faeces by giving them an emetic (something to make them sick) the timing of which is such that an association is formed causing the dog to avoid faeces in future. Of course this approach requires veterinary involvement.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 24 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt that a copy and paste from the link I put i a previous post? Neutral

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 24 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
Isnt that a copy and paste from the link I put i a previous post? Neutral

Now that you mention it, yep.

Sorry
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2